Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing ailerons surface area

Hello, i have a cloudsfly but the ailerons are not really sensitive even without expo. I intend to tape something to extend the current ailerons. Any materials to recommend? Preferably something that i can buy from popular. Cos LHS are quite inconvenient. I saw people using those plastic boards bought from popular(many buy that board for projects or banners).

stock cloudsfly works well leh

maybe u never put your servo travel far enuff?

suggest you bring it to the field where u fly and seek a 2nd opinion
    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by xiiaoda View Post
      Hello, i have a cloudsfly but the ailerons are not really sensitive even without expo. I intend to tape something to extend the current ailerons. Any materials to recommend? Preferably something that i can buy from popular. Cos LHS are quite inconvenient. I saw people using those plastic boards bought from popular(many buy that board for projects or banners).
      Yes, the ailerons are not so effective as the Cloudsfly is a pusher prop model.

In a "normal" model with a tractor prop, i.e. prop at the nose pulling the model forward, there is considerable amount of airflow (prop wash) going over the ailerons at the wing. This gives more responsiveness.

For your Cloudsfly, you can certainly maximize the aileron throw. You also need to couple the rudder to the ailerons using your TX mixing function. So when you want to turn using ailerons, the rudder will automatically deflect so as to "help" the ailerons.

At least, that's what I do with my Cloudsfly. Another option is to make it fly faster... more airflow over the wings makes the aileron more responsive. Chop off part of the wings as per the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAspCsgePJ8
      ------------------------------
      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Use what to cut the foam so nicely?

Comment

Don't chop off the ailerons just yet.

Most glider wing designs have rather sluggish aileron roll rate, but it is normal. To improve this, you can programme rudder coupling like mentioned before, and aileron differential, meaning you'll have more throws on the upcoming aileron than the down throws.

Being a tractor or pusher does not make a lot of difference for the cloudfly, as the ailerons are placed much further outboard and still won't be behind the prop wash even in the tractor configuration.

If you are looking for roll rates like 3D planes, go get an aeorbatic plane. If not, Just stick to the previous recommendations will do. Afterall, there were at least near a hundred of Cloudfly being sold and flown and no one else is complaining.

Comment

Working...
          X