Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canary - Trainer design for my school

Recently, my course manager discussed with me on how to motivate our students to take up aeromodelling. Apart from setting up a few trainers with buddy cord system, RC model aircraft building is also in the menu.

However, there are many factors which will determine the building session will be a successful one or a flop. Student's initial attention span is usually quite short and they'll want to see quick results rather than to spending time on lengthy sessions to build and just to destroy the craft in few seconds, which will almost definitely kill thier interest instantly.

While balsa planes are ideal airframes technically, the complicated structures often put them off even before getting started, although some of the my students enjoyed the fruit of their labour. Recently, one of the 2 teams taking part in Flugtug has purchased tonnes of 1" think blue foam and have many surplus lying in the clubroom. They take up quite a some spaces and blocking part of the walking path within the room. Before anyone suggested to get rid of them, I see this opportunity to come up with a simple trainer aircraft design which is largely made up from 1" blue foam. I probably have enough foam to build a 100 of them.

This project is designed for beginner builder and flyer, although I also hope that some advance pilots may show interest to build one for themselves. And so, the design should meet the following criterias;

1) Easy to build
    2) Easy to fly
    3) Does not need elaborated and expensive tools
    4) Raw materials readily available
    5) Good looking
    6) Safe to operate
    7) Ergonomical to operate

I had previously came up with designs with pusher props for safety and ergonomical reasons, but somehow, their outlines are simply too boring. When I take a second look at them, they look not much different from commercially available pusher prop trainers like Sky Surfer, Cloudfly, Easystar,etc.

One day, I was surfing the internet, looking at Autogyro designs, something really caught my eyes, and being a pusher, all I need is to redesign the fuselage and tail to accept a pair of fixed wings and the empennage.

I was so excited with the pleasing outlines, that I took just a few days from drawing to fabrication. The original has a V-tail and had since been replaced by a conventional empennage, due to 2 crashes from severe dutch rolling. The motor is a 20gram HK outrunner 2000kv spinning a 3 bladed 6x3 prop. The ESC is Hobbywing 10amp and fed by a 2S 850mah Lipo. For simplicity, the design only needs 2 pieces of 5gram servos for rudder and elevator.

I have flown it on a fully charged pack, all the way till the BEC low-voltage cutoff sets in. The total flight time was 23 minutes with wild aerobatics like loops and rolls. Yes, it rolls in rudder pretty well.

From the picture, you can see the repair glue joint. It was induced during the second and most violent crash into a tree. Currently, I am building another 3 fuselages for the club. I really like the way the paintjob turns out to be.

As for the name, I wanted something cute and appropriate. From the looks of yellow and orange fuselage, they match well with the various types of Canary I have seen from the internet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121028_121856.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	985837Click image for larger version

Name:	36633_10151215630244530_29289859_n.jpg
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	985836

Canary.......

Name:	Bird,%20390.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	972644

Comment

Looks good and promising. I'd support it if it gets us more stick time for a good cause.

Anyhow, thought you'd be thinking of Combat Canaries soon?

Comment

Not really. I thought of building a double sized balsa and fibreglass version of the canary, one day.

Comment

I Know !! ...build a motorless canary and go Sedilli throw !!!
          Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Sayang leh, unless I made it out of EPP.

Comment

I think that is a brilliant design. I like the 3 bladed pusher prop.

Comment

can put plans or cutting layout here?
                "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I'm conducting a workshop for Canary building tomorrow morning. I'll post more information once I incorporate the changes I've made to the templates.

Comment

By now, I have more than 10 flights with the model. I've tested out all kind of bad habits it can have, but it turned out to be very pleasant to fly. The only bad habit it has is slight tendency to pitch down on sudden acceleration. The second model has about 1 degree of up thrust incorporates, but yet to be tested.

Other than that, it is a pure joy to fly. It only has rudder steering, but I can roll it on both sides even without ailerons. I can also force it to sustain inverted flight to a certain degree if I work hard enough. The 3 bladed prop limits the terminal velocity if you put it to a full power dive, and also acts as an effective airbrake when it windmills with the throttle cut.

You can give a power off hard toss and see it glides for about 6-8 seconds before you hit the throttle and climb away. It can be flown in small flying field and I can even confidently fly it around a tree.

I also did numerous hand catch landings with this little bird.

