Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another scratchbuilt glider

I had a thought of catching thermal with a lightweight glider over hot sandy beaches, some months ago. I wanted to build a very lightweight glider, while using my 4 tiny Airtechnic AT-90 servos. However, I also thought of the method of launching to good height and found that discus style launch is the most practical method over our relatively narrow beach lines. So a DLG concept was adopted.

I also want to have a full house model so that I have the luxury of mixing spoilerons for more decisive landings, which is very important when flying over tight air and land spaces. The search the internet and found the Garnet,http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=294, which should fit the bill. Not wanting to spend more cash, I used the specs and designed my own model. I remembered I chose Mark Drela's AG series airfoils, but I can't remember which one.

I started and finished the wing a 2 months ago but left it aside for my other projects. Only last week, I picked up some leftover materials and finished up the rest of the model.

Constructions are mainly balsa built-up structure with carbon wing spars and tail boom. Fuselage is balsa box construction with fibreglass reinforcements. Tail surfaces are sanded down from 1/8" thick balsa sheet.

The specs are as below:

Wingspan : 60"
    Wingarea : 360sqin
    AUW : 10.4oz
    Wing loading : 4.16oz/sqft
    Airfoil : AG series transitioning from root to tip
    Servos : 4x AT-90
    Battery : 4 cell 300mah nicd pack
    Functions : aileron/spoilerons,elevator, rudder

I maidened it yesterday evening in very gusty conditions. The plane is currently slightly nose heavy and I didn't get very long flights. My launches are about 3-4 HDB storey high at the moment. Nevertheless, the model flies very well and the AG airfoil really allows the model to float down right to super slow speed. I did get a few small bumps to thermal today but yet to hit a real good one. Also, I need to further fine tune the model in order to get it best out of it. Right now, I'm looking for smaller Rx battery to get the CG right.

Hi Joe,
    That's a very nice version of the Garnet, even the AUW is about the same 10.4oz Vs 10.0oz.
    Let me know when are you heading for the sandy beaches....my Bug is ready and I will take care to prevent landing in the waters again.

Comment

Hi Joe,

You are indeed a very prolific builder. Hardly does your hobby knife ever get to cool off from one build before it is being applied to yet another. Keep it up. Cheers.
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Just learnt something today. During one of the launches today, I managed to lobe the model hard enough to cause the ailerons to flutter. During the process, one of the aileron servo got stripped. These tiny servos won't be able to handle the loads of big control surfaces like this at high speeds, so more care must be taken during the launch.

This somehow also affect the launch height unless the launch can further be perfected so as to gain more altittude by getting the correct launch trajectory than excessive speeds. So if you are a newbie in DLG like me, I'd suggest you use stronger servos for your DLG models with big control surfaces.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of changing and re-routing the servo and so I stripped down one of my dead servos on another model to cannibalise its gears for replacements. I'm rather pleased that I used Hot-melt glue to install the servos in place previously. To remove them, I just need to iron over the structures to loosen them.

BTW, I'd just replaced the 300mah Nicad with 3 alkaline AAA batteries solder in series. With this, the CG is spot on without further ballast and AUW is now reduced to under 10oz.

Comment

Hi Joe;

qn:
          How does one determine the servo size for control surface size? is there a guideline for this?

Build qn;
          Where the carboon rod tail boom joins the vert stab, did you have to make a notch? If so, how did you do it without splintering the carbon rod? did you use a dremel?
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Cool man, more DLG buddies

My B900 is duly repaired and just waiting to get the control lines in. We can go through some launches together.

Cheers,
            Adnan
            Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
            ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
            Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
              Hi Joe;

qn:
              How does one determine the servo size for control surface size? is there a guideline for this?

Build qn;
              Where the carboon rod tail boom joins the vert stab, did you have to make a notch? If so, how did you do it without splintering the carbon rod? did you use a dremel?
              Mainly 'agaration', but you can read other people's thread on thier servo selection or go by recommended servo sizes from kit manufacturers.

The vertical fin is epoxied into the notches cut out from the tail end of the CF boom, using my Dremel spin-off tool. Just tape the end with masking tape, mark out and cut.

The horizontal stabiliser is mounted over a small pylon, which is also epoxied onto the tail boom.

Comment

Alamak...

Another one....?
                Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                Having fun yet?
                36.39mhz
                40.77mhz

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                  Mainly 'agaration', but you can read other people's thread on thier servo selection or go by recommended servo sizes from kit manufacturers.

The vertical fin is epoxied into the notches cut out from the tail end of the CF boom, using my Dremel spin-off tool. Just tape the end with masking tape, mark out and cut.

The horizontal stabiliser is mounted over a small pylon, which is also epoxied onto the tail boom.
                  Thanks. Let's hope this coming beach soaring outing would be a better one!
                  I got 2 sub-1 metre gliders to try out.
                  "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Still early for the Southwest monsoon. The winds are all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by plug&fly View Post
                      Another one....?
                      Joe builds his gliders faster then you can change your underwear !

...But we love seeing them ! ...keep them coming Joe, I need your glider inspirational fix to keep me going in-between the NE monsoons.
                      Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

How? Did you get any thermal last Sunday? Your persistence is remarkable. I would have given up and just bungeed it. Anyway had to leave early to fetch the children from religious class. Just curious. But that lil bird floated ever so slowly and gently ... even saw you catch it in mid air and relaunching it. Awesome man..all that swinging and pivoting would have given a me backache if not a headache...hehehe.
                        Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                        Having fun yet?
                        36.39mhz
                        40.77mhz

Comment

I did got one near the circular road, which lasted over 3 minutes. But I had a bad landing earlier which caused a crack in one of the wings aft spar. After some flying, it got worst and I had to abort flying further. As usual, I only start to get ground level thermal after 11am.

Comment

Hey Joe,

When's the next time you gonna fly the Garnet? Finding DLG kakis

Cheers,
                            Adnan
                            Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                            ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                            Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
                              Hey Joe,

When's the next time you gonna fly the Garnet? Finding DLG kakis

Cheers,
                              Adnan
                              I'll be on short leave from thus Thursday to next Tuesday. We can meet up somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X