Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building upsized Deceiver Pylon Racer - Charlatan

Been thinking about doing up a bigger pylon racer than the Deceiver / Swindler series by Joe Yap.

In theory, it is upsized to 1m wingspan.

started work today.

Generated templates from Profili.

Powered up the ol' cutting bow and wire

Cut myself out 4 (3 in picture) wing shapes

Later on, cut out airfoils

Probably still looking through the designs, I got them on Google Sketchup.

"Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Subscribed!
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

on
      Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Let's keep the momentum up; just 1 piece of work a day....

tonight.

din do much.

Found an ol' tube of GWS glue, so I used it to glue the foam wings and pieces together. Plastic clear sheet (the stuff you wrap books with) is stuck on the surfaces of the foam beds

start planning for internal spar arrangements. Of course, I'm sorta making the plan up as I go along and I use my old carbon pieces that I used before.

dug a channel with the Xacto knife for the square carbon spar to sit in

fill the channel with Elmers Pro bond, spray the area with water using an atomizer and smoosh the carbon rod in

Yup, it's in. The Elmers Pro bond will foam up and fill up the gaps. And of course, to protect the foam beds, that's why the plastic is used.

And of course, I stuck a piece of clear tape on top. later on I'll remove it.

"Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Bro Sunstorm, your new speed wing looked swee!
          Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Been busy with the scourge of the Singaporean male citizen which is healthy enough but not fit enough - RT.

Anyway;

prepared the foam beds and the balsa skins for the wing.

This is where I need help from seniors like Joe.

Top half of the skins overlap the bottom. Is this supposed to be done?

Doesn't feel very....stiff. Seems like it'll flutter.

Any opinions are welcome.

Comment

Yes, the top skin will go beyond the TE of the bottom skin. After the skins have been bonded onto the foam core, fill the area behind the TE of the lower skin with either balsa or microballoons/epoxy mix, before sanding to the final shape.

You can always lay some fibreglass cloths when you apply the epoxy under the skins before bonding. To further stiffened up the wings, you can use either basswood or spruce strips for the wing lead edge.

Comment

Just a little update.

I ruined the bottom wing skin because.....I tried to glass with water based resin and medium fibreglass

the whole thing warped big time

Comment

That's the problem with water-based varnish... suppose to wet out both sides of the surface so the balsa expand evenly.

Curious, if you had done this step for top/bottom skin together in the foam bed, would it have worked?

Comment

Dunno if it worked. Welcome back.... ( you're the guy that built that tiny Limit EX)

this is how it happened.

Joe Yap recommends that glassing with medium FG is good

so my wing skin was already in the wing bed.

Though, hey, let's glass the thing and do things one by one instead of stacking them all together like later on

So I wetted the balsa wth resin and put fibreglass on.

Painted on another layer of resin so that it's wet.

Waited 15 mins....man...balsa starting to warp.....

Waited 30 mins, it 'disbonded' from the wing beds and went 'doingggg....' - from concave to convex

Had to make another trip to JH for some moar balsa. darn

Comment

Don't bother to use water based resin or other adhesives that requires ventilation to dry out. After stacking up the foam beds/cores and the skins in place, there won't be much ventilations for these kind of adhesives to cure. If you don't use the foam beds and stack up the balsa skins and cores alone, in order to promote curing such adhesives, you'll probably get warped wings at the end too.

The best method is still to use epoxy that do no need to ventilate in order for the resin to cure. Furthermore, the strength of the bonds will be far more superior than most others. For high-performance models, which are subjected to extremely high loads, skimping on materials is not the way to go.

Comment

kk Joe

thank you for the advise. it is valuable

Anyway yups, so guess I'll have to mix up a batch of epoxy

*refers to Swindler thread

Comment

Just something to share with you from what I've read somewhere on the net, before you spread that resin onto the bare balsa...since balsa is porous it will soak up a fair bit of resin the end result will be some increase in overall weight. In order to prevent the resin from soaking into the balsa too much, get a cheap can of hair spray and spray the bare balsa on the side the resin is to be applied, when dried you can apply the resin, this will prevent the resin from soaking into the bare wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Curare View Post
                            Just something to share with you from what I've read somewhere on the net, before you spread that resin onto the bare balsa...since balsa is porous it will soak up a fair bit of resin the end result will be some increase in overall weight. In order to prevent the resin from soaking into the balsa too much, get a cheap can of hair spray and spray the bare balsa on the side the resin is to be applied, when dried you can apply the resin, this will prevent the resin from soaking into the bare wood.
                            Don't have hair spray ! ....can I slob on some x-tra hold hair gel instead ?
                            Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
                              Don't have hair spray ! ....can I slob on some x-tra hold hair gel instead ?
                              Tony, I think your hair is a little to grey to be using hair gel...hahaaha

Comment

Working...
                              X