Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been lazy this week. Only managed to install the stays on the tail pieces. I guess the idea of laying down rib stitches and pinking tape is putting me off the project until I summon more "chi".

To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Very nice Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
        I've been lazy this week. Only managed to install the stays on the tail pieces. I guess the idea of laying down rib stitches and pinking tape is putting me off the project until I summon more "chi".

Hi Tony,

ur build always makes me feel that its easy...

I do not have these skills myself but still enjoy the bits & pieces of your process... GOOD WORK!!!
        Roll call from hanger
        -Kyosho, STRATUS 1600 Glider
        -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 2.)
        -Cap 232-15 size
        -GWS P51 Mustang EP, from a nice DH flyer
        -Dualsky Breeze PRO

Kissed the ground...

-Scanner
        -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 1.)

Frequency

-Spektrum, DX7

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanflying View Post
          Hi Tony,

ur build always makes me feel that its easy...

I do not have these skills myself but still enjoy the bits & pieces of your process... GOOD WORK!!!
          Its not difficult if you choose a good quality and well designed kit to start. Something with simple slab sided fuselage and straight wings. Go for simplicity so stay away from kits of a Spitfire, Mustang etc no matter how attractive they may look to you. Good instructions help a great deal. SIG, Pilot, OK, Dynaliflite etc all produce such kits. Try it for yourself, its not as difficult as you think it is.

Confucius

Comment

Its not difficult if you choose a good quality and well designed kit to start. Something with simple slab sided fuselage and straight wings. Go for simplicity so stay away from kits of a Spitfire, Mustang etc no matter how attractive they may look to you. Good instructions help a great deal. SIG, Pilot, OK, Dynaliflite etc all produce such kits. Try it for yourself, its not as difficult as you think it is.
            thanks, that was a real encouragement. eventhough i have the love of war birds but trying to build them will take me some time or yrs of practice.

i am pretty much caught up by my little girl now, not much of my very own spare space. I will stick to watching building threads first...
            Roll call from hanger
            -Kyosho, STRATUS 1600 Glider
            -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 2.)
            -Cap 232-15 size
            -GWS P51 Mustang EP, from a nice DH flyer
            -Dualsky Breeze PRO

Kissed the ground...

-Scanner
            -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 1.)

Frequency

-Spektrum, DX7

Comment

Ah yes.....I am very familiar with these two setbacks. A common problem for most. You could try starting with smaller planes eg. 25-30 size. Quite a lot of kits in this size. A work table the size of a normal desk is all you'll need and some basic tools. As for time, typically I'd spend an hour or two after the kids have gone to bed 2-3 nights a week. This is why a typical build that would take a few weeks for most will usually take me 3 to 4 months. This also why I don't scratch build as it would too much time for me to print and cut out the parts and fabricate things like wire under carraiges etc etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like many kit manufacturers are or will soon go out of business so in time, scratch building may be the only way to go.[another sigh].
              Last edited by Tony; 28-09-2009, 09:34 AM.

Confucius

Comment

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, it looks like many kit manufacturers are or will soon go out of business so in time, scratch building may be the only way to go.[another sigh]./QUOTE]

Hehe Tony, that's one reason why I stick to electric. For EP, there is a good selection of short kits, especially from the US and UK. PILOT from Japan used to produce kits for many beautiful scale birds such as Cessna 150, Tiger Moth, etc. Today PILOT only left a few nitro and EP kits such as Mustang, Zero and Piper Club. Sigh...http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/imag...s/banghead.gif

Comment

Sign of the times. Cheap ARFs.........young people brought up on instant gratification..........no time to learn and practice craft skills, just study and PC games, study and PC games, study and PC games.......... I ought to know, I have two growing kids. Between them, they can't figure out how to screw in a light bulb. (sigh)

Confucius

Comment

Home made simulated rib stitching in the making. 22 strips in hand, another 40 more to go.

Confucius

Comment

Tony~ how you think sig wonder kit any good for me (1st timer)to start with?

i know im always looking to build myself a 1/3rd scale mustang~
                      [SIGPIC][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]DagoRed Rs131MPH[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by SniperWj View Post
                        Tony~ how you think sig wonder kit any good for me (1st timer)to start with?

i know im always looking to build myself a 1/3rd scale mustang~
                        Sure, if you can handle the plane (its quite a fast and nimble flyer). Simple wing and box fuselage. The SIG 4 Star series would also be a good alternative. The instructions in SIG kits are usually first rate. The only problem is SIG seems to be having some problems lately. Several major vendors that I have tried don't seem to stock their kits anymore. Dunno why?

Its not advisable to start your first build with a 1/3rd scale Mustang. Not unless its one of those fiberglass fuselage and sheeted foam wing scale jobs which involves assembly instead of building eg. Yellow Aircraft, Byron, many of the jet kits etc. With these type of kits, you would have already paid the manufacturer handsomely to do most of the skilled work for you. Some come even with panel line details, cockpit details, rivets etc and are so complete that you only need to know how to mix and apply epoxy and work a screw driver to assemble a dozen 95% pre-built parts together. Next to no skill required with these kits to get a flyable and quality model. Building such a kit will teach you little in preparation for the next build (unless it is yet another 95% complete assembly kit job). Still, if you have the $$$$ and want to go straight into flying a scale job, this would be a viable way to do it. But personally, I would derive little pleasure or sense of of pride/ownership in building such a craft.
                        Last edited by Tony; 30-09-2009, 09:36 AM.

Confucius

Comment

Home made simulated rib stitching in the making. 22 strips in hand, another 40 more to go.

Hi T,

Look very the power.

I guessed you are into the eyes busting detailing phrase of the build. Lucky this is play and not work to you.

Thanks for the infomative build thread.

Have fun.
                          TB

Comment

Yup. This is the stage where the bling blings gets added on. Fun stuff but a bit tiring. I'm going to redo the simulated rib stitching again with slightly thinner cord if I can find it..

I'm not sure what the judging rules are going to be like but it ought to be very relaxed for a scale fun fly. Judging distance ought to be way way off, like over the perimeter fence off (just kidding). So it should not matter as you can't see stitches from way past the perimeter fence can you!- but I'm just fussy that way.

Hey, I heard that you were coming in with a scratch built TBM Avenger. Wow!, that will be something worth looking out for. I like the ball turret at the rear.

Confucius

Comment

Hi T,
                              I too spend a fair bit of time scratch building the turret. Looking forward to see all the models at the coming meet.

Cheers
                              TB

Comment

Originally posted by tboltsg View Post
                                Hi T,
                                I too spend a fair bit of time scratch building the turret. Looking forward to see all the models at the coming meet.

Cheers
                                TB
                                Pictures pleeze!!!! Or another build log would be even better.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X