Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much thrust is needed for 3D?

Got a noob question... Really need the help...

How much thrust is needed for electric 3D flying(including hovering followed immediately by fast vertical climb) if my plane's total weight including lipo is about 620grams?

Thanks in advance.

oh forgot to mention... the plane is a balsa Edge 540 with 36 inch wingspan

Comment

Hi Lplate,

Usually for 3D flying, aim for a 2/2.5:1 power to weight ratio. So to be precise you'll need exactly 1240g of thrust (of course not exactly, but you get the idea ) This will give you comfortable pull out from a hover

Another way I try to get good thrust for my 3d planes is the 200w/lb (or close to it) "rule". So far it has worked for me.

All this said, prop choices contributes to the performance of the plane too.

Also, try to keep your plane's weight to a minimum. A low wingloading helps your plane to slow down to a crawl and give you more time to react. Keep to the plane's given specs and it should come out ok. There must be some specific wing loading/ cubic loading numbers somewhere at RCG's 3D section, but I'm not one for specific details and I just try to keep my plane light for best performance.

One of the best way to go about all these choices are to look out for threads at forums and see what these people have been using. It keeps your choices more streamlined and gives you less headaches in the long run.

Ok enough of my ramblings, anymore input anyone?

Cheers,
      Adnan
      Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
      ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
      Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

I aim for 1.5:1 ratio normally for 48inch and above.

High power is good but do take note for balsa plane (bigger ones), you run the risk of damaging your plane in the air quite easily if you have higher than 1.5:1 ratio. A simple well executed snap roll can snap the plane easily, go easy on the throttle and dun get spoilt by the power.

For your plane size of 36 inch, I think you should concentrate more on keepin it light than beefing its power. Bigger size easier to take weight penalty going the power beefing up route.
        Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Wow... lots of useful info that I'm hearing for the first time. Thanks guys!!

Actually I don't have a balsa plane yet... But really like their scale looks.
          Was planning to buy a 36 inch wingspan Edge G2 from hobby city dot com but at the same time not sure.

If I intend to use my 2200mah 3s lipos...
          Is there a suitable good value(budget up to $150), strong, easy to fly and capable(phew) balsa 3D aerobatic plane you'd recommend?

Or am I asking for too much?

Comment

Bigger is better.

I love small 30ish inches wingspan 3D plane (Portability and storage consideration) ...but the bigger ones fly better ! they have more presence in the air and on the ground, handle windy days better and execute 3D maneuvers better.

btw ...my 44" 9ik 55 just arrived :http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...C_ARF_44.4inch

Cost including postage less than S$150.
            Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
              I love small 30ish inches wingspan 3D plane (Portability and storage consideration) ...but the bigger ones fly better ! they have more presence in the air and on the ground, handle windy days better and execute 3D maneuvers better.

btw ...my 44" 9ik 55 just arrived :http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...C_ARF_44.4inch

Cost including postage less than S$150.
              I really like the look of the "bubble" cockpit and rounded rudders. You don't see much of that nowadays, with the more popular Yak 54 everywhere.

Can't wait to see it in the air. Sorry for the OT.

Cheers,
              Adnan
              ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
                I really like the look of the "bubble" cockpit and rounded rudders. You don't see much of that nowadays, with the more popular Yak 54 everywhere.

Cheers,
                Adnan
                I agree the cockpit is nice but I'm not into the retro looking cowling. Prefer the modern looking Edge or Extra design.

I think one of the most beautiful planes is from Hangar9, the Sundowner

Check out the cowling area. Looks like a sports car. But think its more a racer than a 3d plane. Real pity...

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post

Cheers,
                  Adnan
                  Me too ! ...until the maiden, here's some quickie teasers

Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Schweet, I love the detailing on the cowl.

Cheers,
                    Adnan

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X