X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice finish well done.

Comment

Originally posted by suxbux
      Tony, I would change the spinner to one with a metal back plate.This mean SOB of an engine chews up spinners with its torque and heat.You'd tighten and tighten until the plastic backplate welds itself to the prop.
      Its a great engine-runs best with a 12 x7 APC or 11.5 X7 Bolly.Have 4 of this suckers.
      Personally, the purple can monster beats it hands down.

Hi Sux,

Long time no see. Yes, I've read some threads talking about what the torque from this engine does to spinners. Thats pretty incredible - I've never owned an engine that does this. Advice heeded, I'll go get a spinner with aluminium backplate.
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

GREAT-Lookin' Bird!

All the Best to her maiden flight

Comment

Yup....have to agree, that's one great looking bird. Please let us know where you intent to maiden her.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments folks. Aiming for this Sunday if time allows me to go flying. If not, next weekend.

Confucius

Comment

Thanks for the compliments folks. Aiming for this Sunday if time allows me to go flying. Otherwise, next weekend.

Confucius

Comment

The recommended fuel line setup for the YS63S is as follows:

Although I have bought the fuel dots, I have a number of Dubro Kwik Fill Fuel Valves which I could use instead. These were bought years ago but never used. I understand that the pressure that the YS system builds is quite considerable.

Has anyone used the Dubro fuel valves? Are they any good? ie. do they leak, are they reliable, can they withstand the pressure from the YS system?

I've used fuel dots before and they are reliable but they are somewhat more fiddly to use for people with fat thumbs like mine.

Confucius

Comment

Great when new,crap when old.Describes a lot of other things doesn't it? Could be a source of trouble.I'd stick with the nipples.
                  You can pretend to play with them-makes refuelling a pleasure.Remember to colour code/mark them, don't want to have fuel in your face.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will revert to the simple but honest fuel dots. Good point about the colour coding.

Confucius

Comment

Help with plumbing on the YS63S

Can someone who has a YS63 "S" help out here. This engine has two inlets on the regulator. One for the fuel line and the other for the overflow line. I need to know which is for which. For the sake of clarity, the regulator inlets are in line with one upper nipple and one lower nipple. Does the fuel line go to the upper nipple or the lower nipple (and vice versa for the overflow line)?

I lost the manual included with the engine and what I can get from the net is for the earlier non-S version which has the regulator mounted underneath the engine on the crankcase and has a slightly different plumbing layout.

Thanks.

Confucius

Comment

Tony, fuel into the engine goes to the top nipple (you can see the arrow showing fuel flow direction in front of regulator). The bottom nipple is for pressurisation so theres where the check valve is attached too.

Comment

Thanks Sux.

Fuel line goes to the top nipple and the overflow line with the check valve goes to the bottom nipple. One way check valve positioned such that air flows into the tank but now out. Right?

How did it ever get so darned complicated with check valves and superchargers and wot not. Still remember the days when we could go fly with a can of diesel fuel in one hand and a good flipping finger in the other?

Confucius

Comment

OK. No excuses now.With a bit of Chi and a deep breath, I completed all the loose ends - mounted all the servos, epoxied all the hinges, and adjusted throws, linkages, clevises, fuel proofed the engine bay, sealed all the Monokote joints, completed the plumbing yadda, yadda, yadda and got it done in one go before I turned blue.

So, here she is all flight ready. All up weight (AUW) is 2,305 gm (5 lb. 1 oz). Boy, where did the last half kilo come from. This is nearer the upper limit of the range for this design but still light. Maiden will be the next free weekend - not a lot of that for me lately, with good weather.

This is the business end with the YS63S very tightly snuggled in the fibreglass cowl. As you can see, its a skin tight fit. Got the wrong coloured TF paint. I bought metalic red when it should have been pearl metallic red. Ah well, it still looks like as if it was intentional. I could always respray it as it will fly minus the cowl until the engine is properly run in. Don't want to risk overheating the YS engine, which I understand is quite prone.

Er Had a little spare time so went a little berserk with the decals.

Last edited by Tony; 28-10-2005, 09:20 AM.

Confucius

Comment

SWEET! Great job man! But no well pants?

Thanx!
                              SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lu wei yao
                                But no well pants?

Thanx!

Thanks. Wheel pants will depend on airfield conditions. Long grass can be pretty unkind to wheel pants. Especially the ones for this plane as they are long and low.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X