Apart from the stupid things I've done with this model, I also tested it out on bad attitude recovery. I tried putting this plane in awkward situations and then let go all the controls to see how it recovers. Whether with full power, part power or throttle cut, it'll just porpoise for once and quickly dampening out to a straight and level flight, almost like a free flight model. As long as it is clear from any obstacles, this model virtually flies on its own.

Comment

Nice planes

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                      Recently, my course manager discussed with me on how to motivate our students to take up aeromodelling. Apart from setting up a few trainers with buddy cord system, RC model aircraft building is also in the menu.

However, there are many factors which will determine the building session will be a successful one or a flop. Student's initial attention span is usually quite short and they'll want to see quick results rather than to spending time on lengthy sessions to build and just to destroy the craft in few seconds, which will almost definitely kill thier interest instantly.

While balsa planes are ideal airframes technically, the complicated structures often put them off even before getting started, although some of the my students enjoyed the fruit of their labour. Recently, one of the 2 teams taking part in Flugtug has purchased tonnes of 1" think blue foam and have many surplus lying in the clubroom. They take up quite a some spaces and blocking part of the walking path within the room. Before anyone suggested to get rid of them, I see this opportunity to come up with a simple trainer aircraft design which is largely made up from 1" blue foam. I probably have enough foam to build a 100 of them.

This project is designed for beginner builder and flyer, although I also hope that some advance pilots may show interest to build one for themselves. And so, the design should meet the following criterias;

1) Easy to build
                      2) Easy to fly
                      3) Does not need elaborated and expensive tools
                      4) Raw materials readily available
                      5) Good looking
                      6) Safe to operate
                      7) Ergonomical to operate

I had previously came up with designs with pusher props for safety and ergonomical reasons, but somehow, their outlines are simply too boring. When I take a second look at them, they look not much different from commercially available pusher prop trainers like Sky Surfer, Cloudfly, Easystar,etc.

One day, I was surfing the internet, looking at Autogyro designs, something really caught my eyes, and being a pusher, all I need is to redesign the fuselage and tail to accept a pair of fixed wings and the empennage.

I was so excited with the pleasing outlines, that I took just a few days from drawing to fabrication. The original has a V-tail and had since been replaced by a conventional empennage, due to 2 crashes from severe dutch rolling. The motor is a 20gram HK outrunner 2000kv spinning a 3 bladed 6x3 prop. The ESC is Hobbywing 10amp and fed by a 2S 850mah Lipo. For simplicity, the design only needs 2 pieces of 5gram servos for rudder and elevator.

I have flown it on a fully charged pack, all the way till the BEC low-voltage cutoff sets in. The total flight time was 23 minutes with wild aerobatics like loops and rolls. Yes, it rolls in rudder pretty well.

From the picture, you can see the repair glue joint. It was induced during the second and most violent crash into a tree. Currently, I am building another 3 fuselages for the club. I really like the way the paintjob turns out to be.

As for the name, I wanted something cute and appropriate. From the looks of yellow and orange fuselage, they match well with the various types of Canary I have seen from the internet.
                      Good job, nice.

Comment

interested in your canary planes

hi, you have really cool and simple looking planes there. i'm interested in building one for myself. are you able to send me plans for it?
                        thanks.
                        -ray

Comment

like the red one nice and cute build joe yap.

Comment

Thanks, I'm still in the process of tidying up the design and my workshop. Those who wants the plans, please PM me an email addreess for sending the attachment. The plans are in DWG extension and will need CAD programs to open.

Comment

Anyway, here is how it goes.....

The first item to fabricate is the fuselage core. It started out from a 13" x 6" x 1" thick blue foam. You can use white or pink foam if you want.

The most important step is to make sure that the foam block is true and square to start with, unless you plan to build a banana. The next item to follow is hotwire cutting of th recess at the bottom for the carbon tube tailboom. If you miss this step, it'll be very difficult to do this later once you cut the fuselage side profile out.

This is done by pinning the 2 templates at the forward and aft edge of the block. If the first pass of hotwire cutting does not produce the correct profile, give another one or 2 passes. The recess must be properly cut out before attempting to remove on to the next step.

Name:	20121105_131457.jpg
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	972737Click image for larger version

Name:	20121105_131103.jpg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	972736

Comment

Working...
                              X