Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New RC Pilot here!

Hi all,

After talking to art, who seems to be a focused guy, but is really a nice guy, I have decide to extend a BIG HELLO to all you gurus out there.

I recently bought a Thunder Tiger Super Cub set from rotor and managed to build it up without much of a problem in 2 hours. Being inexperienced and stupid, I flew my plane alone without an experienced pilot around. I actually didn't do anything too stupid as I managed to fly a few circuits and landed without too much of an event. I couldn't take-off from the ground, but was easy with a hand launch. Guess trawling through RCgroups helped tons; along with the occasional youtube video of new pilots!

A question for you all: My rudder throw is 1cm in either direction, and elevator throw 0.5cm. This is in accordance to the manual. Art suggested that it might not be right, but I want to hear your opinions also. Btw, my radio is a 4ch, non-computerized one, so no using of different rates.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby..

I am quite new to this myself. I think the throw itself doesn't really tell much as it also depends on the area of the control surfaces. Best thing you can do is going down to a regular flying field and ask people to look at it or test flight for you. Most of us will be more than happy to do so.

So where do you fly? I'm at Tampines Ave 5, Opp IKEA. do drop by if its near your place. See ya around.

Comment

Originally posted by rylche View Post
      Hi all,

Being inexperienced and stupid, I flew my plane alone without an experienced pilot around. I actually didn't do anything too stupid as I managed to fly a few circuits and landed without too much of an event.
      Hello there! Well you can't be that inexperienced and stupid if you managed to fly a few circuits and managed to land!
      There's no hard and fast way to determine the optimal rates. Normally beginners use low rates (clip clevis to bottom servo hole) but as they get better they use higher rates which means greater travel. Do note that across a certain point, putting in more travel does not enhance the aircraft maneuverability that much, so hence I would assume its the maximum. These are according to my observations, though.

The TTSC is meant to be a trainer, so you'll not have that much travel and maneuverability compared to other aircraft.
      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hey TS, which field are you flying at in Yishun?

Comment

Originally posted by rylche View Post
          I managed to fly a few circuits and landed without too much of an event. I couldn't take-off from the ground, but was easy with a hand launch.
          It's good proof that the recommended throws are good enough!

Welcome to the hobby!

Comment

Ammo's right. You're good enough to fly circuits on your own and land is a feat itself. Anyhoo, just to give u a rough idea, the more throws u have, the more responsive/twitchy your plane is, if you feel that you push the stick till the end and the plane is not very responsive, give more throw, or if you have sensitive thumb n fingers, small input made your plane turn unexpectedly, then go for less throw.

A good TX (computer radio) will have all these functions at your finger tip without touching the servo horns. They are generally called, Dual Rates & exponential. Dual rates, you can control the amount of throw from all your servos while exponential helps you in the sensitive finger/thumb area. Hope that helps.

Cheers!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi guys. Much thanks for the great welcome! Maybe it's due to the tons of flight simulators I play. But flying a "real" plane is by far very different from a RC plane, as the POV is different.

@tootyful: I fly at a field outside my house, at ave 7, which is opposite blk 175, which is approximately 1.2km x 500m. It's not a huge, clear field, with a drain intersecting roughly halfway through the length of the field ( 1.2km ), but that wasn't a huge problem as I just landed on the other side.

Once again, much thanks!

Comment

you can get a very cheap usb RC Transmitter for use with a free RC Simulator - FMS. Easily available on many websites. Helps a lot for pilot orientation training.

Do you use a prop saver with your plane? Will help to save your props if something goes wrong, 'touch wood' .

I lose props in ways I didn't know is possible. Like landing in tall grass, those thin GWS props can get tiny cracks when it whack the grass .
                Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
                Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

yes i agree with jack that getting a simulator is a good thing as it will help bolster your confidence when you fly the actual thing.

however, i do not quite agree with the usage of fms...partly becuz i have used other better products, thus they are actually more realistic. but ultimately is whether you are willing to spend! i recommend the realflight g4 simulator cuz i personally use it, and it works!

most importantly is enjoy the hobby =)

Comment

Yeap! My tx and rx set came with the USB thing, so I have spent some hours in simulator working things out before my "virgin" flight. ( I think it's called maiden flight around here? )

Loving this hobby especially much, with much help from DH members! Are any of you guys flying around the north? I have a PM from one member who is very nice to have informed me about his flying field in Wdlands. Thanks mate!

Comment

im from sembawang.
                      Plane 1:
                      FreeWing F-15
                      Stock and modded with speed brake mod

Plane 2:
                      GWS Blue Angels C-130 (EDF)
                      Stock and modded with cargo doors

Control System:Futaba 9CHP 72MHZ

Comment

Working...
                      X