Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home DIY folding Prop spinner

Having a H Hub lying around, and the spinner cost as much as a new one, its crazy to buy one, so I decided to make one from ply wood.

The idea is to cut 9 pcs of ply wood of varying radius and stick them together and shape out.

The disc are then epozy together and tapered down.

Next is to cut the slot for the H hub to sit in and drill the 2 holes to lock down the H Hub to the ply spinner.

Then test fit the H hub. everything looks good.

Drill 2 holes to access the grub screw in the H hub

Done!

Test spin the assembly at 12,000 rpm shows no vibration at all

The remaining nose cone will be made of balsa and shaped down. I chose Balsa to keep the weight down as full ply is quite heavy.
    Scratch building is more than cutting balsa wood and gluing them. Its a complex process that will test even the most resilient of people

Originally posted by flybywire View Post
    Having a H Hub lying around, and the spinner cost as much as a new one, its crazy to buy one, so I decided to make one from ply wood.

The idea is to cut 9 pcs of ply wood of varying radius and stick them together and shape out.

The disc are then epozy together and tapered down.

Next is to cut the slot for the H hub to sit in and drill the 2 holes to lock down the H Hub to the ply spinner.

Then test fit the H hub. everything looks good.

Drill 2 holes to access the grub screw in the H hub

Done!

Test spin the assembly at 12,000 rpm shows no vibration at all

The remaining nose cone will be made of balsa and shaped down. I chose Balsa to keep the weight down as full ply is quite heavy.

Related question, ever used a folding prop on a warbird? I tried it once and it (P47 Razorback) flew in a kind of weird manner...just trying to reduce my prop from breaking when belly landing

Comment

War bird does not require folding prop since it needs throttle most of the time and it loses its lift quite quickly if try gliding it. Folding prop is to reduce drag and windmilling.
      Scratch building is more than cutting balsa wood and gluing them. Its a complex process that will test even the most resilient of people

Comment

Its done finally

The horrible LHS wants to sell the plastic cone for S$13! So this is the result of the final usable folding prop adapter cone. Hybrid material foam coated epoxy and hard ply base, Lighter than alu ones and unique looks!

Comment

Working...
        X