Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futaba 12FG and 12Z

Thinking of switching over to spread spectrum when I get back to flying again - soon.........if I can gather enough Chi to get off my lazy butt to fix up the last remaining 3% of work needed on my Sig Hog Bipe and the MK Silent to get them into a flying state.

Anyways, back to the subject of the Futaba 12FG and 12Z, it appears to me that that besides the Li-ion battery, there is not much difference between the two except for the significant price premium the 12Z has over the 12FG. I've just had a quick glance at the info on Futaba's web page and this is what I've gathered. Can anyone enlighten me as why one would pay the premium for the 12Z?

What are the pros and cons versus JR's offering? I've been out of rc modelling for a few years and there has been lots of changes since - what with spread spectrum (wow - no more frequency clashes) etc etc etc.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

You are paying for the easier to use joystick interface, the nice radio case(as in the metal carrying box), better feel in your hands and better quality gimbal sticks. The 12z is supposedly faster too because of the dual processor vs the 12fg 's single, but different processor. I believe the 12z sticks can also be re-calibrated at home. 12fg confirm cannot recalibrate at home, but how often do you need to do so?

spread spectrum is JR and spektrum. FASST is futaba.

sigpic

Comment

JR and Spektrum is same same.. only I "heard" Spektrum is the lower end ??
      Read from Mfg country is my ancestor's country - China..
      I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

12z is supposedly to have all the features of 14Mz less the fancy mp3 player, touch screen and color screen.

12f have very slightly lesser features than the 12z, but almost all the important ones are inside. (some not so impt ones are like multi-engine (4 engines) )

If I am not wrong, 12z allows more condition settings., but has less 3-position switches.

Check out the manuals on line:

huh

Comment

Seems to me that the 12f is the better buy. Not much difference between them but $$$$$ cheaper. Seems strange that Futaba would make two products so close in features but so different in price. My finger has been itching to hit the "Buy Now" button. Must hold back........exercise self restraint........need .discipline........

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
            Seems to me that the 12f is the better buy. Not much difference between them but $$$$$ cheaper. Seems strange that Futaba would make two products so close in features but so different in price. My finger has been itching to hit the "Buy Now" button. Must hold back........exercise self restraint........need .discipline........
            Functionality-wise, it is a better buy.

But once you hold the 12z and 12fg you'll immediately know which one is superior.
            You buy a radio system for the entire user experience, not only for its functions.

I think i rmb TmMugen saying something after he got a JR 12X right after buying a Futaba 12z...something like "buy with your heart. dont buy with your brain."
            Don't PCW

Beam E4
            Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
            Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Originally posted by helirulz View Post
              Functionality-wise, it is a better buy.

But once you hold the 12z and 12fg you'll immediately know which one is superior.
              You buy a radio system for the entire user experience, not only for its functions.

I think i rmb TmMugen saying something after he got a JR 12X right after buying a Futaba 12z...something like "buy with your heart. dont buy with your brain."
              This is somewhat similar to the Panasonic/Leica conundrum involving identical cameras made by Panasonic which are sold as under the Lumix brandname and Leica brandname. Other than the cosmetic differences, there is usually nothing significantly different - except for the $$$$ of course. Ever since they started this practice, there have been endless arguments on popular photography forums with people arguing - rather passionately - the merits of the rebadged Leica vs the humble Lumix. I find it rather amusing really. They both produce the same picture. The only diff is that one has a red dot that says Leica across it and a cow had to give up its life to make the case that it came in.

The JR 12x is one serious hunk of equipment. I guess if the 12F felt like a toy vs the 12Z, it'll make a difference for me. I've handled some Txs (whose name cannot be mentioned a la Harry Potter's Valdemort ) that really felt vry much like a child's toy and further more, it had this rather silly toggle switch on top of one of the sticks that kept being activated by accident (hint). Otherwise I'll settle for the signfiicantly cheapr 12F and pocket the $$$. In the present times of economic doom and gloom, its become a necessity to think with the head and not the heart when it comes to $$$$

Thanks for the discussion. I shall go try them out.

I note that Towers has a pretty sweet offer - the 12F comes with an additional free 7 channel 2.4 ghz receiver.

Confucius

Comment

I have the intention of getting the 12Z as well. I guess i know which Tx brand you are referring to & I too happen to have it.

Is there any where to get a feel of the JR12x locally? I have been a Futaba user most of these while so I would think the 12Z should be rather fine for me.

As the 12Z is a latest product than the 12x & with the dual processor certainly caught me.

This is a good discussion & do let us know which is a more pref Tx for you after you tried them.

Comment

Originally posted by joed View Post
                  I have the intention of getting the 12Z as well. I guess i know which Tx brand you are referring to & I too happen to have it.

Is there any where to get a feel of the JR12x locally? I have been a Futaba user most of these while so I would think the 12Z should be rather fine for me.

As the 12Z is a latest product than the 12x & with the dual processor certainly caught me.

This is a good discussion & do let us know which is a more pref Tx for you after you tried them.
                  The 12Z has been out for quite sometime already(about 2 years) whereas the 12x is a newer product in the market.

With respect to the 12z having dual processors...that's just a marketing gimmick. There's no advantage in having the 2nd processor other than bragging about having 2 processors
                  Don't PCW

Beam E4
                  Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
                  Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

i c & the 12Z & 12x is going for about the same price.... hmmm

Is there any where locally to see & feel a 12x?

Comment

u can try hobby shack if they have the stock
                      noob

Comment

these are some minor functionity difference:

12z
                        8 type of heli swash
                        Support Fuel mixer control carb via a servo
                        7 Mixing Curve types: Linear1, Linear2, EXP1, EXP2, VTR, LINE, SPLINE
                        Multi-engine support (4 engine)
                        CF card
                        7.4V LiIon
                        Can be re-calibrated yourself
                        -------------
                        12f
                        7 type of heli swash
                        3 Mixing Curve types: EXP1/EXP2/POINT
                        SD card
                        9.6V NiHm
                        ----------
                        As on recalibration, there are afew isolated cases reported in other forum that 12FG either left the factory slightly out of calibration, or detoriated through use. How true on this, I do not know.
                        -------

Which to choose? Trust your heart, and don't regret after you buy.
                        huh

Comment

12fg is 7.2v nimh, so can use 2s lipo...

The charge connector for tx is a weird size, so have to use their wall charger for nimh unless you want plug out battery everytime.

Tower dropped the list price of 12fg by from $999, thats why the price is so much difference from the 12z.

sigpic

Comment

Its dropped further I guess. Towers price is now US$799. Includes the usual stuff and 4 standard servos and 14 channel 2.4 ghz receiver. The big plus is an extra 7 channel 2.4 ghz receiver comes free.

I've read in another forum that the battery fit is very tight so may not be practical to pluck out all the time to charge Nimh.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                              Its dropped further I guess. Towers price is now US$799. Includes the usual stuff and 4 standard servos and 14 channel 2.4 ghz receiver. The big plus is an extra 7 channel 2.4 ghz receiver comes free.

I've read in another forum that the battery fit is very tight so may not be practical to pluck out all the time to charge Nimh.
                              huh? I thought I saw "Servos: None"
                              huh

Comment

Working...
                              X