Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can i builid an aerofoil out of foam

Hi, I am a 14 year old guy and i need ideas on how to build aerofoils out of foam...... either a solid aerofoil or a hollow one????? Pls. do help and if possible give me a link to any video which expalins in detail on how to do it.... and what foam is recommended and where can i get it from???? THNX
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

For what purpose? Just the aerofoil or a wing for a certain plane ?

If building for a plane, each type of plane has a rather different chord.. so...good if you can give a little detail so experts can help.. ( I am not expert btw.. but glad to learn too )
    I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

i saw somebody doing it on youtube..... so i was wondering how can i do it without using some fancy gadgets..........
      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

another 14 year old flier, reminds me of this kid I know.

check out RCGroups and some of the older threads here.

Google is your friend.
        Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
        Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

You don't need fancy gadgets. You just need basic understandings and practices. All my equipment, other than the transformer, is home made with simple materials.

Comment

Or you can go extreme like me, build a CNC foam cutter. Cost me $1k in all using materials in Singapore. You need only a computer board capable of interfacing with your PC and control stepper motors from overseas.

With a lot of work and calibration, the possibilities are endless. This fancy gadget is quite painful in the beginning lol.

Having said the above, I haven't being using it in a long time.
            Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
              Or you can go extreme like me, build a CNC foam cutter. Cost me $1k in all using materials in Singapore. You need only a computer board capable of interfacing with your PC and control stepper motors from overseas.

With a lot of work and calibration, the possibilities are endless. This fancy gadget is quite painful in the beginning lol.

Can always loan it out or contribute to your college / polytechnic for charity if you don't plan to use it anymore ?

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
                Can always loan it out or contribute to your college / polytechnic for charity if you don't plan to use it anymore ?

I tried teaching a few friends to use it before, it is too much of a pain. Really need a combination of Software skills like Autodesk Inventor, Autocad etc; some PC building skills; some mechanical skills; most importantly model building skills. Basically it is a long road to walk, and not many are into that kind of a walk, including the people or entities you would like to donate to.

Comment

I tried teaching a few friends to use it before, it is too much of a pain. Really need a combination of Software skills like Autodesk Inventor, Autocad etc; some PC building skills; some mechanical skills; most importantly model building skills. Basically it is a long road to walk, and not many are into that kind of a walk, including the people or entities you would like to donate to.
                  Sorry O.T.

So much for Singapore's Education system... follow the books.

At least there is a relieve here in RC hobby where people still like to build their own plane from scratch, learn how to make wings and stuffs, motors from CD ROM drives and er... CNC machine.. ( although a bit overkilled ) ..

Comment

Edmund22,

You are the man I need to see about cutting a pair of foam wings. Have PMed you.

Tony
                    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      Edmund22,

You are the man I need to see about cutting a pair of foam wings. Have PMed you.

Tony
                      You know what Tony kekeke, I can even loan you the entire machine and play with it if you like.

No time and no space sigh...

Btw, you are looking at glider wings or what?

Comment

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post
                        Hi, I am a 14 year old guy and i need ideas on how to build aerofoils out of foam...... either a solid aerofoil or a hollow one????? Pls. do help and if possible give me a link to any video which expalins in detail on how to do it.... and what foam is recommended and where can i get it from???? THNX
                        You want to check out this thread and maybe consult with the TS as well. Seems like a pretty good and effective method for me. Homemade Gravity Assisted Foam Cutter!

Comment

You know what Tony kekeke, I can even loan you the entire machine and play with it if you like.

No time and no space sigh...

Btw, you are looking at glider wings or what?
                          Edmond22,

Thanks for the kind offer. I don't really want to learn how to use the machine as I don't have any plans to build foam planes. I just happen to have a kit (Byron Extra 300s) which uses foam wings. Unfortunately, they have dings on some corners. I just want to have two replacement foam wings made quickly with the least amount of fuss. I had thought that with the CNC machine you have, that this could be done quickly and easily. If its going to take lots of fiddling than I will just simply graft a piece of foam to the damaged corners and sand down. After sheeting, there won't be any difference either in strength or appearance.

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

You want to check out this thread and maybe consult with the TS as well. Seems like a pretty good and effective method for me. Homemade Gravity Assisted Foam Cutter!
                            http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...t=wing+cutting
                            Its a copy of a system which I think is called Featherlite or Feather-something. They used to see their advertisements appearing regularly on RCM magazine. Its supposed to be able to cut to a feather edge once the pulleys and weights are set up right. Builders of foamies might want to invest in something like this.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                            X