Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to jets need help...

My kakis wanted to start flying parkflyer jets. But due to budget constraint, i've decided to diy a plane based on a thread in rcgroups. I have totally never fly a jet of any kind before therefore all advice and guidance will be really much appreciated.
    I have finished building a kit. Whats left is for me to fix the motor mount, control horns , electronics and some cosmetic touch ups. I have a 25A esc lying around and couples of towerpro 9g servo which i intend to use. The wingspan is about 80cm and the length is about 70cm. Some questions i wanna ask is :

1. A motor of how many kv should i use for jets?
    2. What type of prop and prop size to go with it?
    3. Is my 25A esc sufficient or how many Amp do i at least need?
    4. Where is the cg suppose to be located for this plane?
    5. Will the elevon be sufficient to maneuver this plane?
    6. Any modification needed to improve this plane's flying characteristic?

Basically this plane will be a training jet plane for me (including dog-fighting and bashing once i master the controls... hehehe). Will need it to be able have a fast and slow flight as well. Thanking in advance for all helps and advice given...

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
    sigpic

Is this your first plane?

Since this is your own design and something different, guess no one can give you the exact answer. You can refer to the design that you have based on for info, most of your question will be answer there. From there you make adjustment when you fly your plane.

Here’s my input,
    1. guessing that the all up weight to be less than 800g, any motor that can provide that amount of thrust. High Kv with small propeller for speed, low Kv with big propeller for thrust.
    2. see above. APC, GWS, etc. any electric prop will do
    3. enough for most of your requirements
    4. refer to the based model
    5. looks enough
    6. don’t know yet until you have fly it

Hope it help

From the look, it may not be easy to fly. Do post the link to your based model for info.
    Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem View Post
      My kakis wanted to start flying parkflyer jets. But due to budget constraint, i've decided to diy a plane based on a thread in rcgroups. I have totally never fly a jet of any kind before therefore all advice and guidance will be really much appreciated.
      I have finished building a kit. Whats left is for me to fix the motor mount, control horns , electronics and some cosmetic touch ups. I have a 25A esc lying around and couples of towerpro 9g servo which i intend to use. The wingspan is about 80cm and the length is about 70cm. Some questions i wanna ask is :

1. A motor of how many kv should i use for jets?
      Normally about 1500 kv to 3000 kv. This one seems quite good.

2. What type of prop and prop size to go with it?
      1500 - 2000kv = 7 inch
      2000 - 2400 = 6 inch / 5 inch
      >2400 = 4.7 inch

3. Is my 25A esc sufficient or how many Amp do i at least need?
      25A is ok.

4. Where is the cg suppose to be located for this plane?
      Don't know. Go and find out! lol.

5. Will the elevon be sufficient to maneuver this plane?
      Probably yes. I think I've seen video of this plane flying before.

6. Any modification needed to improve this plane's flying characteristic?
      Don't know.

Basically this plane will be a training jet plane for me (including dog-fighting and bashing once i master the controls... hehehe). Will need it to be able have a fast and slow flight as well. Thanking in advance for all helps and advice given...
      The lighter it is, the slower it gets. But it's depron, so it can't be THAT heavy.

Recommend battery - 3 cell 1000 mah.

But Vincopter - you have built the mugi jet before, you should know these things right?
      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Whoops, sorry, I thought vincopter was the one asking for advice. Actually it is romihensen.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
          Is this your first plane?

Since this is your own design and something different, guess no one can give you the exact answer. You can refer to the design that you have based on for info, most of your question will be answer there. From there you make adjustment when you fly your plane.

Here’s my input,
          1. guessing that the all up weight to be less than 800g, any motor that can provide that amount of thrust. High Kv with small propeller for speed, low Kv with big propeller for thrust.
          2. see above. APC, GWS, etc. any electric prop will do
          3. enough for most of your requirements
          4. refer to the based model
          5. looks enough
          6. don’t know yet until you have fly it

Hope it help

From the look, it may not be easy to fly. Do post the link to your based model for info.
          heres the link to the model but with some modifications made to the fuse. thanx for the input for. maybe i'll some the experts to maiden it for me first before i fly... hehehe

sigpic

Comment

heres the link to the model but with some modifications made to the fuse. thanx for the input for. maybe i'll some the experts to maiden it for me first before i fly... hehehe

http://www.rcplans.nl/catalog/produc...products_id=40
            Click on the build thread, there're lots of info.

