Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landing guidance

I just bought a fms 1.4m j3 cub. Maidened it already but find it quite hard to land, problem being that it is too bouncy. I like the spring main gear, but hard to touchdown smoothly.

I tried the powered glide with throttle management, but then slightest bump sends the cub up in air.

Thanks bro.
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Keep practice as long as you can walk away with the air worthy plane.

You can try to slow the plane little, but watch out for stall.

Comment

The best way to prevent the Kangaroo landing is to do a 3 point landing. This means power management.
      Good luck
      Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

As the is the practice for full size planes, you trim the elevator for landing and leave it. Then treat your throttle like you would the elevator, higher throttle = up, lower throttle = down. Throttle to idle and pull up elevator to flare before touch down.
        To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

if you can, get a simulator and practice. it's the cheapest way to have as much hands on time as possible.

same with what everyone else said. don't 'force' the plane down or dive as that will increase airspeed even though your throttle is at a zero setting. do a longer, slower, less steep landing approach with minimal throttle and maintain straight and level just above the ground. let the speed bleed off on it's own and flare at the last instance and throttle down.

how's the landing surface? is it uneven ground? a bumpy grass patch, together with your spring gears, will likely be the cause of the bounces.
          "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
          E-starter (GWS) - On "Fire", Trainer, -Sold
          SPITFIRE (GWS) - On "Fire", -Sold
          T-45 Goshhawk 64 mm EDF - Lift-off!
          UAV Scratch Build Ver1.1 - It flies! -Sold
          Mini Cessna scratch build - fun!
          F330 Quadcopter W/KK2 V1.5 - Finally Tuned!
          Charger- Turnigy AC6
          sigpic

Comment

The link shows the procedure for landing and it is relevant to small aircraft and even works for rc. very detailed info on the whole landing circuit pattern and effects of wind etc. good to know:

http://www.syfc.sg/documents/Trainin...20Circuits.pdf
            "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
            Charger- Turnigy AC6
            sigpic

Comment

Probably you try to configure a flaps switch on your controller to slow down your plane upon landing.

Comment

raidor88, the 1.4m j3 doesnt have flaps.
                i have it too. wad i do is cut the throt to 0 because it floats like hell..
                then give it a little up elevator ( if the plane drops quickly, give some throttle, then correct accordingly)
                just few inches before touchdown, give MORE ELE to allow the plane to touchdown on all 3 wheels...hope this helps. KEEP PRACTICING! GOOD LUCK
                RC IS A POISON!

Comment

Originally posted by aeronautical View Post
                  The link shows the procedure for landing and it is relevant to small aircraft and even works for rc. very detailed info on the whole landing circuit pattern and effects of wind etc. good to know:

http://www.syfc.sg/documents/Trainin...20Circuits.pdf
                  Good article. Thanks.

Comment

Land Like a Pro

Hi,

Here is an article from Model Airplane News that I find it very helpful -a good guide to new pilots and a good 'refresher' for experienced ones

Happy Landing!!

Comment

Pilot position at landing, start/midway/end of runway?

How true - take off is optional but landings are compulsory.

Where should the rc pilot stand when landing? I found:
                      1) For the beginner/maidens/unfamiliar aircraft - start of runway?
                      2) For the lazy/workhorse, end of runway?
                      3) For the accomplished - anywhere including far far away

1) Start of runway - with the finals in the easier tail-in manner, it is easier to make a controlled landing, keep wings levelled, bleed speed, activate flaps/spolierons, watch for touch down and cut throttle... but gotta walk to retrieve and change the lipo... glamourous score 2/10

2) End runway - the finals is head-in with both AIL/RUD reversed. If the field permits, take the base lag at a distance away to allow the pilot to figure out the controls (and reverse mentally), reduce throttle and manage elevator to flare to touch down. The plane coasts towards to the pilot as if "I've flown the plane to my feet" and dont have to walk to retrieve the plane... glamourous score 7.5/10 (nice!)

Midway of runway - not a fan of the snap-the-head-like-watching-a-tennis-match. It's a balance between not walking too far and safe landing... glamourous score 5.5/10 (ok)

3) For the accomplished - landing the plane after a mid-air collision with a plane wedged into the fuselage/other dead stick moments/high alpha touch down or it should have ended in a heap situations... glamourous score 11/10 (white stuff)

Comment

well said!

Originally posted by remauled View Post
                        How true - take off is optional but landings are compulsory.

Where should the rc pilot stand when landing? I found:
                        1) For the beginner/maidens/unfamiliar aircraft - start of runway?
                        2) For the lazy/workhorse, end of runway?
                        3) For the accomplished - anywhere including far far away

1) Start of runway - with the finals in the easier tail-in manner, it is easier to make a controlled landing, keep wings levelled, bleed speed, activate flaps/spolierons, watch for touch down and cut throttle... but gotta walk to retrieve and change the lipo... glamourous score 2/10

2) End runway - the finals is head-in with both AIL/RUD reversed. If the field permits, take the base lag at a distance away to allow the pilot to figure out the controls (and reverse mentally), reduce throttle and manage elevator to flare to touch down. The plane coasts towards to the pilot as if "I've flown the plane to my feet" and dont have to walk to retrieve the plane... glamourous score 7.5/10 (nice!)

Midway of runway - not a fan of the snap-the-head-like-watching-a-tennis-match. It's a balance between not walking too far and safe landing... glamourous score 5.5/10 (ok)

3) For the accomplished - landing the plane after a mid-air collision with a plane wedged into the fuselage/other dead stick moments/high alpha touch down or it should have ended in a heap situations... glamourous score 11/10 (white stuff)

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                        Charger- Turnigy AC6
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmchew View Post
                          raidor88, the 1.4m j3 doesnt have flaps.
                          i have it too. wad i do is cut the throt to 0 because it floats like hell..
                          then give it a little up elevator ( if the plane drops quickly, give some throttle, then correct accordingly)
                          just few inches before touchdown, give MORE ELE to allow the plane to touchdown on all 3 wheels...hope this helps. KEEP PRACTICING! GOOD LUCK
                          What I meant was treat your Alierons like flaps. Both pointing downwards.

Comment

Originally posted by raidor88 View Post
                            What I meant was treat your Alierons like flaps. Both pointing downwards.
                            Thanks all bros for comments.

I hot glued the landing struts... Now dosen't bounce as much. Heheh

Raidor88: bro using dx6i, so no option to program flaperons. COnsidering dx8...heheheh
                            Hanger
                            Hirobo XRB SR Lama
                            Hirobo Quark SRB
                            Hirobo Quark SRB SG
                            Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
                            Blade450 3D
                            MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
                            COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
                            Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
                            FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
                            Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
                            HK FLYJET EDF
                            Artech Skyfun
                            Dynam P51D Mustang
                            Parkzone P51

Tx:
                            Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
                            Spektrum DX6i
                            DX8
                            Futaba 9CAP

Comment

hi the dx6i can do flaperons

under wingtailmix, u set dualaile ACT
                              under mix 1, u set aile-> flap, sw flap
                              under FLAPS, u set land FLAP down XX

should be able to work... if not do a search around online, other forum or youtube. many guides on setting flaperons on dx6i

Comment

Working...
                              X