Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another for the Slope- Me-163 kOMET

Putting the finishing touches on a project I've been working on (and off) for a while. A little, 88 cm span, Me-163 Komet for PSS. Plan found on internet, free. Planked balsa fuse. Balsa sheeted white foam wing. SD6060 airfoil.

Covered in 0.5oz 'glass and airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics.

Gotta install radio.

Don't know if she'll work on our gentle slope but couldn't resist building the only production rocket powered plane ever.

It is really nice ! i love what you did.

But one thing had me puzzled, if it is a rocket plane why are you doing soaring with this plane ? where is "edf" ?

Comment

Nice ME-163. I think KP has one of these and tried at the slope.

Originally posted by chessgame View Post
      It is really nice ! i love what you did.

But one thing had me puzzled, if it is a rocket plane why are you doing soaring with this plane ? where is "edf" ?
      There are many kinds of soaring, one of which is PSS or Power scale soaring, its all about building and flying scale model gliders of full sized jet, rocket or piston powered aircraft at the slope.

The challenge with Power Scale Soaring is to build a model as close to scale as possible whilst at the same time ensuring the model has good flying characteristics without power!

See example video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1pWuPqjLiU

Search for pss soaring and you can find many nice videos
      www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
      www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Superb job!

Comment

Why not EDF? First of all, the fullsize ME-163 is originally designed to be a glider.

It is only later when started to fit rocket engines in it for thier desperate attempt to bring down allied bombers. Unfortunately, many of thier pilots are lost to the unstable engines which blew up from time to time.

EDF? There is no air intake to start with at the very beginning. Rocket engines carry thier own oxygen for combustion and do not need to breath air. Why a PSS, because you can literally build and fly your favourite scale planes without the hassle of motors and engines, even more for multi-engine subjects.
          Last edited by joe yap; 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Thanks Joe, you got it right.

At the time the Komet was developed it took a piston engined fighter 13 minutes (if I remember correctly) to get to the bombers altitude. It took the Komet 3 minutes. It only had 7 1/2 minutes of powered flight and the incredibly dangerous fuel killed many pilots in explosions on landing.
            It was the first operational fighter with swept wings.

A neat subject and perfect for PSS.

The full sized plane was pretty small. The badge on the nose translates to "Like a flea but Oho!" and features a flea with rocket flames coming out its ***.

Comment

Bro, ...you should register this as an entry for RCS2011 !!!
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Hi Dee,

Very well made and nice model u have. May be I can use my Storch to aero-tow your comet.

Thanks for sharing the nice pictures.

Cheers
                TB

Comment

Working...
                X