Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove wing fastening screws with a stripped head

Seeking advise from experienced builders.

I just got the new FMS mini A-1 Skyraider with a detachable wing.

Unfortunately, the screws retaining the wing is of such poor quality that when I was going to disassemble it after first assembly, both the philip heads got stripped and rounded.

Pictures below:

What are the method(s) to remove screws in this condition? Had tried pliers, but the screws refuse to budge, and I am trying very hard (and failing) not to nick the foam wing.

Greatly apprecite any advise.

Cheers,

Wow, for a wing retaining screw to strip, you probably screwed it down with too much force in the first place? Or something wrong with the thread? Or use a wrong-sized screwdriver?

If you don't want to damage the foam, then try to CA or hot glue some rod (or your screwdriver, if you don't mind) to the screw head and slowly rotate it out... hopefully it holds. I tried before, works.
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Another way, if you can access the side of the screw... file two flat sides to make gripping surfaces, then rotate the screw out with a pair of pliers.
      ------------------------------
      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Few methods you can consider which worked for me when i encountered such situations.

First get a really good set of pilers.. the thin kind.

1. Use superglue and glue one of those unwanted screw drivers to the screw...then slow turn it just to give you enough for the thin pilers to do rest of the work. Once you have a good grip with the thin kind of pilers , then u can unscrew enough that the thick kind can get a grip. After that, it is just pilers all the wa.

Clean the screw driver with sharp knife of super glue

2. since yours is a foam plane and i see from you pic you have some kind of plastice washer... cut the washer, then use pilers to do the rest of the job... then replace it with a new washer ..

3. Worst case, use brute strength of the foam by squeezing it so the thin pair of pilers can get a grip. It is quite easy to repair to foam.

4. One method that didnt work for me but was suggested is to drill the screw. I find that the drill will go off and drill the foam and make holes.. after that, you might as well went with my above suggestion.

Originally posted by Sabre6 View Post
        Seeking advise from experienced builders.

I just got the new FMS mini A-1 Skyraider with a detachable wing.

Unfortunately, the screws retaining the wing is of such poor quality that when I was going to disassemble it after first assembly, both the philip heads got stripped and rounded.

Pictures below:

What are the method(s) to remove screws in this condition? Had tried pliers, but the screws refuse to budge, and I am trying very hard (and failing) not to nick the foam wing.

Greatly apprecite any advise.

Cheers,

Comment

If you have access to power tools like dremel. You can use cutting wheels careful cut slot in middle of the head. So you can use flat head screw driver to remove it. It work for me when I try to remove the screw when repair muffler on my engine.
          Hope it can help

Comment

hm.

just cut out the whole foam section and remove the screw along with it.

Then replace with another foam piece and epoxy it in place. If you really mind the unevenness, you can mix the stuff used to patch cracks in walls and sand the whole thing smooth.
            "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Jamming a small, sharpish, flat head screwdriver into the screw has worked for me a couple of times.

-David-

Comment

This is how I normally do it.

1. Cut a slot on the screw head with either hand saw (for metal not wood). Then, use a flat head screw driver to get it out.

2. Alternatively, cut off the screw head with a heavy duty pier/cutter. Now, you can safely remove the wing. use a strong pier to remove the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmDrones View Post
                  If you have access to power tools like dremel. You can use cutting wheels careful cut slot in middle of the head. So you can use flat head screw driver to remove it. It work for me when I try to remove the screw when repair muffler on my engine.
                  Hope it can help
                  +1

I've a micro servo screw stripped last week and dremel a (thick) spot and backed out using a thin flat head. Once the screw backed out sufficient to grab with pliers, grab with pliers and twust

Comment

Use a rotary tool eg. Dremel etc and grind a slot on the head with a rotary cutter. You don't need to have too deep a slot, just enough for your flat head screw driver to catch and turn the bolt.

The rotary cutter looks like this.

To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Thanks everyone for their advise. Actually went ahead and got myself a Dremel rotary tool. Unfortunately, clumsy old me just went ahead and mangle up the whole screw head. Was trying to avoid cutting the wing which I most succeed. Looks like it is down to using the drilling option for me now.....

Anyone know where I can get the necessary bits for this kind of operation? Or a regular bit will do?

Cheers,

Comment

Drilling works. I had one of the two prop adapter screws wear off on me. Managed to drill it out.

Secure the plane well and obviously try to do it safely. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X