Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Kit Zero E Type 22 - a Review

After like 6 weeks of building, screaming, toiling but nonetheless enjoying, I am proud to say that I have finished a semi-scale Zero by Pilot. It cost me like $133 from Singahobby, so pretty expensive when ARFs are so much cheaper. Nonetheless, I like the smell of balsa and CA fumes... mmm!

The kit was rather simple to build, since everything was pre-jigged, so you pretty much have to slot it in. Nonetheless, this is not a beginner's kit, given that its instructions are pretty weak, so you need a lot of foresight. Evidently, this plane is a nitro plane, some quick modifications and Pilot put this on the market as an electric kit. This produces a lot of flaws, such as the CG imbalance you get from converting a plane from nitro to electric - too tail heavy without the heft from the engine. You don't want to see how much lead I have in front.

Decided to make trims out of what I have which is where the AI-155 trim scheme came in, since I had yellow and red! According to history, this plane was part of the first wave that attacked Pearl Harbour. What an honour.

Flying it... well only had one flight. Too kiasi to have something so precious die too soon. Flies well, just needs more power.

Was toying with the idea of a warbird build but too many ideas, very little done in actual fact. Wish you had put up the build threads.

In any case, I hear you on kiasi. I'm the King of Kiasi.... look where my build is? Didn't even run-in the engine.

Anyhow, this looks very nice. What's next?

Comment

Beautiful bird! Very nice! Congrats! Btw, where do u fly?
      Controller: Spektrum DX6i
      Fix Wing: 3DHS Edge 540 41", World Models Zero Fighter EP.
      Rotary Wing: Align Trex450 Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by csisfun View Post
        Decided to make trims out of what I have which is where the AI-155 trim scheme came in, since I had yellow and red! According to history, this plane was part of the first wave that attacked Pearl Harbour. What an honour.

Flying it... well only had one flight. Too kiasi to have something so precious die too soon. Flies well, just needs more power.
        I'm so sorry to say this but upon looking at the pictures, my first impressions was - wow, what a nice depron foamie. I think it's because it's white in colour.

Anyway my congrats to you, having built a kit. Do enjoy your build and fly safely.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Julian,
          Yah, looking at it again, it really looks like a depron. But I'm unfamiliar with depron , so I would probably have worse results.

Ray,
          I fly at PFW or Tampines. This plane can't fly at PFW, as I have no skill and I am kiasi...

Tsunami33,
          Probably will fix up my Sophisticated Lady, which has been in the workshop for like 4+ years. Just in time for the glider season!

Comment

Nice

Ignore What juliian said bro. A zero should be white. Tora! Tora! Tora! To many green zeros. Try get a pilot in that with a white kamikaze bandana on.

Maybe I'll see it at Tampines ne of these days. U fly weekdays or weekends bro?
            In The Hangar
            BH - SU26M - OS Powered
            BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
            In The Dock
            Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
            In The Garage
            JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi

FLY IT, SAIL IT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Comment

Heeey, I did say it was nice right?

Next argument coming up -
              'Zero fighters are green.'
              'No, Zero fighters are white!'

Now, how bout a tri prop and matching spinner (hard to find, I know), and kamikaze pilot with matching bandanna?
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Ack... talk about kiasi, this plane crashed once and it was on the second flight. Too little power (went from a 9x4.7 to a 8x6 expecting better performance...), so it tipped stall at take off. Minor repairs, but major psychological damage.

Must be all the forum members mentioning this having a kamikaze pilot... when in 1941 (rmbr my plane is based on the Pearl Harbour attackers) kamikazi was not implemented yet!!!

BTW, AFAIK, green Zeros were meant for the Imperial Jap Army while the white/grey-white/etc. Zeros are meant for the IJ Navy. So both colours are realistic portrayal of WWII Zeros, but ARF makers biased lah... see why kits are so important for variety?

Comment

Join me, together we will rule the skies over tampines and PFW! Tora! Tora! Tora! or is it Banzai! Whatever.

Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                  Having fun yet?
                  36.39mhz
                  40.77mhz

Comment

Originally posted by csisfun View Post
                    Ack... talk about kiasi, this plane crashed once and it was on the second flight. Too little power (went from a 9x4.7 to a 8x6 expecting better performance...), so it tipped stall at take off. Minor repairs, but major psychological damage.

Must be all the forum members mentioning this having a kamikaze pilot... when in 1941 (rmbr my plane is based on the Pearl Harbour attackers) kamikazi was not implemented yet!!!

BTW, AFAIK, green Zeros were meant for the Imperial Jap Army while the white/grey-white/etc. Zeros are meant for the IJ Navy. So both colours are realistic portrayal of WWII Zeros, but ARF makers biased lah... see why kits are so important for variety?
                    Hi, all A6MX series of Zero, from A6M2 to A6M7 are flown by the IJN, be it green or grey. All zero are produced by either Nakajima or Mitsubishi. The IJA used different planes. Even when the Japanese conducts Kamikaze attack, the Zero are still flew by the naval aviators. The different in colours is simply means different period of the war. Grey or commonly known as caramel colour by the Japanese Navy is used in the earlier period of the war, probabaly before 1943 and mostly A6M2 and A6M3 sqn, Later part of the war, most of the A6M3 and A6M5 are painted in green camo with grey bottom. The green grey transition happens mostly on A6M3 where you can see green polka dots or spots on grey background..

Happy flying..
                    Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Congrats on your successful build.
                      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                      X