Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itchy backside...

i have made quite a number of foam planes now, thus decided to go for something more challenging. bought an 'ok model' zero fighter E type 22. it is those balsa kit where u have to glue the balsa bits and pieces together to form the wing and fuselage and blah blah blah. after going through the one page instruction manual, found out that i have bitten more than i can chew. this is going to require lots of time and effort. so before i embark on my project, is there any advice from the gurus here before i start?

Controller: Spektrum DX6i
    Fix Wing: 3DHS Edge 540 41", World Models Zero Fighter EP.
    Rotary Wing: Align Trex450 Pro.

The Lazer Cut kits are relatively easy to put together as each part fits exactly into place however you will need a building board and some pins. If you do not have any kit building skills i suggest that you build it under supervision of an experienced builder...but I think you will do OK.
    Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

Patience. Research, Plan and Visualize.

Hi rayshaw23,

I was half expecting the end of your post to read ".... anyone want to buy this lit from me? Want to sell it...". Good thing I am wrong :>

Looks like you're taking the next step in flying modelling. That's good. In some magazines you will read about the seasoned modellers lamenting that with the widespread availability of ARFs and RTFs these days, many newer modellers are missing out on the modelling skills that are developed when building planes from bits and pieces. So it's good that you give it a try, even if just for the experience.

As blackite207 said, with good laser-cut kits, the building process is made much smoother these days when the parts fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Before you even start to pop the first parts out, do read through the instructions slowly and carefully. Make sure you understand and can visualize how you should proceed. Good instruction manuals usually also advise on other meterials, tools and building aids you will need to do the job. Some even have photos illustrating the steps. If these tips are lacking in the manual, do search the 'net, and even this forum, for other simlar building projects which others have contributed. You will learn a lot from there. Bottomline is, don't rush it. Understand how you should proceed, and tackle it a bit at a time. Some forward planning will go a long way to preventing "being painted into a corner", if you know what I mean. As this is your first kit, do a lot of research before even opening the glue bottle. Plan and visualise first.

One important aspect to always strive for is alignment and straightness/trueness. You will want to build fuselages that are symetrical, straight, and not bent or twisted. With wings you will want to build them free of warps/twists.

You may find a kit like this takes way longer to complete compared with an ARF/RTF, but when you finally successfully pull it off, you will be rewarded with a real sense of satisfaction. Your enjoyment will be more complete. You will also have started to develop building skills which may help you down the road.

Enjoy, man :>
      ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

thanks guys. i really envy those scratch build people. that requires alot of patience and planning and i'm sure they will be deeply rewarded at the end. hope that one day i can achieve that.
        how to use the pins and building board?
        researching online for some similar building logs, does anyone already have a good building log thread in which i can follow?

Comment

Hi rayshaw23,

If you are really keen on building kits or from plans, a good building board is always a good investment, which will repay you with completed models that are built straight and true. NTC in Fook Hai sells the Great Planes building boards in 2 sizes. They also have T-pins (which I prefer over the normal pin type). Recently, I switched over to a magnetic board system. Very good but costly. Another friend even uses a piece of glass top and superglue the parts down temporarily. As your skill level increases, you will find that there are many different building techniques.

You may not find a specific building thread for your Zero kit, but if you visit www.rcgroups.com and look under "Scale Electric Planes", there are tons of build threads by highly seasoned builders as well as newbies. You can learn a lot from there.

Btw, I too have the same Zero kit as yours but don't know when I will build it. Wishing you success in your Zero. Have fun!

Comment

If what you mentioned is considered as 'itchy backside', then there are many rotten backsides here.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
              If what you mentioned is considered as 'itchy backside', then there are many rotten backsides here.
              ...Joe, I think yours got no more backside ! ...only left bones ! (Compliments)
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

welcome

hey ray...welcome to the world of kit building...remember to be patient building it and when in doubt ask. google the kit and look at other build threads to help you understand and lookout for kinks in the build if there is any. OK kits if i remember rae quite easy and nice to build. I HAD AN me109 that never got cmpleted 15 years ago!!!!
                In The Hangar
                BH - SU26M - OS Powered
                BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
                In The Dock
                Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
                In The Garage
                JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi

FLY IT, SAIL IT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Comment

I think I should mention that "Kits"fly much better than ARF models. You usually can tweek the model for your best flying style.

