Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Thermal Studio Urban RES Project

Hot on the heels of my Kyosho Spitfire, I decided to continue the momentum and build another plane. It's a 'feel like building' mood thing for me, so might as well really do it.

I came back recently from my Japan holiday which I managed to visit two hobby shops in Tokyo Akihabara area. I was specifically looking for powered gliders. I think this period of time, SG will be pretty hot and the wind ain't right yet for pure slope, so I could still glide abit with this. Both stock a pretty number of roach (wood) glider kits, but of course the price is , more so for scalies. In the end, budget and all, I ended up getting the Urban.

The Urban is a basic RES (Rudder Elevator Spoiler) electric glider of 2.1m. There was the bigger brother there the Urban XC, but not knowing what I am in for, I didn't take the chance. Either way its a decision made also based on the powerplant requirement. It needs only a small sized 3S lipo setup to go up, and really no frills, that was budget enough for me.

Specs for the glider is here.http://www.thermal-kobo.jp/item/inde...=grp01&level=3

Building it was not difficult, the quality of Thermal Studio is outstanding. The laser cut parts are truly perfectly cut, each piece comes off easily and stays in one piece (some brand kits have parts so badly cut, it takes a full penknife effort to remove it).

Power setup is copied wholesale from Joe Yap's Topmodel Bliss. Joe's setup was incidentally the correct fit for me, and therefore decided not to stress over this. Thanks Joe! And thanks to ChiaDennis too, he helped me buy the items on a tagalong purchase at the LHSs.

GS 28-34-10 (880kV) brushless motor
    Aeronaut 11 x 7 folding prop with Aeronaut 40mm spinner
    CC 35A ESC set to maximum efficiency mode, lowest spool up
    1900mAh PQ 3S1P Lipo (soon to be 1800mAh Dualsky 3S1p Lipo)
    Airtronics/Sanwa RDS8000 FHSS 8ch, throttle set on switch
    Esky 8g servos

My static amp draw at full throttle is 11A, I am happily surprised but will continue to monitor.

The overall build took me 2 weeks, and finally yesterday afternoon it was the time to know the truth - will it fly or not? This is my first full wood kit build since 1992(CG Tiger 2) and so my rusty building skills is put to the test. I had particular difficulties aligning the opening angles of the spoilers, but I decide to make the best effort and live with it.

Weather condition wise, it was turbulent winds and at the corner of my eye, the sky is dark and already about to pour. Refusing to give up, I powered up up to full, okie the nose is still with the fuse, a gentle toss and up she goes.
    And a few down clicks later, she is floating in the air! Relief.

No thermals found, some control corrections required back on the ground, but handling was nothing to complain about.

In summary it feels really good to be able to bring a pile of balsa, to become a plane and a spectacle in the sky. Hopefully more people will try kit building in this ARF time and age.

Last edited by Cycross; 01-11-2008, 03:07 PM.

More pics:

sanding equpment - PermaGrit is wonderful

Scrapovers

Wings remaining to be covered

Ready to fly!

Comment

My opinion about using Monokote

I am not sure whether any one else faces this, but...
      I absolutely will not use Monokote covering if I can avoid it!

Initially I was using Monokote Clear to cover the wings, but I found that the tackiness of the covering is pretty high, and to further shrink it, I had to go to around 150-160deg C. Even so, the covering was brittle to my opinion, and didn't shrink alot. In the end, I took a U-Turn and tore away the lousy work and redo all over.

I have much better success with Towerkote, and needless to say, the Urban is on Towerkote all round.

Comment

no wonder......

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon bai View Post
          no wonder......
          no wonder what?

Comment

When maiden!

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
            Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

tmrl we doing hi start again.....so bring her along

Comment

Confirm doing hi start?! francis coming ?

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
                Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

Ken I already maidened it yesterday.

Sorry tmr most likely cannot join. I have other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon bai View Post
                    tmrl we doing hi start again.....so bring her along
                    Haiz.. Transport limitations only...

Comment

Originally posted by Cycross View Post
                      Ken I already maidened it yesterday.

Sorry tmr most likely cannot join. I have other plans.
                      wah so fast.. where?!

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
                      Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

Looking Good...I am inpressed by your buiding skill. Cant wait to see it in the Air..where it belongs.

Wind..wind..where are you!

time to do wind dance again.

cheers

Comment

Very nice build, Jeremy. Glad that you are getting good results with the setup.

Comment

Vortices thanks, we are all looking forward to consistent northerly winds ain't we?

Joe, when you gonna go thermalling, drop me a PM~! At least now I got a suitable glider to tag along with.

Comment

Originally posted by madflurry View Post
                              wah so fast.. where?!
                              I just went downstairs, setup at the void-deck and walk across the small road. You know how it is at my place

Comment

Working...
                              X