Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Buttercup (AGAIN??!!)

I have already been toying with building a smaller version of my already shrunken Electric Buttercup. I came across 2 mini outrunner brushless motors which reinforce my idea. However, I hesitate to build any size near 30" wingspan as it'll not be any significant reduction in size. Brushless motors themselves are very powerful for thier size and those available models are not feasible to build a really small model.

Then, I remembered I came across the GWS EDP-50XC (direct drive IPS motor) set at Rotor hobby and also later found the GWS ESC100Li sitting in JH. Plus that I already own a micro size Blue Arrow Rx and some AT-33 sub-micro servos. All these spell the perfect recipe for a micro Buttercup.

So I redrew the plans which the wingspan tipped at 20.75". Some structural members are omitted from the original plans since the model this size would have sufficient strength to go without them. The entire model is built mainly from 3/32" balsa sticks with some 1/32",1/20" and 1/16" balsa here and there. The firewall and bulkhead is made up from 1/64" plywood faced with 1/16" balsa sheet. The model is covered with Coverite CoverLite, which is equivalant to Litespan from Solarfilm. The covering does not have its own adhesive and the balsa frame has to be painted with Coverite Balsarite on edges where the covering is supposed to stick on the frame. To save space and weight, the motor and ESC wires are shortened by cutting away the excess and resoldered to each other.

I originally planned to use my TP 2S 350mah pack but quickly found out that it will not quite fit into the cramp fuselage. I bought some 185mah single Lipo cells from JH and soldered them into 2 sets of 2S packs, which fit very nicely under the wing. Although flight duration is compromised, the little motor only draw under 2 amps and this packs should supply at least 5-6 minutes of flight time. Pretty comfortable.

These are the vital specs;
    Wingspan : 20.75"
    Wingarea : ~ 74sqin
    AUW : 4oz
    Wingloading : ~ 7.78oz/sqft
    Motor : GWEDP-50XC
    Prop : GWS 3x2
    ESC : GWESC-100Li
    Battery : 2S 185mah Lipo
    Rx : Blue Arrow R3P5
    Servo : AT-33 (02off)

As soon as the last Lipo pack is soldered up, I packed up everything and headed to the field. I realised that the CG was a little too far aft from the pre-determined position and added a small lead under the cowl before going any further. With the battery connected up and functional check done, I chucked it into the air. I was a little sceptical about the power produced by the tiny motor and I only expected the model to be quite tame. I was wrong. The moment it left my hand with full throttle, it climb away aggressively and I quickly retarded the throttle a little and started it trim out the flight controls.

By comparison, this model is much faster for its size, compared to its bigger brother. It is also more twitchy but yet still manageable. The rudder is even more effective than the bigger brother and it was rolling and looping away during the 4-5 minutes of my timed flight. I also encountered some glitches coming from controls from time to time, but relatively minor cases.

I'm quite happy with the result. Afterall, I only bought the materials and started building on last Saturday. Only 2 days later, it has maidened. Easily one of my fastest build.

Comment

These pictures should give you a better idea about its size. Also the last picture shows the little battery pack I made along with a FP 3S 5000mah pack.

Comment

Yeap, it looks much better with the windows painted on.

Comment

Nice Job!

Hi Joe,

That's a realy nice job!

Now that I'm back in this hobby again, I have been thinking of building planes like the rubber-powered ones I did years ago. Most planes I see these days are 'planked' jobs, which I feel could be lightened if stick-frame construction was employed.

Your project has given me confidence to go ahead with my ideas for stick-frames. Besides, I've always liked the look open frames. It's like works of art!

Also, many of our large flying fields are 'borrowed' space, and may one day be developed. If we are left with only small fields, planes of your size may be the best choice for flying in confined spaces.

BTW, what's the average turning radius of your small Buttercup? Also, where in S'pore did you find the CoveLite and Balsarite? I believe this covering system is ideally suited for small projects.

Thanks for sharing

Pete
          ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Hey Joe, I can sense the effect of your little one have on you!
            I think there may be more coming.....either more cute planes, or babies.

Keep it up.

Comment

Hi Joe;

I can see it is a stick construction.

If we only use stick construction - must we necessarily use the stick-on film instead of the iron-on shrinking film?

2nd thing; I have the plans for the 27" one, meant for a small nitro engine. It uses plank construction.

Should I convert to stick construction instead?
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
                Hi Joe;

I can see it is a stick construction.

If we only use stick construction - must we necessarily use the stick-on film instead of the iron-on shrinking film?

2nd thing; I have the plans for the 27" one, meant for a small nitro engine. It uses plank construction.

Should I convert to stick construction instead?
                You can use all types of covering, just make sure they are light enough. Also, avoid sticking the film onto the trusses. They should just stick onto the edges of the framework..

With the arrival of Lipo, the airframe weight is already greatly reduced, and as long as you do not add on any additional weight, it's okay to have fully sheeted fuselage. Some folks already did that on thier electric Buttercups. Only thing is that built-up fuselage somehow seems to have more character.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafter View Post
                  Hi Joe,

That's a realy nice job!

Now that I'm back in this hobby again, I have been thinking of building planes like the rubber-powered ones I did years ago. Most planes I see these days are 'planked' jobs, which I feel could be lightened if stick-frame construction was employed.

Your project has given me confidence to go ahead with my ideas for stick-frames. Besides, I've always liked the look open frames. It's like works of art!

Also, many of our large flying fields are 'borrowed' space, and may one day be developed. If we are left with only small fields, planes of your size may be the best choice for flying in confined spaces.

BTW, what's the average turning radius of your small Buttercup? Also, where in S'pore did you find the CoveLite and Balsarite? I believe this covering system is ideally suited for small projects.

Thanks for sharing

Pete
                  Turning radius? I can't be too sure but I can fly it within around 10 cubic metre of airspace, in calm conditions. However, the model is rather quick and I'll prefer to fly it in spaces like an indoor MPH.

You can get the stuff from NTC.

Comment

What size sticks?

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the material source. BTW have you tried using the traditional 'tissue' covering? Yeah I know, it's more fragile, but very light also.

BTW, what's the size of the 'sticks' in your airframe, 1/16", 3/32", 1/8" square? Just curious in case I try out a small stick-airframe too.

Did you buy the Buttercup plans, or did you download it free from somewhere?

Thanks.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Crafter View Post
                      Hi Joe,

Thanks for the material source. BTW have you tried using the traditional 'tissue' covering? Yeah I know, it's more fragile, but very light also.

BTW, what's the size of the 'sticks' in your airframe, 1/16", 3/32", 1/8" square? Just curious in case I try out a small stick-airframe too.

Did you buy the Buttercup plans, or did you download it free from somewhere?

Thanks.

Pete
                      I'd used tissue covering on solid surfaces, not yet on open structure like this. I still prefer the Litespan as it is totally water and fuelproof.

I used 3/32" square stick for this little one. The bigger ones have 1/8" balsa sticks instead.

I scanned the outlines of the plan preview from magazine and re-draw the plans for my own specifications. None of my models are from the original design.

Comment

Interior view?

Hi Joe,

This mini plane subject is still very fascinating to me.

You think it's possible to post a few photos of the interior of this Buttercup through the wing opening? I'm interested to see how you cramped all the R/C gear in, and also the battery mounting.

thanks for considering.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                          Yeap, it looks much better with the windows painted on.
                          Hi.JoeYap. Considering with your hectic work load and looking after your beautiful girl I selute you on the job man. It's fantastic.Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                          X