Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Scale Kits

I've been surfing around looking for British scale kits and found this link.

http://www.dbsportandscale.com/Model...aft%20Kits.htm. Their Spitfire and Hurricane kits had me drooling. I love the Hurricane. Lovely.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Originally posted by Tony View Post
    I've been surfing around looking for British scale kits and found this link.

http://www.dbsportandscale.com/Model...aft%20Kits.htm. Their Spitfire and Hurricane kits had me drooling. I love the Hurricane. Lovely.
    Hey Tony,

Great to learn that you are looking at the British type planes, they are just so different isn't it?

I'm now building a 1/4 scale DH Tiger Moth, not from DB though. Spitfire is next on my list and Yellow Aircraft kit seems more scale than DB. Check this link:

Comment

Hi Viper,

Nice to hear that you are building a 1/4 scale Tiggie. Alway had a soft spot for the classic lines of this plane. How about putting a construction thread while you build it. I'd love to see it come together. Is it a scratch build or from a kit?

Yes, the DB Spit has quite obvious departures from scale. Probably to improve flight characteristics. I noticed that the wings appear stubbier than the full scale from the photos. The Hurricane was what caught my eye as it is a much less modelled plane. Pity though, because more Hurricanes saw more action than the Spit during WWII. Still, the Hurri has a chunky street fighter like stance that I like vs the sleek smooth curves of the Spit.

Always admired the Yellow Aircraft kits. Big and beautiful. Did you ship it in? What did it cost you? I've eyed them but never made a move to order them because I think the shipping cost must be quite prohibitive due to the volume of the box. Please do share.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Hi Tony,

I have been eyeing the Tiger Moth for a long time and been searching for a relatively scale version. Flair's kit are are challenge to build according to my Thai friend whom have built 7 of them (maybe different culture different approach?). Nevertheless I'm sure you will have no problem with it lah.

I decided to build the Arizona Aircraft 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and surprisingly this was available through one hobby shop here in SIN and I managed to grab the only one left.

I recovered it in fabric and now cutting out the panels, doors, full depth cockpit etc to make it scale. At the same time, I'm also making the full scale-like control using bell cranks and cables for rudder and elevators.

The nightmare is on the wing stuts and flying cables, they are a tough nut to set it.

I'll try to post some pictures of it.

The Yellow Aircraft Spitfire is a very nice size for flying. 9 years ago when I organized the first National Scale Competition here in Singapore, one of the participant compete with the Spit and it was simply gorgeous. I try to see if I have the picture in my file.

Yes I ship in the Yellow Aircraft kits myself. Still have the F-16 to re-paint and a brand new A6M5 Zero to build. Shipping is quite alright considering the size of the boxes.

You fly at PPFC right? Think I met you before there.

Comment

Hi Viper,

You have me drooling now. Flying wires, bell cranks and cables etc. Please do post a build thread.

Yes, I'm familiar with Arizona Aircrafters. I'd like to know what their kits are like. Seems some people have been disappointed with the quality or it could be that I just chanced upon a few bad comments first. Was looking up feedback because they have a 1/4 Bucker Jungmeister short kit that I'd like to get.

I've PMed you.

I was weaned on the likes of KeilKraft, Veron and Frog kits when I first started modeling. The Flair kits reminds me of them - just bigger and better crafted. I still remember having to cut out the parts as the kit came with printed balsa ie. no die cutting at all.

Has it been 9 years already. I went to see that event. Wanted to join in and started on an TF AT-6 but had to mothball it because I was too busy with work and brand new baby to finish it on time.

Yes, once you've flown a big plane, its not the same flying a little one. The big ones fly off the wing while it feels to me like a little one flies on the engine. My opinion only - hope I don't get whacked for saying this.

Regards.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Yes, once you've flown a big plane, its not the same flying a little one. The big ones fly off the wing while it feels to me like a little one flies on the engine. My opinion only - hope I don't get whacked for saying this.
            Hi Tony, not whacking you for saying something about small planes. I think those who can afford the time, space, money and very importantly, wife's approval for big planes, are very fortunate people. Personally, I love scale planes a lot, having "graduated" like many from plastic kits in our younger days. I watched DVDs such as Top Guns, War Birds over the Rockies, etc and marvelled at those fantastic 1/4 and 1/3 scale beauties.

For the aforementioned reasons, I have stuck to electric planes of wing span not exceeding 80". Like many of you, I have enough kits to open a small store. Although had been flying foam and RTF planes for the past few years, my main interest is still in kits. Still trying to find time to build them. I have 2 kits from Tony Nijhius (UK) for the B17 and Lancaster, each about 72" wing span. Also a number of kits from Pat Tritle in USA. His stick and covering designs are designed light to fly realistically. Among his designs, I also have another B17 and the DC6. Yes, I also have his Tiger Moth at 44" wing span.

Got to stop buying and build soon. Nice to know that there are other similarly like-minded people around here although we are on the opposite ends of the scale. Cheers.

Comment

Hi Tony,

Have sent you an email separately.

I am no expert to post a build thread as me still prefer flying than building

I'll share a couple of pictures of the mods made and give a brief account on its progress.

Perhaps we should re-launch the scale scene in Singapore again, there's lots of scale fanatics buried beneath the runway.

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                I think those who can afford the time, space, money and very importantly, wife's approval for big planes, are very fortunate people.

Got to stop buying and build soon.

