Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building mishap

I tried to achive perfection in anything I do, but sometimes can be real hard esp when it seems like bad luck is following u everywhere, after the shark incident, I thought maybe getting a F4U from Jethobby will brighten my day...ha...that didnt happen, bought one of Lanyu 1.4m F4U...began construction,..I think it must be the manufacturing defect, cuz one of the the reinforcement spar for the main wing was slightly off..so end result,..one spar slide in easily,..but the front spar did not,..looked like it was off by a few degree,..so I use a plier to try removing the spar (which I had epoxy to the right wing) and try to investigate what went wrong,...but that spar was not going to come out,..guess the epoxy was stronger than I thought, it was stuck into the metal tube inside the wing,..not only did I not remove the spar, I cracked it length wise many many pieces and it still wont come out...well, at least now with it split to smaller pieces can I "force" it into the slot of the left wing...(I epoxy the wing to the fuselage)...the spar went in alright...but not entirely,..was like 3 mm off before the left wing was flushed with the grove...so I use brute strength to force it in,..something gotta give when u apply strength...it finally "flushed"..but some portion of the metal tube in the wing came up on the top side of both the left wing n right wing,...I use a razor cut off excess part that came up,..glass cloth n epoxy it,..was so pissed at this stage I almost want to destroy the plane and get a new one to redo it,.....went to maiden early this morning,..flew like it should, inverted, roll, flip loop...dive in from high altitude...etc...nothing weird so far...

...So my question...has the strutural intergrity been compromised? I shouldn't bet on the safety of the structure of this plane in the long run? Any aerospace engineer or expert wants to weigh in on this?

Perfection

Hi Bro,

ever heard of this phrase:-

"Perfection is the Cousin of Disaster"

i learnt from many years of experience

Comment

Yes, that's why I go for mainly PNP models these days... Just assemble the wing and tail feathers... slap on some epoxy and tape it all up. No need to be 100% perfect.

Important thing is to get it in the air as soon as possible, to fly as much as possible. Any imperfections can be trimmed out
      ------------------------------
      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by dloh View Post
        I tried to achive perfection in anything I do, but sometimes can be real hard esp when it seems like bad luck is following u everywhere, after the shark incident, I thought maybe getting a F4U from Jethobby will brighten my day...ha...that didnt happen, bought one of Lanyu 1.4m F4U...began construction,..I think it must be the manufacturing defect, cuz one of the the reinforcement spar for the main wing was slightly off..so end result,..one spar slide in easily,..but the front spar did not,..looked like it was off by a few degree,..so I use a plier to try removing the spar (which I had epoxy to the right wing) and try to investigate what went wrong,...but that spar was not going to come out,..guess the epoxy was stronger than I thought, it was stuck into the metal tube inside the wing,..not only did I not remove the spar, I cracked it length wise many many pieces and it still wont come out...well, at least now with it split to smaller pieces can I "force" it into the slot of the left wing...(I epoxy the wing to the fuselage)...the spar went in alright...but not entirely,..was like 3 mm off before the left wing was flushed with the grove...so I use brute strength to force it in,..something gotta give when u apply strength...it finally "flushed"..but some portion of the metal tube in the wing came up on the top side of both the left wing n right wing,...I use a razor cut off excess part that came up,..glass cloth n epoxy it,..was so pissed at this stage I almost want to destroy the plane and get a new one to redo it,.....went to maiden early this morning,..flew like it should, inverted, roll, flip loop...dive in from high altitude...etc...nothing weird so far...

...So my question...has the strutural intergrity been compromised? I shouldn't bet on the safety of the structure of this plane in the long run? Any aerospace engineer or expert wants to weigh in on this?

If this is a workmanship defect, I wonder if Jet would not honor a return of the kit in it's original packaging.
        Instead of trying to correct a wrong and then having to break and repair the model even before it is flown may not be my idea of a deal.
        However, now that you have already flown it, I guess you'll have better understanding of the assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
          If this is a workmanship defect, I wonder if Jet would not honor a return of the kit in it's original packaging.
          Instead of trying to correct a wrong and then having to break and repair the model even before it is flown may not be my idea of a deal.
          However, now that you have already flown it, I guess you'll have better understanding of the assembly.

Maybe I shd have gone with FMS instead...

Comment

Working...
          X