Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap laminating film for foamys

Hi guys,

Can this be used for laminating EPP foamys?

It's much cheaper than the monocote, etc.

Originally posted by etman View Post
    Hi guys,

Can this be used for laminating EPP foamys?

It's much cheaper than the monocote, etc.
    Its 80 micron I think? I want something similar to 3 mils laminate.

Comment

Doubt so, the thing about monokote is that it has a layer of glue underneath activated by heat, which I doubt this has. Plus, it's probably heavy.

Comment

This is laminating pouch, something like an bag. The heat activated glue is in the inner surfaces.

There should be something like laminating film, I'm also looking. Anyone have the info, do share.
        Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

I saw at Clementi Big Bookshop

There's this laminating peel thingy for books

Basically you just peel the thing off and paste on your foamies

I'm not sure it goes round corners though

Quite a big roll, maybe you can checkit out
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look for a good laminating roll to cover my EPP Grim Reaper and EPP Eagle, both FPV platforms.

I just bought an iron, but I've not done laminating before.
            The EPP Grim Reaper kit I bought came with a small roll of 3 mil laminate.

Any lobang, please post here for the benefit of all. Thanks!

Comment

I am quite a cheapo and i do experiment in using these films as opposed to the monokote.

Let me start by saying I cant make a fair judgement because i never bought monokote but always used the cheaper stuff like this because i use this stuff for cheapo planes and repairs.

My comments are, in terms of using this cheaper stuff, it is like wrapping a book right ?

It may not shrinkwrap exactly like monokote and there maybe more problem with round edges , curve profiles, but well, if you can live with the not so perfect look, it will do well. Having said that, you can even spray paint these films to the exact color, design you want because you use it on the plane. And it will still cost cheaper than monokote. It does seem to want to come off at the edges but i used a bit of glue to stick it and it hold pretty well.

all in all, these films are good for a repair job on my cheapo foam planes when they crash. I dont want to buy a monkote which cost more than my plane and i want a better finish than the epoxy look on the foam so this is a good compromise.

And i am sure monokote is better if you need to do up a balsa plane to scale like look.

Originally posted by etman View Post
              Thanks guys. I'll look for a good laminating roll to cover my EPP Grim Reaper and EPP Eagle, both FPV platforms.

I just bought an iron, but I've not done laminating before.
              The EPP Grim Reaper kit I bought came with a small roll of 3 mil laminate.

Any lobang, please post here for the benefit of all. Thanks!

Comment

Hi chessgame,
                Please give more details of the cheapo stuff that you have mention. Where to buy? What is the cost? Even better if have picture to show.
                Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Oh, i thought it was mentioned earlier.

I use the popular bookstore laminating paper (used for school books as well). It is self adhesive so you peel the back and wrap the foam in whatever way you want. Comes in one big fat roll for 20+ bucks or you can buy the cheap $2 one just to try out.

There are the thinner and thicker versions. Thinner one is similiar to monkote thickness (i guess) and thicker one feels similiar to the clear non adhesive plastic type you use to wrap your book. The army style talc

Hope that is clear.

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
                  Hi chessgame,
                  Please give more details of the cheapo stuff that you have mention. Where to buy? What is the cost? Even better if have picture to show.

Comment

Hi Chessgame,

The thinner one you mention, do I need to apply 3M77 or iron it or it can stick on its own?

Comment

I went to Popular and Big Bookstore at Tampines, no luck finding those thin laminate rolls. I only found 0.1 mm thick, which is 1000 microns, super thick.
                      Maybe have to try Bras Basah Popular?

Comment

Working...
                      X