Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for reinforcement

I am currently belly landing my 1.4m warbird due to shortage of landng strips around S'pore, those landing can be brutally even to epo foam, was thinking about sticking a layer of plastic sheet over the foam (for this case, around the mid of the wing for F4U since it is getting the majority of the abuse), any suggestion as to where can I get such versatile plastic thats tough and light at the same time?

Maybe you want to try clear packing tape first... If it doesn't work use light glass+finishing epoxy.

Comment

Try those translucent polypropylene sheets at popular bookshop. PP is pretty tough, but if you're coming down on asphalt nothing's going to help!

They sometimes sell big loose sheets as desk protectors, but they're more common as plastic folders for paper.

You can very gently form them with a heatgun or better yet with one of these new fangled ceramic stoves that puts out a IR - it's tricky but results can be good.

If the patch is smallish and curved, try PET bottles.
      I use a piece off a big PET rootbeer bottle as a skidplate for my 3.6m composite glider. It's protected it very well indeed.
      sigpic
      ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
      John Mayer

Comment

Reinforcement for EPO foam

Originally posted by Kantankerous View Post
        Try those translucent polypropylene sheets at popular bookshop. PP is pretty tough, but if you're coming down on asphalt nothing's going to help!

They sometimes sell big loose sheets as desk protectors, but they're more common as plastic folders for paper.

You can very gently form them with a heatgun or better yet with one of these new fangled ceramic stoves that puts out a IR - it's tricky but results can be good.

If the patch is smallish and curved, try PET bottles.
        I use a piece off a big PET rootbeer bottle as a skidplate for my 3.6m composite glider. It's protected it very well indeed.
        Thank you for the awesome suggestions

Comment

Daiso is your best friend. Lots of plastic there to experiment with.
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
          X