Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cox .049 UFO

Anyone still has that UFO maded by Cox powered by an .049 engine,..all u need to do is fill the mini gas tank, start up the engine, do a quick frisbee throw ..it flies up till run out of gas....,...thats entertainment for u for the 70s..80s

I still have a cox powered helicopter, nib, back in NY. Same concept but it autoratates in for landing.
    I also remember plans for a simple solid balsa helicopter type wing. Cox motor mounted on one end to provide rotation. Placed on a spike to spin up to speed for launch. Always wanted to try that one. Hmm, I've got a Zombie timer not in use, maybe I'll see if I can find the plan and do an electric conversion...

-David-

Comment

Hee, hee. I knew it was a good idea. It's been done:

You may just see one of these at OHR soon. There's nothing on my building board at the moment.

-David-

Comment

Originally posted by Deedubya View Post
        Hee, hee. I knew it was a good idea. It's been done:

You may just see one of these at OHR soon. There's nothing on my building board at the moment.

-David-
        Totally..totally old school...now just need a pr of polyester pants, a 75 Eldorado convertible with Isley Brothers playing Fight the power on the 8 track in the background when u go launch this thing

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Ahhh, the good old days. They were so.... GROOVY!

I'm cutting balsa for the Charybdis tonight.

-David-

Comment

Well, I did it.
            Meet Charybdis, a one winged helicopter designed in 1964.
            Mine is ready to go, sans motor. Awaiting a shipment as all my small stuff is kaput. Those tiny wires don't hold up well to my, ahem, STYLE of flying.
            Original was powered by a Tee Dee .010. From what I can gather that 15 gm screaming little jewell produced 6-10 watts. So a 5-10 gm micro outrunner, producing ~ 15 watts should be the ticket. Will have to distribute Rx and battery to get proper balance. Original was free flight. Mine will have throttle control. I have a Zombie free flight timer but don't want to risk losing it on this design.
            Wife has no faith in this design ( "Are you sure that's what it's supposed to look like?") but I am, as always, optimistic.

Thanks Dloh for the inspiration!

-David-

Comment

Looks great, it will fly great also.
              Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Well, an optimist I may be (you are too Vincent) but I was still pretty amazed when flight testing showed great promise. It took awhile to find the right prop and I had to go to a 3S 360 pack instead of the 2S pack I'd intended to use but this thing actually flies! It is very stable as it rotates round and round in space. Drifts with the wind and have only made short "hops" in the condo's small open space. Can't wait to really wring it out at OHR.
                Note how well it balances at the precribed COG.
                I launch it with a metal rod device that fits a carbon tube bearing at the prescribed "center of rotation". This is ~ 2cm behind the COG. It spins up to speed on the rod held in my hand and then is launched by pushing a sleeve on this simple launch device upward.

Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread, Dloh.

-David-

Comment

Well, the sight of Charybdis drifting with the wind as it flew at OHR on Sunday was most impressive, if I do say so myself. All that witnessed the spinning creation were astonished such a craft can fly and be so stable. Put big grins on everybody's faces and that's what it's all about!

-David-

Comment

Well, the sight of Charybdis drifting with the wind as it flew at OHR on Sunday was most impressive, if I do say so myself. All that witnessed the spinning creation were astonished such a craft can fly and be so stable. Put big grins on everybody's faces and that's what it's all about!

-David-
                    next time when u fly it, see if u can rec it with cam n post it on u tube, that would be cool

Comment

Actually I took some short vids with my iPhone but was unable to upload them here. I'll ask 9YO Elizabeth to help me to put them on YouTube. Will let you know...

-David-

Comment

Meet Charybdis, a one winged helicopter designed in 1964.-
                        Deedub, Take a lookie here - it's a STEERABLE monocopter - well!

Thhwuppa-thhwuppa!
                        sigpic
                        ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
                        John Mayer

Comment

Hee,hee. Thanks T ! It only took an outfit like Lockheed Martin to get it to work though. Pretty darn neat. Nice to know I'm in good company.

-David-

Comment

Working...
                          X