Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMpro Magpie 50

Maiden my Magpie over the weekend at Ave 5. Kind of disappointed in the takeoff and landing.

The takeoff was very long. Not sure if by adding some flaps will help shorten the takeoff? Any suggestion on how much down flaps I can use?

The landing is very hot. Even with throttle at lowest idle possible the planes come is really hot. Again would having some down flaps still helps in the approach and if so, how much flaps? The other part due to the higher touch down speed, I had the engine dragging the ground. This cause sand and grass getting into the cab and fins.

The flight itself is very good. Really fast, roll is awesome, very straight in it's flight path.

PS
    I am using OS 55ax on 12x7 and 12x6 prop. My AUW is 2.75kg.

I think thats called flaperons. Ive never flew the magpie before but the flaperons doesnt work to help on the landing approach on all planes. On some planes, it will just descent quite rapidly and on other planes, it will provide some kind of "ballonning" effect. Its not really like the functional flaps. I always flip the flaperons only wen my tyres just touches the ground.

Comment

Mate, check you CG. Could be too nose heavy. Not flown a magpie but the realised that the CG for the Quest 50 was wrong based on the manuel. Checked RC Universe and was lucky enough to have seen a thread on the appropriate CG that worked really fine. Besides, you might have a better performance with a 13 X 6 with the OS 55. Just a few cents worth. Good Luck!

Flaperons in principal works the same way as flaps. Ailerons effectiveness can be reduced depending on the deflection angle. There is increased drag and the stall speed is reduced. Got be careful especially during go-arounds and base to final leg. Throttle slightly more than idle helps. Besides, you got to use elevator mix to minimise the excessive nose-up attitude. If possible use dedicated flaps if your plane is equipped with them. That's all.

Originally posted by chiadennis
      Maiden my Magpie over the weekend at Ave 5. Kind of disappointed in the takeoff and landing.

The takeoff was very long. Not sure if by adding some flaps will help shorten the takeoff? Any suggestion on how much down flaps I can use?

The landing is very hot. Even with throttle at lowest idle possible the planes come is really hot. Again would having some down flaps still helps in the approach and if so, how much flaps? The other part due to the higher touch down speed, I had the engine dragging the ground. This cause sand and grass getting into the cab and fins.

The flight itself is very good. Really fast, roll is awesome, very straight in it's flight path.

PS
      I am using OS 55ax on 12x7 and 12x6 prop. My AUW is 2.75kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Moth
        Mate, check you CG. Could be too nose heavy. Not flown a magpie but the realised that the CG for the Quest 50 was wrong based on the manuel. Checked RC Universe and was lucky enough to have seen a thread on the appropriate CG that worked really fine. Besides, you might have a better performance with a 13 X 6 with the OS 55. Just a few cents worth. Good Luck!
        The CG given in the manual is quite wide. Range from 95mm to 130mm. I have set mine to 120mm. Invert flight has just touch of down elevator.
        12X6 have lots of airspeed it damn fast. Don't know how 13 size will be like? I am thinking of increase the wheel size hopefully it will increase some angle of attack.

Comment

Dennis,

You might wanna try re-CG the plane. Make it a little tail heavy. Pump full tank and CG it, by doing this it will turn out a little tail heavy after a couple minutes of flight. Landing will be less hot.

My 2cents
          sigpic
          FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Working...
          X