Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.4m Minimoa

Hi guys,

My latest addition to my fleet is a 3.4m minimoa. Was giving to me by a good friend. It is by worldmodels (after looking for a while).

It has a figerglass fuse and built up wings. Its an ARF. Another good friend contributed some servos. In 2 evenings the planes was ready.

Lets clear up the Wrong instruction once and for all. It is stated the CG is 135mm from leading edge, My maiden flight, I flew it at 123mm and it was tail very heavy. NOw it is flying at 110mm.

I did a search on the net for info and flying characteristics, found almost none. Probably the instruction cg killed most of the plane on maiden.

It looks good but I cant say the same for the flying. For the info of all who are building or thinking of flying this bird pls read the following. It is very critical in my opinion for a sucessful flight.
    1) cg, get it right, it has a very short nose therefore a lot of weight is needed, I have almost 800gm lead in the nose, AUW is 3.1kg
    2) even with 2/5 differential, the adverse yaw is ridiculous. mixing with rudder is a must.
    3) It has an all-flying fin, rudder deflection actually pitches the plane up substantially, I have noticed my 4m discuss pitches down slightly with rudder deflection as it is a T tail, but this plane, having a conventional tail pitches up substantially with rudder. I have 25% down elevator mix into rudder. Now it is behaving better.

I have 4 flight on it now, 2 of which lasted less than a minute(wasnt pretty, particularly the landing), the other 2 lasted well over 20mins, today was about 150m high at one point.

Looks great in the air but not a conventional plane, a lot of twiging is needed to get it to fly normally.

Of course this is only my observation and my lack of experience flying vintage gliders.

Will be repairing some damages sustained today, if can complete, will take her out again tomorrow.

Cheers.

Again, special thanks to Dennis for taking the photos

Airbourne Pics

What a launch...! Thanks to super launcher! better than catapult

Comment

Folks used to mock at me when I lob my gliders up in the air like grenades. But when they launch my 3m Duo Discus, they know why I did that. Anyway, any extra effort imparted to the glider counts on such shallow slope that we have.
      Last edited by joe yap; 02-02-2009, 07:35 AM.

Comment

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwbjExm2z0s

got the launch on video. nice stall turn n save . kekeke
        what's next?

Comment

Originally posted by Mazon View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwbjExm2z0s

got the launch on video. nice stall turn n save . kekeke

Thanks. What a maiden..scary as hell. This the flight with the aft cg and insufficient rudder mix.

Anybody have video of the moving pilot?

Comment

The day when China made composite rules the skies over Bedok Reserviour.

Left to Right: Ken's Zoom, Wei Yao's Vento and Dennis's Vento

Few more China made with Mininoa and Ginger.

Salto 4m at the back.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
              Folks used to mock at me when I lob my gliders up in the air like grenades. But when they launch my 3m Duo Discus, they know why I did that. Anyway, any extra effort imparted to the glider counts on such shallow slope that we have.
              I wished I had videoed you launching your S400 pylon racers. Quite a sight. Never seen anyone run so fast or heave anything so hard into the air- like a an Olympic javalin thrower. LOL!
              To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Wei Yao speck out on his second flight after maidening.

Comment

"I am here"!!!
                  That's hilarious man!
                  It was a good day though.

Thanx!
                  SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

Good news,

Flew the minimoa 6 launches today, though the condition was not that favourable, but got the flight controls sorted out now it flies normally.

The solution is to mix 24% down elevator whenever the rudder is deflected.

Thanks to the guys helping me launch the plane today. Now it looks like a keeper.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X