Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edited

Originally posted by etman View Post
    Thanks Tony for your helpful advice. I will take note.
    I'm contacting this company which have Ronseal products to see if they have the Ronseal Quickdrying Varnish (Gloss/Satin/Matt). Found on Greenbook.

Dayspring Marketing Pte Ltd
    Add: 8 Kaki Bt Rd 2 #03-22 Ruby Warehouse Complex
    Tel: ( 65 )67437913
    Fax: ( 65 )67479890
    'daysprin@pacific.net.sg'
    Edited the Ronseal product name.

Comment

Edited the Ronseal product name.
      They have the product.
      S$45 for 750 ml of Ronseal Quickdry Varnish (Gloss/Satin/Matt).
      S$128 for 2.5 L of Ronseal Quickdry Varnish (Gloss/Satin/Matt).
      (10% discount for above S$400 order.)

Looks like expensive.
      Is this the same price as in the Homefix shops?
      Now many ml is enough to fully glass a GWS Formosa II?

Comment

Originally posted by Nexxster View Post
        Sorry for the late reply. Bought the varnish at Home Fix at Great World City. The small tin costs about $25, and the large tin costs about $45. Make sure you get the water based one. The exact name is Ronseal Quick Drying Varnish, and if you look on the warning on the back, you will see that it has a LOW Volatile Organic Compounds rating. The solvent based one has a HIGH VOC rating. The varnish comes in Gloss, Satin and Matt. I mainly use Satin, but it's really your preference. Let me know how it goes!
        Hi Nexxster, how many ml is the small and large tin?
        I want to calculate which is more value.

Comment

Hi Nexxster, how many ml is the small and large tin?
          I want to calculate which is more value.
          Ok nevermind, I got it from the datasheet. It comes in 250 ml, 750 ml and 2.5 L.
          250 ml -> S$25 -> S$100 per litre
          750 ml -> S$45 -> S$133.33 per litre
          2.5 L -> S$128 -> S$51.20 per litre

It works out that if you can buy the large tin or share it with others you can save cost. However there is a shelf life for these kind of products. Datasheet says 2 years, but once you open it, it will be shorter life.
          Anyone interested?

Comment

Ok nevermind, I got it from the datasheet. It comes in 250 ml, 750 ml and 2.5 L.
            250 ml -> S$25 -> S$100 per litre
            750 ml -> S$45 -> S$60 per litre
            2.5 L -> S$128 -> S$51.20 per litre

It works out that if you can buy the large tin or share it with others you can save cost. However there is a shelf life for these kind of products. Datasheet says 2 years, but once you open it, it will be shorter life.
            Anyone interested?
            Sorry calculation error.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu View Post
              Its $10 for the bottle, can use for ~2 gws planes. Thats with a few coats. Not sure about the name, wish i knew. Will let you'll know asap.
              At S$10 for 250 ml -> S$40 per litre
              That's way cheaper than the Ronseal product.
              Is it still available? I'll go check it out.

250 ml can use for 2 GWS planes?

Comment

Thanks Tony for your helpful advice. I will take note.
                I'm contacting this company which have Ronseal products to see if they have the Ronseal Diamondhard Varnish. '
                Yup, the Diamondhard Varnish is the one I am using. Used it to glass the whole of my MK Silent 50 (see thread somewhere else in this forum). Remember now, do a couple of very dry coats first and let it cure thoroughly. Once cured, you can carry on with the rest of the glassing process. Otherwise, balsa wood will act like a sponge in absorbing the WBP and you will end up with a flying(?) brick. Of course, this does not apply to foam.

Have to agree that the selling price for WBP is incredibly expensive in Singapore. But what to do lah
                Last edited by Tony; 26-03-2009, 11:04 PM.
                To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                  Yup, the Diamondhard Varnish is the one I am using. Used it to glass the whole of my MK Silent 50 (see thread somewhere else in this forum). Remember now, do a couple of very dry coats first and let it cure thoroughly. Once cured, you can carry on with the rest of the glassing process. Otherwise, balsa wood will act like a sponge in absorbing the WBP and you will end up with a flying(?) brick. Of course, this does not apply to foam.

Have to agree that the selling price for WBP is incredibly expensive in Singapore. But what to do lah
                  Ok, so you have used Ronseal Diamondhard for glassing your balsa planes.
                  It is actually more expensive than the Ronseal Quickdrying.

<>
                  Ronseal Diamondhard
                  S$66 for 750 ml -> S$88 per litre
                  S$164 for 2.5 L -> S$65.50 per litre

I guess the Quickdrying is a lighter duty one and suitable for foamy.

A GWS plane only cost around S$50. Maybe not worth the money if it costs so much to glass it. Maybe I only buy a small tin of Ronseal Quickdrying and glass the cowling, leading edges, belly, those easily damaged areas. But then I cannot save by buying cheap spray paints. Dunno lah...

Comment

I guess the Quickdrying is a lighter duty one and suitable for foamy.
                    I can't say whether the Diamondhard has superior qualities to the Quickdrying version. I've used both and they seem to me to be the same. But then, I did not go out of my way to do an actual test comparison. I bought the Diamondhard simply because I've heard of it being used by people in other forums but mostly because it just happened to be the first WBP I saw sitting on the shelf when I went to the hardware shop to get a new tin. They both work.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      I can't say whether the Diamondhard has superior qualities to the Quickdrying version. I've used both and they seem to me to be the same. But then, I did not go out of my way to do an actual test comparison. I bought the Diamondhard simply because I've heard of it being used by people in other forums but mostly because it just happened to be the first WBP I saw sitting on the shelf when I went to the hardware shop to get a new tin. They both work.

Ok, I agree, whatever works is good.

For those interested I compared the datasheets...

<>
                      1. Difference is Diamondhard is meant for floor and therefore stronger than Quickdrying. It may not be a difference when applied to RC planes.
                      2. Diamondhard is medium VOC, quickdrying is low VOC. i.e. more solvent, longer time to dry.
                      3. Both of them will dry translucent. Non-yellowing.
                      4. Also Diamondhard does not come in 250 ml.

Comment

For the benefit of those interested.
                        The Global Colours Professional Binder 1L @ S$39.60 and 250 ml @S$12.50 is available at Saga City, Bras Basah.
                        Today I bought a 1L bottle.

Thanks Matheiu for this thread! I will try glassing my Formosa II and then paint it using cheapo S$4 spray cans. I'll only glass the heavy traffic and impact areas and fully coat the whole plane with the binder.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I just glassed my plane last night with Z-POXY FINISHING RESIN and a brush.

Now my brush has become harden. Any idea how to soften and remove all the harden Z-POXY FINISHING RESIN on the brush? The brush is now like a hard stone which is unusable. Thanks.

Comment

Please note that Ronseal Diamondhard comes in two versions - the quick dry version is a water based polyurethane. I've read that it is not fuel proof. I've used it for fiberglass skinning on nitro planes with no problems but then I had several automobile colour coats followed by a final two part clear coat (which is fuel proof).

The regular Diamondhard (not quick dry version) is mineral based and is supposed to be fuel proof.

Confucius

Comment

Just a point to note - not all resins are created equal. From my experience, Z-poxy finishing resin is pretty good for fiberglassing but quite expensive. Seems to work better with a few drops of IPA (iso propyle alcohol) added. I've used West Systems epoxy resin and it is really good stuff......but very expensive. More recently, I got a big can of industrial finishing resin. Jury is still out on that one as I haven't tested it yet.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X