Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light-weight filler or spackle - Where to find?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light-weight filler or spackle - Where to find?

Hi all,
    May I know where to buy light weight filler or spackle?
    From forums I've seen, this is used for filling gaps for foam planes.
    Couldn't find it anywhere.
    What brandname should I search for?

NTC @ Fook Hai. Hobbico Hobbylite filler. Get the white one instead of the beige one.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
      NTC @ Fook Hai. Hobbico Hobbylite filler. Get the white one instead of the beige one.
      OK thanks, few months ago, when I looked for it at NTC, they at first seemed not very sure what I wanted, and then later established that it was out of stock, and gave me the impression that it wasn't often available.

Comment

I use to get my supply of really good spackle from ACE Hardware(now defunct) ...that stuff was really light, sands well and cheap.

Oh well, anybody travels to the US on a regular basis ?
        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Depends on how much filling you want to do and how big an area. For small dings and gaps etc, Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda) and a drop of CA works for me. Cheap and good. You can get a whole big tin of Baking Soda for around $3+. Go to any Phoon Huat store (baking supplies). Enough to last you a lifetime. Since you are using on foam planes - make sure you use foam safe CA.

The other alternative is to use micro balloons and epoxy. Very light and very strong. You can get micro balloons from NTC. I use West Systems micro balloons which is even lighter.

Polyurethane glue is great for filling big gaps on foam. Its a very very strong glue and the glued joint will be stronger than the original. The stuff will foam and squeegee out of the cracks and gaps. When fully hardened, just sand level. It sands well just be prepared to apply elbow grease. I don't mean PVA aka white glue, by Polyurethane I mean Gorilla Glue (Polyurethane) etc. Its an amber liquid that foams up when it cures.
          To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
            Polyurethane glue is great for filling big gaps on foam. Its a very very strong glue and the glued joint will be stronger than the original. The stuff will foam and squeegee out of the cracks and gaps. When fully hardened, just sand level. It sands well just be prepared to apply elbow grease. I don't mean PVA aka white glue, by Polyurethane I mean Gorilla Glue (Polyurethane) etc. Its an amber liquid that foams up when it cures.
            Yup ! ...love these PU glue ...hate their shelf life !
            Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Yes, their shelf life stinks especially in humid Singapore. Buy the smallest bottle you can get. I keep mine in a zip lock bag.
              To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                Yes, their shelf life stinks especially in humid Singapore. Buy the smallest bottle you can get. I keep mine in a zip lock bag.
                I keep my CA's, kicker and what nots, in the fridge. It's in a clear plastic bag which I don't think anyone will mistake it for consumable item

Don't do this if you have young kids though.
                Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
                Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Chen View Post
                  I keep my CA's, kicker and what nots, in the fridge. It's in a clear plastic bag which I don't think anyone will mistake it for consumable item

Don't do this if you have young kids though.
                  I don't store these stuff in fridge. CA cures by absorbing moisture in the air. If you store them in lowered temperature, you have to bring them out and let their temperature stabilised to room temperature before opening their bottles. If not, their cooler temperature will promote condensations and make them spoil faster.

Chilling them may only be good for long term storage of new unopened bottles.

Comment

Working...
                  X