Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build Thread - Extremeflightrc Extra 300 78 inch!

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build Thread - Extremeflightrc Extra 300 78 inch!

OK after some searching for a replacement kit of my primary plane Yak 54, I finally got what I most wanted, EFRC Extra 300 78 inch! I have nothing but praises for the previous 58 inch Extra I flown and I am all for it to try out this bigger version.

Flight done on the 11th Sep

My 2nd flight done on the plane, putting it through the paces to get use to it.

One of my favourite video of the plane.

Last edited by edmond22; 19-09-2010, 08:35 AM.
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

here is what comes in the box!

Look at the content. Canopy cover, wing bag, elevator bag. Wing anti rotation pin is metal. Good Manual, generous decals. Even the landing gear is prepared with holes to mount! Even the sideforce generator is included!

From what I have seen, the only thing I need is a Hacker A60 mount for the motor to complete the plane after transferring the electronics from my Yak.

Comment

Starting build

After molesting and inspecting the kit a bit here and there, I started the build on the elevators.

Double Horns glued in.

Elevators hinge done, look at that throw!

Size reference to a cigarette box lol

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post

Look at the content. Canopy cover, wing bag, elevator bag. Wing anti rotation pin is metal. Good Manual, generous decals. Even the landing gear is prepared with holes to mount! Even the sideforce generator is included!

From what I have seen, the only thing I need is a Hacker A60 mount for the motor to complete the plane after transferring the electronics from my Yak.
        i like it...

when is mine??

Comment

Wah ! ...you grew another 4 inches ! ...I'm so jealous !

...where's Alfian ?
          Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Ha ha! I am equally jealous!

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
            Wah ! ...you grew another 4 inches ! ...I'm so jealous !

...where's Alfian ?
            If you are feeling down....just pull up the stick!

Comment

Alas

Now we're cooking! Can't wait to see this babe rock....better practice on my lomcevaks and steal the show while I still can....
              Go back in one piece to fly another day.
              Having fun yet?
              36.39mhz
              40.77mhz

Comment

Keke continuing build

Did not get to do much last night. Only managed to settle the wing control horns and hinges.

Underside view of a prepared wing, waiting for the CA in the servo area to dry. This CA bit was part of the EFRC tips mentioned throughout the manual. This is my second kit from them and I must say I always learn something new reading their stuff.

Hinges glued with 30min epoxy, later loosened with a drip of oil.

One thing I did notice is the value add EFRC tries to put in for you as a buyer. I have always wondered why manufacturers can't bring the meaning of ARF more meaningful. Some will leave you cold making you drill holes for the landing gear/ fuselage installations, trim coverings, drill more holes etc or leave out things they should not have. You will usually spend some more money just to get the right drill bits and whatnots that you really do not need or want from buying a ARF perspective.

Things I particularly like so far:
                - Predrilled holes - cowling mounts, landing gear/ fuselage holes (trying to draw, align & drill on a 25% size is a pain for ARF).
                - Slotted horns/ Precut servo slots - lets you get down to business right away.

- Metal anti rotation pins

- Wing bags, elevator bags, canopy cover - I can't think of any other ARF that gives me any, I made my own as a matter of fact for my last plane.
                - Manual with tips you will appreciate a lot - They even teach you how to repair a ding on wood surface underneath a covering. From the way it looks and my experience, the manual covers a lot of details that will save you a lot of work in future when you fly the plane, because you do it right the first time round.

Comment

HEEe

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I Loikeeeeeeee!!!!!!:d:d:d:d
                  When u fart, u never noe its a wet one until u see a skid mark on ur underwear.

Comment

Build from 27th Aug

Started installing my servos that night. Used a very nice little drill tool from NTC to make holes.

Finished Servo installation. Note the Titanium turn buckle rod provided by the kit.

I tackled the rudder next. Did the same thing gluing the control horns and finally the hinges.

Comment

While waiting for the hinges to set. I took some images of the interior. A lot of mounting space are thought out for placements of electronics. In fact wth the canopy removed, there is complete access for you to place your batteries and meddle with your electronics and whatnots easily.

Comment

Tail gear installation - tiller design & Main gear.

I tackled the tail gear next. EFRC adopted the tiller design and I was a bit confused by the manual instructions for a while. While it is clear, I had some difficulty locating the parts like the ball link etc, just can't judge if I found the right thing to use. It worked out in the end with no issues. Note the carbon fiber tail gear mount.

I opted to stay stock for the time being and installed the provided aluminium painted black main gear. To be real honest, I always hate this stage. ALL the other kits I have built always require you to drill out some things. The last kit saw me marking out holes and drilling both the fuselage and gear for mounting PLUS the wheel axles holes. EFRC did all of these for you, you just need to do the mounting, now that is what I call a ARF.

The provided fairings with black rubber tubing.

Comment

Wheels, axles and pants

Now take a look at the following picture. They might look like any ordinary wheel sets you get with a typical kit.

And it is not! I am glad EFRC did not bother me with the need to glue a piece of wood provided and make me go through with dremelling out slot for mounting. They did it all, again, you just need to mount them, and drill a small hole to secure the desired angle. I omitted the drilling part, I never did that with any of my kits, I much rather they get tilted freely if I had to do rough grass landings, just adjust them back to position and fly, no maintenance.

Image of the factory made pants with wood embedded, nice touch.

Comment

Motor mount installations

I bought myself a A60 Hacker motor mount as recommended by EFRC. Quite straight forward to install and the nice feature about it is that it comes with a rear plate bearing to help support the motor from behind. I was however unable to use that feature due to the design of the Scorpion F3A motor. With the Torque motor, you will not have this issue. I opted to install the back plate without the bearing to provide additional strength and rigidity.

If you are using the EFRC recommended motor mount (A60 Hacker mount), you can simply proceed on straight to drilling out the marked holes provided. This will give you the right positioning with the right thrust already dialled in.

Below, the completed motor mount and ESC installations. I went with the recommended ESC position where it should see a lot of inflow of cooling air. I opted for the same old Kontronik Jive 80HV ESC.

Comment

I installed the Rudder pull pull cable next, not too difficult thought I do wish kit manufacturers can throw in extra crimps. It is hard to find extra if you screw up and those normally do not come to mind when shopping lol.

Sunday build 22nd Aug

Did the cowling today. Used the method as taught by EFRC, slapped on some masking tape, mark the holes, tear them off partially, mount the cowling and reused the same tape overlay to mark the holes for drilling.

Completed cowling mounting with spinner. Though EFRC recommended 76mm or 3 inch spinners, I found the 3 1/4 ones fitting more nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X