Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balsa USA kits

I've always wanted to add some of the Balsa USA kits to my collection but never got around to do it. The bad news about a birthday at my age is that you are reminded that its a year closer to deep six but you get nice presents. Well, look what the Fedex man brought today. 4 boxes from Balsa USA - Hooray for Birthdays.

Balsa USA does an assortment of scale and sport planes in their range but they are better known for their 1/3 and 1/4 scale WWI biplanes. I chose three 1/4 scale biplanes. The Sopwith Pup, Nieuport 28-c1 and the Fokker DR1. These three are the lightest in the range and are supposed to come out around about 12 to 14 pounds final weight. Will fit the MVVS 26 gasoline engines to a tee. The others in the range are heavier beasts with finished weights around 20+ pounds requiring 35cc gas. Thought it best to try the lighter weight ones first before venturing to the heavier models.

The boxes are pretty solid and contents were nicely packed and well protected. The boxes arrived undamaged and all the wood and safe and snug inside. The kits have nicely drawn rolled plans.

Cowls are nicely formed but appear somewhat thinner than I'd expected. I will probably get fiberglass replacements from Stan's Fibertech. Although the box is filled with what appears to be a small lumberyard worth of balsa wood, it was not as big as I had expected. I guess it must be the nature of the WWI aircraft being made of sticks and stringers - there are more sticks in the box than there are planks or sheet. Wood quality is excellent. Being a balsa basher - I really appreciated the nice clean and crisp balsa which filled the boxes to the brim. If you are not a balsa addict, the quantity of wood and parts in the box may give you a mild fit.

The planes do not come with much by way of accessories. Stuff like scale machine guns, vinyl decals and scale wheels are extras and they do add to the bill somewhat. Those are 7 in Dubro vintage wheels in the background. First time I have ever ordered these and they seem to be quite heavy. Perhaps nothing to a plane that has almost 2,000 sq inches of wing area but light they are not.

These are going to the back of the pile to wait their turn on the building board. There are several other kits that I further ahead on the construction queue that needs to be built first.

I found that my experience of ordering from Balsa USA has been a pleasant one. Response time to e-mail queries was very quick - usually by the first half of the next work day. Their ordering system was very straight forward. Accessories are listed. The only thing that you have to note is that their system does not give you a last chance review page before confirming the order. By last chance review page, I mean the page that usually comes after you have typed in your credit card details and you get the stage when the system asks you - "Hey dummy are you really really really sure you want to place the order". Some systems give you a 3rd chance and will ask again - "Hey - this is your last last last chance to change your mind now, hit the return button and forever hold your peace" page. The Balsa USA web site caught me by surprise. One moment I was keying the list of stuff I had wanted, next came the credit card details and in a blink, you get the thank you for your order note on the next screen. Nothing, absolutely nothing lies between the" filling of credit card details" page and the "thank you for your order" page. A few days later, the bell rings and a grinning Fedex man appears at your doorstep with a bunch of big boxes.

I won't find out about the parts fits etc until I start building but from the forums I've read about Balsa USA kits have been very positive and I shall be looking forward to building these kits soon.
    Last edited by Tony; 18-03-2009, 01:52 PM.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Blueberry,

I received your PM. I'm replying here so more people can know about it.

I bought the kits direct from Balsa USA. Their web site is here - http://www.balsausa.com/html/index.html. They have an on-line ordering system. Once you confirm the order, the friendly Fedex guy appears at your door with your boxes in about 5 working days.

Shipping cost is quite high but if you order several kits at a time, the average shipping cost per kit falls as the shipping cost for each additional kit is lower than for the first. If there is enough people, I may consider consolidating the order and add to the two more kits I've been thinking of getting.

I've just had my sister hand carry a Flair 1/4 scale Tiger Moth for me. Its truly a first rate and exquisite kit. It went out of production for some time and now is back again but it appears to be in small quantities as many dealers in the UK may list it but do not have stock of it. How long it will still be available, I can't say. I managed to find a very helpful dealer - Steve Webb of Steve Web Models who had it and it just arrived. It arrived well protected in its outer brown carton with everything inside intact and in perfect order.

They are expecting to receive a supply of several other kits in the Flair range and I am thinking of shipping some of them in when they become available in a weeks time (estimated). The link to Flair is here http://www.flairmodels.co.uk/ . I'm thinking of getting the Puppeteer, the SE5a and the Fokker DVII. These are sports scale WWI biplanes. If there are people who are interested in getting some of these kits, I can consider consolidating to reduce the shipping cost per kit. The exchange rate for Stirling is way down and it makes these kits quite affordable. Let me know.
    Last edited by Tony; 31-03-2009, 02:42 PM.

Confucius

Comment

Tony,

Are you opening a shop or are you going to build them?

Comment

Joe,

Yes, it appears that I've enough to open a small hobby shop . No, I only have the time now to build maybe 1 or two a year at the most. The rest for a well deserved retirement soon (I hope) I thought I better buy some of these to keep before they go out of business eg. SkysharkRC, Flair etc. Next up on the building board is the Top Flite AT-6. This has gone out of production already. Started on it about 10 years back and mothballed it halfway through. Will be restarting on it soon once I fix up my "workshop" again.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
        X