Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitro to Electric (CONVERSION)

Hi guys...

I'm hoping I don't need to sell my Nitro planes as it is still in fantastic working condition. Can't say about the engines though, dust collected over them.

Currently flying GWS E-Starter to familiarize myself with flying again. And its all good.

So, I have 2 planes- 40size and 60size NITRO. I want to convert them to electric. Is it even remotely possible ? What are the items I would require to get it back on its flying days.
    • Brushless motor _____KV ??
    • ESC ___AMP ?
    • Batteries __V ____mAh __C ??

What else ??

Thanks in advance fellas..

Cheers

Ah, nitro to electric...one of my long term projects.

gotta a EZ model zero fighter size 45 too, wanna convert it into a EP too.
    i'll be watching this thread, to see if i can pick up a tip or two!

i think the first thing i wanna do is to determine how heavy the mod plane will be. then i'll be able to calculate how much power it needs to fly.

the CG i reckon, will not be the same if transform from GP to EP, so this must address accordingly...

i know this will not be easy task, too many factors to consider.
    good luck!

marc

Comment

the short answer to nitro to electric convert is YES! Definitely possible!

Though, the electric motors of that size is not cheap, ESC need high amps and lipos high enough that you may need a different charger.

Suggest start with the .40size, since it's more doable and cheaper. Some sites sell a complete .40 size electric package that bundles the motor/esc/prop adapter/prop
      Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
      Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinanko View Post
        the CG i reckon, will not be the same if transform from GP to EP, so this must address accordingly...
        IIRC, CG of a wing don't change. You do the math, it should still be in the same spot.

Just the placement of new parts to balance the CG might be questioned.

noob here, just guessing.
        Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
        Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

The equivalent nitro engine and electric motor is as follow :

Motor selection :
          0.049 cu.in = 50 watt
          0.10 cu.in = 125 watt
          0.15 cu.in = 175 watt
          0.20 cu.in = 250 watt
          0.25 cu.in = 300 watt
          0.30 cu.in = 350~400 watt

ESC selection : ( continuous / Burst )
          50~175W use 15/22 Amp
          175~250W use 25/35Amp
          250~350W use 40/55Amp

If in doubt, use the bigger size ESC.

Above is a good estimate for equiping a plane with good take-off, climb and aerobatic performance.
          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Hi blueangel.

Thanks but I don't quite understand the conversion you provided.
            Correct me if I am wrong, 0.30 cu.in is 30size nitro engine ?

Anyway, I have 430L Brushless Motor (4050KV) and a 60A Brushless ESC. Would that be sufficient to equip the aircraft for safe take-off/landing and straight and level flight and maybe some aerobatics(high G turns perhaps ??) hahaha...

Thanks again guys...

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
            The equivalent nitro engine and electric motor is as follow :

Motor selection :
            0.049 cu.in = 50 watt
            0.10 cu.in = 125 watt
            0.15 cu.in = 175 watt
            0.20 cu.in = 250 watt
            0.25 cu.in = 300 watt
            0.30 cu.in = 350~400 watt

ESC selection : ( continuous / Burst )
            50~175W use 15/22 Amp
            175~250W use 25/35Amp
            250~350W use 40/55Amp

If in doubt, use the bigger size ESC.

Above is a good estimate for equiping a plane with good take-off, climb and aerobatic performance.

Comment

Apologies.. I am noobie on engine. I thought you guys fly nitro should know...

I took it off from my "Remote Control Model Flyer" magazine.

P.S. Please don't browse for free at Kinokuniya, support the bookstore, buy one.

Comment

Haha, thanks Blueangel.

The 4050KV brushless motor produces 330W of power. And based on the chart which you have provided, it is not suitable. However, the ESC works with the motor. But, no guarantees that it might lift off. (I think!)

Ain't no pro...

Need guidance..!

Comment

0.12cu.in - 2.0cc
                  0.15cu.in - 2.5cc
                  0.18cu.in - 3.0cc
                  0.21cu.in - 3.5cc
                  0.25cu.in - 4.1cc
                  0.27cu.in - 4.4cc
                  0.32cu.in - 5.2cc
                  0.36cu.in - 5.9cc
                  0.46cu.in - 7.5cc

Hope it explains something...

Comment

yeah, based on the engine chart blueangel has drawn up...it's safer & easier to convert closely based on the original nitro specs given by the plane maker.

the original nitro specs must have revealed the AUW, the CG & the power in nitro form too...to be on the safe side, you can actually mod alittle higher than the nitro specs.

i stress a possible change in CG because the arrangements of the nitro components, their weight & size will be different from that of an EP. just make sure the CG is the same.

one thing i'm not sure if it's workable...if i managed to convert GP to EP with some plane weight lost, will my 'close to GP' EP mod specs be suitable for the now lesser weight plane??

marc

Comment

Rockinanko, yes there is a huge volcano of information in the magazine. There are several ways to configure the plane for the electric conversion.

Another way is to calculate the wing loading. With that, you need to know the AUW of the plane in its Nitro configuration, calculate the wing loading ( need to calculate wing surface area ). From there, a list of table can be used to estimate the proper wattage required for the plane.

However, the explaination and calculation part of it is too complicated ( to me , lousy maths me ), I don't know how to put them in text here.

Comment

hi blueangel,

what's the name of the magazine you got there. perhaps I can acquire it at our local magazine shops.

thanks

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
                        Rockinanko, yes there is a huge volcano of information in the magazine. There are several ways to configure the plane for the electric conversion.

Another way is to calculate the wing loading. With that, you need to know the AUW of the plane in its Nitro configuration, calculate the wing loading ( need to calculate wing surface area ). From there, a list of table can be used to estimate the proper wattage required for the plane.

However, the explaination and calculation part of it is too complicated ( to me , lousy maths me ), I don't know how to put them in text here.

Comment

I came across a link before.

here, check it out.
                          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

GOOD STUFF, Sunstorn !!!

Thanks

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
                            I came across a link before.

here, check it out.

Comment

Hi

I had converted a nitro plane to electric 6 months ago.

You may use the information from this web site

This is the approach I use

1. Find out the AUW of the plane before conversion. Convert to lbs. A typical .40 size plane weights around 2.5kg (5.5 pound).

2. Determine what kind of performance you want from this plane. For aerobatic performance, you should be aiming for 100 – 150 watts per pound. So 5.5 X 150 = 825 Watts.

3. Find a motor that can generate 825 Watts and matching ESC, battery. Note: You may not able to get these ideal wattages due to battery size and weight; you may have to consider whether it can be fitted into your plane, or making your plane too heavy.

Due to $$$ constrain. I ended up using AXI 2826/12 outrunner, 60amp ESC and running on 4s 3600mAh 20C lipo. Output around 600 watts peak, abt 109 watts per pound and 6 mins of flying. It can loop from level flight which is enough for me.
                              Akro 804M(GP to EP), Built by Mr Bong in 1985, a gift from Daniel Soon - KIA
                              Phoenix Domino Trainer (EP) no1, eated by tree
                              Phoenix Domino Trainer (EP) no2, maiden on 17 Oct 09 at Anchorvale
                              Clouds Fly(EP), convert to night flyer?
                              Heli
                              Honey Bee Fp flight time - 110 hrs : Pass on to Invisible Angel for him to practice
                              Hirobo GPH346 flight time - alot of CP 15% liao

Comment

Working...
                              X