Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMS F6F Hellcat - comments?

Hi All,

Noticed some ppl at Tampines were flying this FMS F6F Hellcat (1.1m) warbird. Would like to know how this performs and handle? Considering that I'll be flying at Tampines.

Many Thanks!

Anyone flying this plane?

Comment

yes.

i am flying it but with upgraded motor.

i actually thot my stock motor was lousy (those bell type)
      cos at sudden increase throttle caused motor to screech.
      I now think / understand that has to do with ESC not being
      set to correct timing.

very stable flier. but wheels too small to rog or land on grass.
      or maybe i'm a crappy lander.

so i hand launch it, quite challenging at first cos u need 2 hands
      to hold and launch it, then quickly get ur hands on the sticks.
      a couple of times not fast enuf and she crashed.

pretty sturdy too. i once did a high G loop with big amt
      of elevator throws. that caused the battery hatch to fly out
      and my batt flew out too. abt 10 storeys high.
      she just flat spinned down and landed in one piece.

a flying kaki bought too and had lots of problem flying at first until
      i told him my flying weight was abt 1kg. when he matched
      that and cg, he was a happy puppy.

Comment

btw goot,

u flew ur 1400mm trojan already?
        wld like some tips on flying / building her.

Comment

Originally posted by blushoes View Post
          btw goot,

u flew ur 1400mm trojan already?
          wld like some tips on flying / building her.
          Oh man, I crash my trojan on my maiden flight, was taking off and it just go left hard and crash hard. When I try to connect the battery again, smoke came out from the retracts and it's as good as gone.

My mustang was good, took off straight up and stable flying. Had a bad landing a few times and I found out the best way to land this baby is to turn off the throttle completely and let it glide down and give it a bit of up elevator before landing, if not your landing gear will bend, the landing gear is lousy and they don't keep stock of the replacement!

Comment

[QUOTE=boliao7378;528640]Oh man, I crash my trojan on my maiden flight, was taking off and it just go left hard and crash hard. When I try to connect the battery again, smoke came out from the retracts and it's as good as gone. \QUOTE]

sorry to hear that man. :P
            was it the torque effect that cause the left turn?

if JH dont sell replacement retracts, u can order them from rc (dash) castle dot com

Comment

No idea man it happen so fast that I don't even know what happen. Thanks for the URL, will check them out.

I love the big plane but transport is a pain and the amount of wire that u need to connect is just crazy lol. Especially when u need to dismental it and water starts dropping from the sky!!

[QUOTE=blushoes;528691]
              Originally posted by boliao7378 View Post
              Oh man, I crash my trojan on my maiden flight, was taking off and it just go left hard and crash hard. When I try to connect the battery again, smoke came out from the retracts and it's as good as gone. \QUOTE]

sorry to hear that man. :P
              was it the torque effect that cause the left turn?

if JH dont sell replacement retracts, u can order them from rc (dash) castle dot com

Comment

[QUOTE=boliao7378;528726]No idea man it happen so fast that I don't even know what happen. Thanks for the URL, will check them out.

I love the big plane but transport is a pain and the amount of wire that u need to connect is just crazy lol. Especially when u need to dismental it and water starts dropping from the sky!!

I also have a 1400mm t-28 still nib.
                Is your plane still fixable? Fms planes are quite tough.

Comment

Yap it is but I'm too lazy to work on it right now. Want to fly my other planes. Yes FMS 1.4 birdies are tough, but my T28 the crash hard, real hard and I think I might even spoil some of the servo.

Somehow after buying this T28 and setting it up, I just don't like it, can't have a feel of it. Love the Shangrila Mustang though. Maybe that's why it crash on me, my T28 bird must be offended and hurt knowing I don't really love her LOL.

[QUOTE=raidor88;528753]
                  No idea man it happen so fast that I don't even know what happen. Thanks for the URL, will check them out.

Comment

Hi Blueshoes,

Thank you for responding to this thread. I was starting to wonder if this plane is popular at all I couldn't resist it and bought it last week. On Saturday, I drove down to the Tuas area to maiden it. I had the wheels installed and just when I was about to taxi it, one of the mounting plates (on the wing) for the wheel dropped off. So much for factory gluing. I removed the other wheel and tried to hand launch it. I've been so used to hand launching my T28 mini at 3/4 throttle. I did the same thing on the hell cat and before I knew it, it nosed into the ground a couple of feet away. I didn't get even airspeed I guess. I broke the prop and that was the end for the hellcat for that day. I guess I should have put it to full throttle (worried abt torque though) and increased my D/R from 40%-> 60% for Ailerons and 60%->80% for Elevators. Aside from broken props, there was no damage to the airframe. I bought replacement props already and will try to fly it again, maybe at the Tampines CD field instead.