My best flyers are all kits and the top plane is the Seduction from Pilot. very light and very manuverable yet can be tamed to be like a trainer.
                  Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

questions that arise...
                    1. when do i have to start to consider putting on the thin film on the aircraft, the instruction doesnt state. can i finish the whole model, then consider putting the thin film?
                    2. i'm also considering retracts. can i maiden the plane first with fix undercarriage before thinking of fixing retracts? or its recommended to fix retracts while building it? i'm definitely not thinking of hand launching it cause i scared that the landing will tear away the thin film.
                    2. i have lots of epoxy. can i use it for the hardwoods or should i get their recommended glue? for the balsa parts, i've gotten their recommended glue already. what other tools are recommended? i have dremel. what about set squares? and what do people use to hold the pieces together while waiting for the glue to dry? masking tape?
                    3. i have yet found time to go fook hai to look at the building board and to check out the price and the dimension. and i feel that the table that i usually use is not big enough. thinking of getting a huge piece of glass to increase the area of my table and to ensure that it will be totally flat.
                    lots of preparation before i start popping out the pieces...

Comment

Usually the covering is one of the last things to put on...unless you have hard to reach places. The covering will emphasise smoothness of the surface its on so the surface preperation is very important. here is a tip....small dings can be repaired with a drop of water and a hot sealing iron. The heat and steam will "Pop" the surface out.

You need to decide if you are going fixed or retracts and build them in before completing the wing. If you go for fixed then later decide to go reteacts then it will mean a messy job of cutting grinding and shaping. My advice is to go fixed for your first build.

I usually use thin CA for non structural parts like the ribs and sheeting. Epoxy for load bearing parts like firewall and spars You can use PVA in the replacement for CA.

Cheers!

Comment

Pilot kits usually have excellent accuracy and parts fit. If a part does not fit properly, its 99% likely you screwed up somewhere. Wood can sometimes be too soft but generally light and of consistent quality. Just follow the instructions diligently and you should be able to get it up and flying. A good building board and some basic tools like modelling pins, clamps, a selection of glues, a selection of cutting knifes and you should be well on your way. I would not have recommended a scale model, especially a rounded bodied one like the Zero as a first wood build though. You might want to put it away as your next build. Try on a square, slab side sports model may be a better kit to start learning basic building skills . Nothing worse than building something that won't fly straight. Can be most discouraging. The unfortunate thing about OK kits is that the instructions are very short. They come printed on the plans. A manufacturer like Sig or Top Flite will come with a step by step construction manual with lots of photographs and they usually very helpful hints on technique as well.
                        To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

it has began!

decided to just kick off making it without tools like building board because no time to go fook hai and having to pass by ERP everytime just puts me off.

however, now i'm at a junction where its critical. as u can see the picture below. the trailing edge of the ribs has this little block of wood (i finally know what its use for), it is all suppose to be resting on the table, thus ensuring that the ribs are aligned properly. mine doesnt, so before i glue them, what can i use to ensure that they stay rested on the table while the glue dries?

like what tony said, the parts fit even better than a jig saw. the only down side is that the instructions manual is really just one huge piece of mahjong paper printed with the steps and a 1:1 plan of the model.

Comment

my 2 cents worth of experience

in my opinion , a building board or table is necessary . What is more important though is time and attitude.

And as the others have advised, start right and the journey will be worth it.

I have built a few balsa kits like these before when I was younger and I can tell you it doesn't pay to take short cuts or hasten things, it almost always goes wrong.

Like what crafter said, " One important aspect to always strive for is alignment and straightness/trueness " that's really important.

Don't ever rush, if it takes days to just do a few parts properly to get the alignment , strength and straightness, please do it, you won't regret. but if you rush the craftsmanship will show.

These kits are meant to be built slow to enjoy.

Comment

a bit of advise

alot of the building is actually done in the mind first . Sequence of assembly is important and is the real test of the flexibility and resourcefulness of yr mind. When I say sequence, it may well mean not in the normal logical sequence of doing things, the brain has to work much more before you can actually start the assembly.

Get a table , cheap 3 X 3 feet folding type if you can. Prepare to use small nails ( pins tend not to hold well ) on it ,small hammer / mallet, F, G clamps, clothes pegs, CA at most points is my preference And Lots of Patience.

Good luck !

Comment

Working...
                              X