Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.P.A.D. Planes

Hi,

I wud like to check if anyone haf experience in making S.P.A.D. planes from scratch. Wud like some advice from any bros especially on most common probs that beginner S.P.A.D. builders will face.

Also it looks much easier than to build conventional balsa models from scratch especially no need to iron on cover. However issit rilly that much easier vs balsa scratch building?

I'm about to venture into the world of twin wall with the Mugi Evo. The website seems to have quite detailed build instructions. Twin wall seems quite promising as a build material from a durability perspective (newbie here). Not sure how much heavier it would be though.

Comment

Originally posted by wen931 View Post
      I'm about to venture into the world of twin wall with the Mugi Evo. The website seems to have quite detailed build instructions. Twin wall seems quite promising as a build material from a durability perspective (newbie here). Not sure how much heavier it would be though.
      hi bro, do pm me or post here some details or pics of yr build.

Yes from what I know planes built from twin wall are definitely heavier than balsa or foam models of the same design, but what most builders did is to enlarge the wing loading area of the plane to offset the heavier weight. But if you are building directly from a plan meant for twin wall plane, the proposed wing loading area should be enough already, no need modify unless you are building from normal plane plan.

Comment

Originally posted by beefncake View Post
        hi bro, do pm me or post here some details or pics of yr build.

Yes from what I know planes built from twin wall are definitely heavier than balsa or foam models of the same design, but what most builders did is to enlarge the wing loading area of the plane to offset the heavier weight. But if you are building directly from a plan meant for twin wall plane, the proposed wing loading area should be enough already, no need modify unless you are building from normal plane plan.
        I've only gone so far as to buy the material. I'm still in 2 minds about building it as from what I've read about the Mugi Evo, its quite a fast plane (delta but wing span only 800mm). I'm beginning to see why there are no or very few sub 1m SPAD planes. Probably wing loading too high. What do you think of hybrids to bring weight down? Twinwall wing with foam fuselage?

Any idea where to get 2mm twinwall? Popular sells 3mm and 4mm.

Comment

you can get it from Rochor Centre.

Go to Rochor Centre (it's opp Sim Lim Tower)

the shop sells party stuff and is opp the NTUC.

Ask for Plastic board

it should be there.
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by wen931 View Post
            I've only gone so far as to buy the material. I'm still in 2 minds about building it as from what I've read about the Mugi Evo, its quite a fast plane (delta but wing span only 800mm). I'm beginning to see why there are no or very few sub 1m SPAD planes. Probably wing loading too high. What do you think of hybrids to bring weight down? Twinwall wing with foam fuselage?

Any idea where to get 2mm twinwall? Popular sells 3mm and 4mm.
            The Mugi has lots of lift so a 24 inch (600mm) can carry a 2200mAh 3s without any problem. watch this video.
            A 800mm Mugi will require a lot more power to get to fly at speed. The plus side its larger so more visible and has lighter wing loading.

In addition I have modified the mugi to a single fin with a bottom keel and fuselage:
            The advantages:-
            1) Single fin easier to launch and has less drag
            2) bottom keel protects your hands during a hand launch and protects the propeller from breakage during landing.
            3) Motor mounting allows adjustment to angle thrust
            4)I added a chloro plastic spacer on left and right wing before folding so that the airfoil will come up symmetry after folding.
            5) A proper fuselage that provides additional lifts and lots of space for the battery to move about to get a correct c.g. Allows you to grip and launch in a normal way.

Watch video

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by beefncake View Post
              Hi,

I wud like to check if anyone haf experience in making S.P.A.D. planes from scratch. Wud like some advice from any bros especially on most common probs that beginner S.P.A.D. builders will face.

Also it looks much easier than to build conventional balsa models from scratch especially no need to iron on cover. However issit rilly that much easier vs balsa scratch building?
              go to this link....lots of pictures and videos...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by johnymac001
                Construction: Laser cut balsa and plywood
                Wings: One piece each bi-wing configuration with painted cabanes and
                interplane struts
                Covering: Factory applied Top Flite MonoKote
                Battery Compartment:
                Cowling: Vacuum formed plastic, radiator design with plywood frame
                Landing Gear: Pre-bent and factory painted
                Wheels: Two 3" (76mm) diameter lightweight foam tires on wheels
                Aileron Control: Dual servo on top wing
                Pilot Bust: Painted
                Hardware: Complete package designed for light weight and precise
                control response
                Building Time: Ready to fly in 6-8 hours
                Warranty: Great Planes Model Manufacturing Company guarantees this
                kit free from defects in both materials and workmanship at
                the date of purchase.
                Hello Johnny, this forum is about S.P.A.D. =Simple Plastic Airfoil Design.
                Looks like you are trying to promote some kind of kit here.

Comment

Don't bother to reply to a robot. This johnymac001 doesn't appear to be a human.

Comment

this one seems pretty cool

"Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
                    X