Do post pictures of the progress
            Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

hmmm

just now was trying to locate the cg for this plane with my mentor. this is just the bare kit without electronics or lingkages. After much trial and error, we tape bout 21 g of weight to the front of the fuse it to achieve the most appropriate cg. we hand lauched it and man is this lady a floater. it fly for about 15 metres from where we r standing. amazing thing is it flew and landed without a twitch and landing was such a beauty on its belly.i really cant wait to fix up everything and get it flying... hehehe

sigpic

Comment

hmmm

update. maidened my harpycat last sun. flew gracefully but 1 problem is the motor. my setup is as follows :
                2400kv with apc 5x5
                towerpro 40A esc
                towerpro 9g servos x 2
                11.1V 2200mah 16C

the motor has a problem therefore i did not have quite an enjoyable flight. i trying a new setup. but she really flies nicely for about 2-3mins before the motor starts giving me problem. now while awaiting for a new motor, i have decided to give it some cosmetic. will update later with videos...

i'm trying a new setup. 1400kv with 8x6 prop. will it be ok with this setup? my flying style is not "need for speed" type. i'm more of a scale flyer. so i prefer slower flight but with more torque...

sigpic

Comment

update. maidened my harpycat last sun. flew gracefully but 1 problem is the motor. my setup is as follows :
                  2400kv with apc 5x5
                  towerpro 40A esc
                  towerpro 9g servos x 2
                  11.1V 2200mah 16C

the motor has a problem therefore i did not have quite an enjoyable flight. i trying a new setup. but she really flies nicely for about 2-3mins before the motor starts giving me problem. now while awaiting for a new motor, i have decided to give it some cosmetic. will update later with videos...

i'm trying a new setup. 1400kv with 8x6 prop. will it be ok with this setup? my flying style is not "need for speed" type. i'm more of a scale flyer. so i prefer slower flight but with more torque...
                  OMG if u could built a plane that i want to try to fulfill my childhood dream design my own plane....!!
                  «Kira'sHanger™®»:
                  HK450MT ( awaiting elecs)

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by kiratime View Post
                    OMG if u could built a plane that i want to try to fulfill my childhood dream design my own plane....!!
                    bro actually its quite easy if u have the plan. first i thought it was difficult too until i try it out myself. u should have a try too. nothing is more satisfied than flying a diy plane. heheheh but of course it has to fly well too. hehehhe

sigpic

Comment

DIY plane

Bro. Saw you flying your DIY creation. It was really entertaining to see how smooth it flies. My sons likes it too, especially the color.

Comment

hmmm

is it? why didnt approach us bro. did u manage to see the missile being fired also? but discover just now that the missile is too light and wasnt able to fight the wind well. have just made some modification to it and hopefully it will fire well now. cant wait for next sun. be there too bro. can ff together... hehehe

sigpic

Comment

hmmm

heres a short vid after mod done to my missile. btw sorry for bad vid quality. was taken by my phone cam. and sorry again for showing my muscular body. hehehe...

sigpic

Comment

wow!how did u do that?
                            Plane 1:
                            FreeWing F-15
                            Stock and modded with speed brake mod

Plane 2:
                            GWS Blue Angels C-130 (EDF)
                            Stock and modded with cargo doors

Control System:Futaba 9CHP 72MHZ

Comment

heres a short vid after mod done to my missile. btw sorry for bad vid quality. was taken by my phone cam. and sorry again for showing my muscular body. hehehe...
                              Nice job... do take into consideration the recoil of the missile stall your plane while in flight. Maybe fire it while in a dive. Some years ago(before rocket is band in SG) i did it to my RC car using esc and foam cutting wire to ignite the rockets.
                              sigpic
                              FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Working...
                              X