Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that the Concorde is back on the favorites list, the original Chris Gould's model that inspired me has now been re-engined to over 1.5KW of input power. The model featured a fully RC droop nose and re-tracts a real big beast....

If you are interested here is the link to the thread:

Comment

Back to the "Slow Flying Concorde", I marked the CG as determined by "Chuckie" to see if the bird could balanced. Using a 600mA 8 cell Ni-Cad pack as a weight it would seem that we should be in business although it is going to Li-Poly against the bulkhead or maybe a small bit of surgery to the nose to get the pack far enough forward.

So I will try again with a 2,000 mA Li-Poly pack just to see what the situation really is. According to MotoCalc I should be drawing about 13 Amps and 127 Watts, so I want to have the option of using a Kokam 1,500 mA pack or even one of the new high C rating 1,250 mA 3S packs as well.

The attached file is the MotoCalc performance predictions for Concorde, 900 ft/min rate of climb sounds very nice as does the predicted flight time of greater than 6 minutes on the 1,250 mA pack with the Go control against the firewall.

So it is just cut the access hatches check the CG for the various batteries and we are very close to that brown trouser maiden fright....

Comment

Yeeeeee-Haaaaw !!!!!

Comment

Hatches & Finishing

Having a few spare hours before start a new project in China for the company I decided to do the hatches and finish the bird off so that when I have completed my companies China project we can go for that oh so scarry maiden fright.

Using the CG data obtained from "Chuckie" this was marked using a pencil on the real fuselage and then the moment of truth will it balance...? Well it was almost a success as the Li-Poly 2000 mA pack will sit nicely in the gap between F1 and F2, but oh dear the 1500 mA packs need to go into that solid Depron nose.

Back track and do the avionics hatch first and then think about the problem, with the hatch cut the receiver sits behind the CG and under the hatch retaining plate.... time to test the set up.

Well yes another problem one of the elevon servo leads had decided to move and slid behind the next fusleage former down and could not be accessed, so a temporary access plate was cut beneath to re position the cable using a piece of wire. Quick set up of the transmitter program and all seems well including the motor directions, which sound grand with the two 6 x 4's spinning.

Now to the problem area, I really wanted to use 1500 mA packs or 20C 1250 mA packs so a slot had to be cut somehow. Brainstorm how about a soldering iron...?, not the sort you normally use for soldering wires but a transformer type where you can make a tip to any shape / size. Searched the house for those wire coat hangers you get from the dry cleaners and made a bit shaped like the Li-Poy pack, perfromed a check on a scrap piece of Depron and the idea seems to work so GO for it. You must take it slow but the result is a total success, the two packs fit snug in the nose and maintain the correct CG.

The pictures below show the two hatches and a close up of the 1500 mA pack sitting snug in the nose. You can see the transformer soldering iron and the special bit made from a clothes hanger.

Comment

Ingenious Problem Solving Dennis!

Woooh, i really wish you can show us some more detail close-up shots of the concorde, it looks just fabulous!

Beautiful Bird!

Comment

HI AstroBoy, what would you like a close up shot of...? and I will see if I can oblige with my Kodak Brownie camera....

Comment

Side views, top views, rear views, 3/4 front and rear views, ALL THOSE VIEWS Dennis!

Comment

See what I can achieve with the box camera next weekend when I return from Beijing..

Comment

Cool... hope to see you building the TSR2 in near future..
                    too many dream plane to build , too little time..
                    Well, May the force be with you... Always...
                    Do lets us know when you maiden your concorde...
                    Cheers

Comment

Hi Astroboy and Dennis

hi guys!!

This is Tom, from www.parkjets.com and a friend of Astroboy's from the R/C Groups.

Per Astroboy's note to me, I'm going to start a Concorde thread over on the RC Groups ('ll post a link here) and I will be adding the Concorde to the ever growing list of Free Parkjet plans availavle on my website. (Linked to both threads.)

I read the thread here last night, I am very impressed with your building skill Dennis!!

As far as I know, over on the R/C Groups site, only Paul DF Jetman from Australia has attempted a foam Concorde, but he gave it up to start a different project. If I find the link I'll post that one too.

I'm sure a lot of people will want to start building the Concorde pusher, so be prepared to answer a lot of questions

Tom - Milwaukee WI USA
                      Parkjets are small electric powered radio controlled park flyer aircraft, styled after military, sport, and commuter jets. Parkjets offers over 135 FREE RC Plans for download, Construction , flying tip's and techniques , for large, small profile, shock flyer parkjets, EDF radio controlled parkjet pl

Comment

Just wondering, Since you like to build airliners, have you ever looked at building a Boeing Sonic Cruser ???

Comment

Hi Tom, thanks for chiming in here

We would like to extend a very WARM WELCOME to you, all the way from USA!

Congratulations Dennis, you're going to have less sleep and more questions to answer on your beautiful Concorde!

Comment

Link to the R/C Groups Concorde Build thread

Hi Steven,

thank you for the welcome, this is a very nice group you have over here

Here is the link to the RC groups concorde Build thread.

Thanks,
                            Tom
                            Last edited by AstroBoy; 23-11-2005, 07:00 PM. Reason: "to" was mispelled, hehe!

Comment

Thanks Tom & Steven, the project list is getting longer by the day...., the next bird will be the TSR2 that Steven has already mentioned. I am still waiting for the EDF's and motors for my Boeing 777 so once they arrive I shall be working on two projects.

The Sonic cruiser never really appealed to me (I do not know why), but the next civil airliner will probably be a Vickers Super VC10 with 4 WemoTec Micro fans, I suspect that many of the thread readers will not know what a VC10 is but all will be revealed when it comes to fruition. All I can from the initial drawings is it is going to be big....

Comment

VC-10's... BOAC flew them. The RAF used them as troop carriers too. Never flew in one, but always marvelled the high tail and rear engine pods. Somehow also reminded me of a swan each time I saw the aircraft. Accute angle and rate of climb... at least as seen from the ground... but really smoky exhaust, and loud on full throttle.

Closest thing to it would have been the DC9, but only had 2 engines in the rear, but a lot shorter in fuselage length. Next closest would be the 727's, with an additional engine on the vertical tail fin. Also simialr would be the BAC (?) Caravelles, Canadair Bombardiars... and maybe finally, the Learjets.

Always loved the rear engined airliners... seemed quieter than regular jets with the engines under the main wing. Will be watching for your post on the VC-10 model.

Comment

Working...
                                X