Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conversion EP to IC

Hi all! I have a Hyperion Helios 63E with a damage firewall due to a stupid mistake upon landing. My question is; has anyone convert an EP plane such as this or similar to an Internal Combustion(Nitro) Engine set-up? This plane is light and needs a lot of re inforcement. What are the areas that needs re inforcement and what are the pros and cons of this conversion? Have a few spare engines and my choice of engine would be an OS55AX 2stk or a Magnum 52 4stk. Any feedback or comments are appreciated. Thanks all

some fuel eats foam.

becarefull

Comment

Originally posted by BenziT View Post
      some fuel eats foam.

becarefull
      sorry sorry. post too fast.. yours is not a foam EP

Comment

Generally speaking, EP planes are not designed and built to withstand engine vibrations and fuel. The numerous lightening holes in the airframe structures can easily develop cracks induced by engine vibrations. 4 stroke engines in particular, has very rough vibrations at idling and backfirings, which can shake structural members apart in no time. As such, the airframe will need a lot of beefing up for such conversion, if you have the access to do so in the first place.

Next comes to fuel proofing. All bare wood surfaces in engine and fuel tank compartments will require fuel proofing, along with exposed areas like wing saddle, wing joints etc. Fuel spills and exhuast spray will certainly find thier way into the tiniest unprotected crevises and soak up the wood eventually before loosening the glue joints. Some planes have painted plastic parts liek wheel pants and cowlings may not come with fuelproofed paints. You also need to be certained that the coverings that come with the kit are fuelproof as well.

Comment

Working...
        X