• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spad X17

Wingspan 1200mm (47")
    AUW 4Kg (8.8Lbs!!!)
    Servos 5
    Engine Magnum .91 Four Stroke (Thanks to a DH Member)
    Prop 14 x 6

The Fuse construct.

Keep Moving, Look Forward, No Regrets!!

Initial Plans and draft dimensions.

Comment

Hi Sunnyside,

Looks like an interesting project. Just a suggestion, providing some commentary will be helpful for others to appreciate better what you are doing. I would like to know more about your ideas for this project. Cheers.
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
        Hi Sunnyside,

Looks like an interesting project. Just a suggestion, providing some commentary will be helpful for others to appreciate better what you are doing. I would like to know more about your ideas for this project. Cheers.
        Will try. Thanks!

Comment

The engine was mounted to the bench and ran-in for more than a gallon of fuel.

Comment

I have decided to oriented the engine mount such that the manifold and muffler results in a 6 o'clock direction.

Comment

The landing gear is made from aluminium flat bar, bent to shape. A 3mm wire tensioner was necessary as the flex on the aluminium bar was excessive. The position of the tension wire was later found to be less than ideal.

The wheels in the photo are temporary fitting, the actual wheels are larger in diameter.

Comment

What are you using to build the fuselage. It looks like some kind of PVC like material - could be wrong. I like you running in bench With most of the current crop of high quality engines, one needs only to fly rich and refrain from extended full throttle runs for the first gallon and they'll be fine.
                To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

??

Hey sunnyside

i saw a similar plane flew at CDF a while back was that this plane?
                  In The Hangar
                  BH - SU26M - OS Powered
                  BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
                  In The Dock
                  Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
                  In The Garage
                  JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi

FLY IT, SAIL IT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Comment

sunnyside, just some curious questions:

Where did you get those white rectangular pieces from? Or what is it, anyway? The SPAD site usually recommends some "gutter pipe" that most hardware shops here don't know what it is.

How do you stick the coroplast to the white material? Epoxy usually doesn't work so well because it doesn't soak into the coroplast.
                    ------------------------------
                    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
                    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      What are you using to build the fuselage. It looks like some kind of PVC like material - could be wrong. I like you running in bench With most of the current crop of high quality engines, one needs only to fly rich and refrain from extended full throttle runs for the first gallon and they'll be fine.
                      The fuse is a combination of corrugated plastic sheet available from Art Friend and the White material, something I found in the refuse bin at an industrial area behind Safra Tampines.

Bench run-in of new engines has many benefits. The one I like most is "if you can't getting right on the ground, it's not gonna get better in the air" .

Comment

Originally posted by NUDGE View Post
                        Hey sunnyside

i saw a similar plane flew at CDF a while back was that this plane?
                        It is not similar. That is the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
                          sunnyside, just some curious questions:

Where did you get those white rectangular pieces from? Or what is it, anyway? The SPAD site usually recommends some "gutter pipe" that most hardware shops here don't know what it is.

How do you stick the coroplast to the white material? Epoxy usually doesn't work so well because it doesn't soak into the coroplast.
                          Gutter pipe (American or Canadian) = Air-con trunking (Singapore)

The one in the picture is something I picked up from trash.

Sand both surfaces. I used PVC adhesive and Max Bond and CA for tacking.

The other method is CA + water mist. This I used on the wings.

Comment

Testing the 5.5kg bipe at Tampines CD field.

Comment

Other assembly pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X