Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger Moth

Anyone own this bird?maiden it today.Used the underhand toss method.The plane went up by its own without any elevator input from me.I added lots of downtrim.I wonder if its the tail that causes the effect or there is some up trim?

Have not flown alone before so tis is the 1st time im trimming the plane by myself.Also,I overdischarged a 11.1V batt as i full throttle most of the time for the first flight.(had 3 flights) It ballooned up and was hot.After my other 2 flights,it went back to the same size.Wonder if i should charge it as im afraid it will blow up.Any advises?

Overall,this is a nice bird to fly ecept for the current up trim.The plane had hard landings all 3 flights(time for some practise )Nothing broke.The plane flipped once it touches the grass.Was quite amazed actually.

So,can anyone help me with the problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Plane 1:
    FreeWing F-15
    Stock and modded with speed brake mod

Plane 2:
    GWS Blue Angels C-130 (EDF)
    Stock and modded with cargo doors

Control System:Futaba 9CHP 72MHZ

Check your CG? is it the 400size or the pico one? For both you probably need about 5 degrees of downthrust. And it needs to be balanced properly. Anyway the 400size has a flat bottomed airfoil so it will naturally climb on power and airspeed. it is designed to be so. The pico one has undercambered wings, so it will climb like no body's business on power. I had one of each donkey years ago. Both need a bit of nose heaviness to fly beautifully.
    To check your thrust line you climb to a comfortable height and cut throttle. If the bird noses down, you probably have too much upthrust. If it noses up, then too much downthrust. Test this on a not so windy day. The cg of the gws tigermoth is about 10-15mm back of the lower wing leading edge. To check cg in flight, go inverted. If the bird pitches up then it is tail heavy, pitches down - nose heavy whatever the case, shift batt or electronics to adjust. Try not to add any weight, This bird flies best when built light.
    Go back in one piece to fly another day.
    Having fun yet?
    36.39mhz
    40.77mhz

Comment

GWS Tiger Moth?

Check the CG, very important.

what kind of setup you have on your plane?

GWS Tiger Moth was marketed as a plane for brushed motors. That means usually they are expecting a nose heavy setup.

Many people, like me, will actually pair it with Brushless nowadays and it is lighter yet more powerful and the additional capacity for a larger mAh lipo.
      Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
      Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

Hey Jack

You are right. However, the tigermoth was designed to been flown with a 400 size geared brush motor which easily weighs about 100grm. So if an equivalent powered brushless motor is used which may weigh only half or slight more than half of the brushed motor, you'd probably need to add weight up front or move your electronics up front.
        I had to add about 40grms on mine when I converted to brushless motor: the axi 2212/34 was only 69grms compared to the 100 something grms brushed motor.
        Having fun yet?
        36.39mhz
        40.77mhz

Comment

Originally posted by plug&fly View Post
          Check your CG? is it the 400size or the pico one? For both you probably need about 5 degrees of downthrust. And it needs to be balanced properly. Anyway the 400size has a flat bottomed airfoil so it will naturally climb on power and airspeed. it is designed to be so. The pico one has undercambered wings, so it will climb like no body's business on power. I had one of each donkey years ago. Both need a bit of nose heaviness to fly beautifully.
          To check your thrust line you climb to a comfortable height and cut throttle. If the bird noses down, you probably have too much upthrust. If it noses up, then too much downthrust. Test this on a not so windy day. The cg of the gws tigermoth is about 10-15mm back of the lower wing leading edge. To check cg in flight, go inverted. If the bird pitches up then it is tail heavy, pitches down - nose heavy whatever the case, shift batt or electronics to adjust. Try not to add any weight, This bird flies best when built light.
          The bird goes up.When inverted,the bird pitches down.I thought the CG is the leading edge of the lower wing?Hmmm...then im wrong.
          Plane 1:
          FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Originally posted by JieZ View Post
            The bird goes up.When inverted,the bird pitches down.I thought the CG is the leading edge of the lower wing?Hmmm...then im wrong.
            I mean my plane pitches up and i needed to push my elevator stick to keep it level and during inverted,i needed to push my elevator stick to keep it level too.im on mode 1
            Plane 1:
            FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Confirm it is tail heavy. Maybe you need to move things forward. Start with your batt first and then move other things. Add weight only as a last resort.
              Having fun yet?
              36.39mhz
              40.77mhz

Comment

Confirm it is tail heavy. Maybe you need to move things forward. Start with your batt first and then move other things. Add weight only as a last resort.
                Batt is at the front end.So are the electronics.

How do i balance lipos?when my batts reached its peak,I used a batt monitor to check.And the cells were not balanced.Am i going to cycle it or its ok?m using t15 plus
                Plane 1:
                FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Originally posted by JieZ View Post
                  Batt is at the front end.So are the electronics.

How do i balance lipos?when my batts reached its peak,I used a batt monitor to check.And the cells were not balanced.Am i going to cycle it or its ok?m using t15 plus
                  then choice have to add weight liao

Comment

yea.been raining at my place.cant go out and test the bird.what about the batt issue?
                    Plane 1:
                    FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

If you have another one, use it if not, buy a new one. It is dangerous to fly with a bloated/unbalanced batt..you may never know when it will blow.
                      As for charging it, you may try, but place your battery in a ceramic container, never in a metalic one-ah! Charge it at the lowest amp input and monitor closely. Any out of the ordinary happens, unplug and haul everything still in the ceramic container out of your house.
                      Having fun yet?
                      36.39mhz
                      40.77mhz

Comment

If you have another one, use it if not, buy a new one. It is dangerous to fly with a bloated/unbalanced batt..you may never know when it will blow.
                        As for charging it, you may try, but place your battery in a ceramic container, never in a metalic one-ah! Charge it at the lowest amp input and monitor closely. Any out of the ordinary happens, unplug and haul everything still in the ceramic container out of your house.

Where to get the ceramic container?Whats the difference between liposafe bag and a ceramic container?I charged it a 1C Nothing happened
                        Plane 1:
                        FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Can use a claypot ?
                          Use longer charging leads, battery inside claypot, charger outside, at a distance.

Of course, I don't really mean claypot lah, something that can tahan the fire is good. But so far claypot chicken stall their claypot everyday on fire but never break

Jokes aside, be careful and keep watchful eyes over the battery all times.
                          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Haha.Nice one.I always leave my charger and batts beside me while i play games with my friends
                            Plane 1:
                            FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Will a 12*6 prop be an overkill for this motor?
                              http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...1&idx=1&gid=12
                              Plane 1:
                              FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

Working...
                              X