Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itchy fingers...

after the last project, i'm exhausted. i am looking for a shorter project. something that can take a beating. a plane that has great potential. lastly, something that can be flown in a smaller area. i think the multiplex acromaster will suit this role perfect.

since this is my first 3d plane and i've committed more and more to this hobby. i have again some issues (quite alot actually) that i would like to consult the gurus or anybody here.

1. how to paint nicely on foam? i've been painting gws mustang with just acrylic paints and a simple paint brush, however i noticed that no matter how careful i am, there will always be brush strokes left on the paint job itself. how to achieve a constant layer with minimal weight penalty and hopefully with little investment? heeheehee...

2. i found myself collecting many servos from many different brands now. i hope to just concentrate on one brand for easy mix and match later when i get more models (including heli and gliders). i have several factors like having a wide range of servos (for plane, heli, heli's tail rotor, lightweight ones for gliders), and cannot be too expensive meaning it has its budget servos, good support in singapore's hobby shops (eg, can buy its internal gears rather than having to buy a brand new servo), reputable, compatible with my spektrum receivers. heh, i know that is alot to ask for but can recommend me some brands?

3. ESC. having basically same properties as the servos. but i dont think i will need one with data logging or those fancy ones that can connect to computer and stuffs. just a good, reliable and cheap one that is programmable (with field programmer) for all sorts of models. good support in singapore. and what am i paying for a castle creation esc as compared to a hobby wing esc?

4. Motor. again having same properties as the servos. a brand that carries a wide range of motors for both plane and heli. able to reverse the motor shaft will be nice. scorpion? (btw, are all motor shafts able to be reversed? cause some motor uses a 5mm motor shaft that is screwed onto the rotor whereas some uses a prop adapter which is secured onto the motor shaft itself?)

hee... i know maybe such things doesnt exist in this world like a super model who can cook, clean and listens, but i'm will be happy as long as its close. thanks for reading.

Controller: Spektrum DX6i
    Fix Wing: 3DHS Edge 540 41", World Models Zero Fighter EP.
    Rotary Wing: Align Trex450 Pro.

Originally posted by rayshaw23 View Post
    hee... i know maybe such things doesnt exist in this world like a super model who can cook, clean and listens, but i'm will be happy as long as its close. thanks for reading.
    I am not expert in Acromaster but I think I can help with some of your queries;

1) It is recommended that you use Multiplex primer to prepare the Elapor for painting. It supposedly gives the paint better 'grip'. Use a few thin layers of paint instead of 1 thick layer, spraypaints also do well too. Remember not to spray too thick, it is spray, dry, spray again, dry. Hobby paints, acrylic paints for craft found at daiso might work. I use Tamiya for my Easyglider

2) I normally use either HXT from our fave hongkong hobbyshop or the Hitecs from our fave local hobbyshop. I also quite like the airtronics from JH that have metal gears.

3) ESC - some people like expensive, some people like cheap and some people like really cheap. Used a castle creations Thunderbird 36 before, good, cheap, non programmable. Castle creations Pheonix - probably another of the higher end ESC, twice the price.

Apart from that I use Hobbywing and Dualsky and Turnigy. They are similar, nice, lower end ESC. Gets the job done. I don't find any discernable difference between Hobbywing, Turnigy and Dualsky, they all get the job done. I have 1 of each. Go for Castle Creations if you like more higher end stuff and you want weight savings - the CC ESCs are light and supposedly more efficient and robust. But don't overload it cos it will turn into Castle Cremations instead.

4) Motor, can't help you with motor. But from the Acromasters I observed, most ppl use 12 inch prop with an AXI 2820 size motor, drawing 20-30+ amps per motor? Because 2200 mah 3cell is the staple, I would think most ppl use that. Unlimited vertical is expected!

You can try going to the page of our fave hong kong hobbyshop to find suitable motor in the comments section. Just google, acromaster, h o bby city'

Of course, you can also try looking in RCgroups to find out what other ppl Acromasters use

Good luck
    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

There were some threads already started on Acromaster.Spend some time reading and your questions should be addressed.
      Word of advice, do not scrimp on electronics. For servos I would recommend HS65MG for ailerons and HS85MG for rudder and elevator.
      This plan is tough, make it so.
      For the painting I believe it is also addressed in the threads.

Comment

3. thanks for all the advices received. i would really like to jump onto castle creation esc but the price is higher. one function i like about cc is that it will start beeping when the voltage is low, can a member here confirm this?

Comment

I can't remember if my CC45 had that function. However, I feel the function may be useless if the plane has already taken off.
          I have seen people used HobbyWing ESCs for their AMs. You can consider them as I have very good experiences with them on my other planes and helis.

Comment

okay, the assembly has started. i've gotten the hitec 65's and 85's, but non metal gear due budget. didnt go for other brands because cant find a budget servo thats same spec or better than the 85's . will be going for 60A hobbywing esc and maybe GS motor or himax motor.

two qns,

1. what do i do with the pimple looking spots thats on the surface of the foam? do i try to sand it down? or just leave it? or maybe just sand those on the aerofoils?

2. most of my batts are 1800mah 20c or 25c. the manual recommend 2200mah as minimum. should i start getting some 2200mah? if i fly with 1800mah, and pump full vertical, will it start bloating my batt (not as though they are not already slighty bloated ) ? or will it better to invest in a watt meter?

Comment

Working...
            X