Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Recommendation for Phoenix Laser 40 ARF

Hi,

I recently bought a Phoenix Laser 40 ARF plane from SHS and I am wondering what I should get for the engine. The manufacturer recommended to use either a 2-stroke 40-50 size engine or a 4-stroke 50-70 size engine.

I am thinking of getting either a OS50SX engine or a Saito-56. Does anyone have any comments about the performance difference between these 2? Which is more fuel efficient?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!

HI Swiftlancer,

OS50 = brute outright power, even on 15% nitro fuel. Wait till you let her drink 20% nitro, ballistic! No joke Also swings a 11*7 prop with ease. If need a little more speed, try 11*8, definitely more faster

Saito56 = slightly less power but fantastic fuel economy, mine swings a 11*7 MK prop tached at 11200rpm, on 20% CoolPower fuel. On a tankful of 330cc 20% fuel, i can fly full throttle for 12 minutes flat plus that 4-stroke purr.... priceless

Comment

Astroboy, I thought you would say SAITO 100 !!!

Comment

Originally posted by fullmoon
        Astroboy, I thought you would say SAITO 100 !!!
        Oi! Fullmoon, cannot lah, you want me to die is it? he asked about saito56 mah, i'd rather explain the options to him than recommend him this or that, everyone's budget is different lah

Comment

Thanks Astroboy for your valuable inputs

If I use OS50SX on the same tankful of 330cc 20% fuel, roughly how long would it fly on full throttle?? Any idea??

I am thinking along the line that if I buy Saito now (at a higher price than OS), I may have a longer term savings on fuel.

Actually, is a 50 2-stroke engine equivalent to a 70 4-stroke engine in terms of power and fuel comsumption?? Or 46 2-stroke is to 65 4-stroke? I cant find any references leh...

Comment

You should be getting about 8~9 minutes max.

Yes, 46~50-sized 2-strokes are equivalent to a saito72~saito82, for your info the new saito82 is 6 grammes lighter than the saito72, and it's only about $50 more

Just a quick note:

OS46 weighs about the same as the OS50,

Saito72 weighs about the same as the Saito82,

Saving fuel...mmm... i think we should not think so much about saving fuel, because even if you have a frugal-burning 4-stroker, you may fly more flights than others on any given day, in the end you burn more fuel, so most important is what you really want in a engine, and just enjoy flying, for me i like 4-strokers for the sound, the instantaenous throttle response, the ability to swing a larger prop, the higher torque it produces, of course it's more expensive, but then again all these boils down to individual taste and liking.

OS50 is cheaper to buy, it gives kick-ass power on a 11*7 prop, it gives very high rpm, 2-strokers are screamers, this engine can fly on many other planes down the road.

Part of the main factor is what plane you have at the moment, a trainer plane just needs a reliable 2-stroker to putt around, a scale plane would definitely need a 4-stroker for that nice exhaust sound. Cheers

Comment

After reading your feedback, I think I might just bite the bullet and get a Saito 82 instead

Roughly how much is it by the way??

Comment

good move, it is close to $450 I think. OS50 is half of that $220. Saito better resale value and sound very scale. Saito is expensive and not as fast as a OS50
                JCho

Comment

yup, about $450~450

Jcho: yah lah yah lah your OS50 faster lah

Go to this unofficial Saito website put up by Brenton Watkins, his webiste is even more informative than the rest

Go to "Specifications" tab and click it, you should be able to have a better understanding of their weights and physical dimensions, one thing to note, Saito is the only co. that makes 4-strokers, no 2-strokes

And they always comes out with a new engine size but at the same weight to the earlier model it replaces, that's good

Comment

Thanks a lot guys

I'll check it out.

Need to start building up my plane soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X