Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Scratchbuilding Help

Hey guys,

Just wondering what will be the issues and challenges i might face should i scratch build a 25% scale plane?

Saw a plane i love from Dave Andersen's plans and would really love to build it.
    A Lavochkin LA7. 96.5" wingspan and planing to power it with a DLE111.

I have the full plan and some tutorials for the build. Workspace i have now. Timing should be 3 hours a day.

Would it be cheaper if i buy a short kit?
    Where can i go to print a plan that big? It's in PDF format.

Thanx guys

PS. There's a foamie from Alfa models at Singahobby.
    In The Hangar
    BH - SU26M - OS Powered
    BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
    In The Dock
    Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
    In The Garage
    JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi

FLY IT, SAIL IT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

I would think that the biggest challenge is to mould your plastic parts, especially the canopy. Go for the short kit if it is available.

Comment

Hi Nudge

Can try to search internet from sites such as rc group or similar to find info/ build threads etc on your intended built. Can learn from their experiences, problems and solutions.

Cheers & have fun.
      TB

Comment

Agree with Joe and TB...

Started the hobby with just a plan, that was 10 years ago (Bluuurrr).

Built a few kits with varying degrees of ease - OK Models, MK, GP, and Direct Connection. Now, got itchy with scratch from plan. I'm not sure I'm ready to design from a plan. Now, I'd like a break and to get back to a kit.

So, would be nice to have a plan, and a reference builder so you don't spend too much time thinking it thru. Short kit is really the next best thing - like Joe said.

Rob has a nice kit (met him in Holland when I picked up the Tigercat):
        http://www.rbckits.com/shop/index.ph...d&productId=18

Never heard of this:
        http://www.redstarrc.com/Lagg-3.html

Comment

Plan

The plan i downloaded is a freebie from RCM. Its a Dave Andersen plan for the lavochkin LA 7. Fell in love with the plane the moment i saw it. The scale details is amazing and been googling it.

So far its been very positive in regards to plan details and flight characteristics.

Going back to work next week and start pondering more on it since my hobby workshop is in the office. Perfect job right?

Since i spend a minimum of 12 hours there, my boss gave me some hobby space as well so i have my down time there and wifey happy with no planes in the house.
          In The Hangar
          BH - SU26M - OS Powered
          BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
          In The Dock
          Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
          In The Garage
          JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi

FLY IT, SAIL IT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Comment

Working...
          X