Originally posted by blushoes View Post
                    yes.

i am flying it but with upgraded motor.

i actually thot my stock motor was lousy (those bell type)
                    cos at sudden increase throttle caused motor to screech.
                    I now think / understand that has to do with ESC not being
                    set to correct timing.

very stable flier. but wheels too small to rog or land on grass.
                    or maybe i'm a crappy lander.

so i hand launch it, quite challenging at first cos u need 2 hands
                    to hold and launch it, then quickly get ur hands on the sticks.
                    a couple of times not fast enuf and she crashed.

pretty sturdy too. i once did a high G loop with big amt
                    of elevator throws. that caused the battery hatch to fly out
                    and my batt flew out too. abt 10 storeys high.
                    she just flat spinned down and landed in one piece.

a flying kaki bought too and had lots of problem flying at first until
                    i told him my flying weight was abt 1kg. when he matched
                    that and cg, he was a happy puppy.

Comment

How did you know I got a Trojan 1400mm. Don't feel so bad, I also crashed my trojan last saturday along with my Hellcat on both their maidens. Mine too turned left hard and crashed. There was some cross wind too and maybe my d/r set too low 40% Ailerons / 60% Elevator. My steering servo also kong out. It crashed hard on its nose, broken prop, one of the cowl brakes, front door for the steering wheel. I had to perform major surgery and cut open the nose to fix the bent motor mount. part of the foam for the nose also got ripped out. I managed to fix everything, and will need to get a replacement servo. I'm determined to fly this bugger.. Yes, transportation is a hassle. I'm inclined to get the Dynam 1200mm Trojan.

Oh man, I crash my trojan on my maiden flight, was taking off and it just go left hard and crash hard. When I try to connect the battery again, smoke came out from the retracts and it's as good as gone.

My mustang was good, took off straight up and stable flying. Had a bad landing a few times and I found out the best way to land this baby is to turn off the throttle completely and let it glide down and give it a bit of up elevator before landing, if not your landing gear will bend, the landing gear is lousy and they don't keep stock of the replacement!

Comment

Actually if you have a MPV, the t28 can fit into the back of the car with the centre row seats down. Alternatively you can remove the wings with the wires attached. Yes it's a pain to connect the wires, my next plane with be without so many wires.

Considering the failed maiden for the hellcat and t28, I flew my trust t28mini and it flew like a bird. Beautiful and easy to hand launch. It's a rugged plane. Once I flew and hit the side of the trailer on landing and no damage. Amazing! Also, runs on 2s or 3s lipo. Cheap. It's just 800mm and no retracts. I even bought another just for keeps.

[QUOTE=raidor88;528753]

Comment

How long did your t-28 run before you pull the elevator? I believe it need a certain speed before it will negate the torque effect.
                          A lot of people including me tend to gan jiong and pull the ele too early.

Comment

I belong to one of those gan cheong ones and pull too soon and didn't give it full throttle. At 3/4 throttle I start to pull up all the way and it ran for abt 5-7meters. I tried to turn it around still climbing and 3/4 throttle and it lost airspeed and kiss the ground. Lol

Originally posted by raidor88 View Post
                            How long did your t-28 run before you pull the elevator? I believe it need a certain speed before it will negate the torque effect.
                            A lot of people including me tend to gan jiong and pull the ele too early.

Comment

hi goot.

i know u got trojan cos u replied me once when i asked where to
                              buy grey color one in singapore.
                              which btw, singapore dont have (only silver and white-red)

which btw, i now (becos of order cock up) have TWO grey ones
                              shipped from overseas. 1 is kit version, 1 is PNP version.
                              anyone interested in the kit can PM me. I might consider letting
                              it go or may keep it for parts.

u fly at tuas? is it ave 14? never been there..too far.
                              but dying for some decent hard surface runway to take off
                              and land.

back to FMS hellcat. Yesterday i saw a kaki fly his at tampines.
                              he upgraded his motor to a 1300kv. wah biang.
                              super fast. really macam like going for war!

mine is so docile with the 'upgraded' Emax motor from JH.
                              inspired to change my motor now.

as for hand launch. :P my very first maiden also suffered
                              this fate (with the stock motor). now i use full throttle and
                              give it a good hard throw and quickly hands on sticks.

once in awhile, still will kena nose dive before reaching
                              the sticks. maybe we shld give it a little up elev trim on launch.

Comment

Working...
                              X