Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice needed: monokote covering repair.

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice needed: monokote covering repair.

i have a calmato sports. the covering at the engine area is coming off as it has lost its adhesion due to the oil from the engine. i have tried using an iron to stick it back but was to no avail. can i just use epoxy to glue it back? or is there any other less messy way to do the same job? thanks!
    Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Originally posted by pixeldixel View Post
    i have a calmato sports. the covering at the engine area is coming off as it has lost its adhesion due to the oil from the engine. i have tried using an iron to stick it back but was to no avail. can i just use epoxy to glue it back? or is there any other less messy way to do the same job? thanks!

No, epoxy won't do any good. You must try to dry up the area as much as possible, then seal it up with specially formulated fuelproofer like the 'Clearcoat' from Solarfilm or 'Balsarite' from Coverite. Only after drying then you can iron back the loose film.

Also, after doing so, paint the seams and edges of the film around the firewall with the same stuff again to really seal up the area.

Comment

Yup ! ...I'm for Joe's method ...just to add, brush thinner heavily on the wood, dripping away from the most oil soaked part of the model to remove as much of the castor oil as possible before setting it aside to dry (Make sure your thinner does not attack the covering gel material first)
      Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

aight thanks Joe and Ghostfit. thats what i will do in that case. always thought epoxy can glue anything. i always thought that "there's nothing epoxy can not fix." apparently im wrong.
        Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

Originally posted by pixeldixel View Post
          aight thanks Joe and Ghostfit. thats what i will do in that case. always thought epoxy can glue anything. i always thought that "there's nothing epoxy can not fix." apparently im wrong.
          Epoxy, like any other glue, needs a clean surface to attach itself upon when it cures (hardens). If there is any substance eg. oil or wax that will prevent good adhesion, it'll just peel off later.
          To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

To augment the use of solvents like thinners etc to remove the oil, I've used talcum powder/baking soda. Dust it liberally after applying thinner, press it into crevices etc and leave a while to soak up the oil/thinner. Then brush away or apply a blast of air from a spray gun compressor to get rid of the talc. Seems to help get rid of oil residue in hard to reach places like cracks and crevices.
            To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
            X