Nice to know that there are other similarly like-minded people around here although we are on the opposite ends of the scale. Cheers.
                You mentioned "wife's approval". Ah yes...........the art of dealing with the MOHA aka Mistress of Home Affairs, is a fine skill that needs to be learnt if one is to go on to bigger things (pun intended) in this hobby LOL. I'd say its the most important for if the MOHA declares that you "get that dirty, greasy and stinking heap of rubbish (your precious RC plane) out of the house or else..............you know that you and your enjoyment of the hobby is going to be in the shithouse for a while if not an eternity.

Lots of boot licking and "negotiation" was needed to get my little "workshop" back in the house. Fact is, most of us living in high rise apartments in Singpapore, free space is at a premium. I look at the Americans and their garage or basement workshops and I can only drool.

Nice to know that there are others out there with the same affliction....buying and hoarding of airplane kits. Perhaps we could join up and open a small hobby shop. Just kidding I know, like me, you'd probably rather cut off your right arm than to let go of any of them right. LOL

I like the Pat Trittle designs. I have never built any of his but have read many articles written about his designs. He likes to build light. I've still got a number of small electric kits from Ryan Aircraft (Corsair & Wildcat) and Stevens Aeromodels (Cap 232). It'll be a long while before I get to build them.

But I have whole bunch of House of Balsa kits which are easily convertible to electric and they fly great with brushless S400 sized motors. I could be convinced to bring myself to sell/swap these. I think that I may have almost their entire range of small kits. I was flying a FW190 converted to electric from this range and flew it for years until I got dizzy and flew it into the ground while taking part in a fun pylon race with Joe Yap. I've got a build report somewhere I think with details of the conversion. Very simple conversion and it flies way better with electric than with the 0.49 ic engines they are designed for (I built the same plane years back and powered it with a TD 051). With the TD051, it liked to fly everywhere fast. Slow it down too much during turns and it'll virtually fall out of the sky. The electric version on a lipo flies much much better.

Come to think about it, I should go through the kits I have and put up the electric ones for sale as chances are, I may never get to build them at all.

Cheers. Keep in touch. I have PMed you.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                  Hi Tony,

I'll share a couple of pictures of the mods made and give a brief account on its progress.

Perhaps we should re-launch the scale scene in Singapore again, there's lots of scale fanatics buried beneath the runway.
                  Please do put up it up in this forum. I'd love to see the progress.

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

I have 2 kits from Tony Nijhius (UK)............ .
                    Oh No! Now why did you go do that? I mean lead me to another purveyor of what looks like a seriously interesting range of scale model kits. My MOHA (Mistress of Home Affairs aka the wife) won't like you for it, neither will my bank manager. ha ha.

Am now serioiusly engrossed with his range of kits. I've got the itch and it needs scratching. Have to resist the "Buy Now" button...........

Can you share what the kitting quality is like for the kits you have.

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Holy cow. He has got a 4 engined Avro Lancaster and Sutherland too.

Preferscale, you are going to be in seriously hot soup with my MOHA soon when she finds out that you are the one who is responsible for the Fedex man appearing with yet more large boxes..........

Hmmm. Will have to start thinking up some new and innovative lines The ..........."Honey, they aren't mine. Just keeping them for a friend" line won't carry water anymore. Darn! LOL.

Confucius

Comment

Tony,
                        For the Lancaster and B17 kits from Tony Nijhius, I have yet to open the pack containing the laser cut wooden parts since their arrival a few months ago. Afraid that the parts may pop out and get misplaced. But I think it is good to check them soon for any damage or missing parts. But for the plans and vac-formed parts (canopies, turrets, spinners for Lancaster, etc), they are pretty good. Unlike Pat Tritle, Nijhius designed his planes to be balsa sheeted so you don't get the "rib effect" as in the stick and covering method. I would actually like to build Pat's 75" wingspan B17 first but not sure where I can fly this relatively big electric bird. Tuas is a good choice (though windy at times) but that place is out after "that incident". May have to join RMS.

I also have a few kits from estar from Korea (Wilga and Air Tractor) and an Aero Sabaru kit from Japan. The Aero Sabaru, which cost a bomb due to postage and extra charge for paying via credit card, is a real beauty.

I agree with Viper that if there are enough scale fans around, we should have an informal group so that hopefully there will be more building and less buying.

Comment

preferscale,

If you are refering to the shrink wrap they often use to hold a stack of like sized laser cut balsa/ply sheet together, I would suggest not to cut it open unless you have a way to re-wrap it. From experience, once released from the shrink wrap, its all too easy for the laser cut parts to fall off and disappear.

The stick and tissue style that Pat Trittle uses is very much like the KeilKraft rubber powered free flight kits of old. The effect on ribs etc is sometimes referred to as the "starved horse look". Peter Rake's designs are fairly similar, if perhaps with slightly more sheeting being typical for the fuselage.

RMS is a good site to consider. The PPYFC site further down where I fly has less traffic and should be ok for a 72 inch model with big fat wheels that these two bombers have. Ideal would be a tarmac runway but none available (sigh).

Both the Avro Lancaster and the B17 look to be real builders models and a interesting build. Sounds like you going to have a good time building them. Have fun. Do put up a construction thread if you do as I'd like very much to see them come together.

I shall be doing some serious investigation into a few of the Nijhius kits. The Hurricane, Spit and the Lancaster looks most interesting.

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

I agree with Viper that if there are enough scale fans around, we should have an informal group so that hopefully there will be more building and less buying.
                            Thats a good idea. I'll support such a move. Shall we open a new thread to ask around and see if we can get more like minded people to form this group?

Tony

Confucius

Comment

count me in , I love scale but no $ for scale

so build with what I have to "make" it look scale

so good if can stick with ppl who can do scale

c c look look also happy

Comment

Working...
                              X