Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

propellers difference and its functions

can anyone help me on this issue? wats the difference between sport, slow flyer and pusher propeller and wats the functions of each one? i use a 9 x 6 on my extra 330s and it went too fast. i need something that can make my plane hover or fly at slower speed. thanx for helping...

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
    sigpic

refering to apc prop? Sport is the heaviest and strongest, usually use on nitro, higher rpm or larger electric. SF is more for smaller electric plane. Pusher I think is for rear facing motors.

Try something larger with less pitch, e.g. 10x4.7.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem
      can anyone help me on this issue? wats the difference between sport, slow flyer and pusher propeller and wats the functions of each one? i use a 9 x 6 on my extra 330s and it went too fast. i need something that can make my plane hover or fly at slower speed. thanx for helping...
      Sport:
      Tough, strong and heavy. Designed to take the high stress of nitro engines. Poor efficiency on electric motors.

APC SF:
      Lighter than Sport and APC E. Scoop shaped with high under-camber (looks like an elongated spoon), Large paddle area. Good efficiency for low RPM motors (or low lipo cell count) up to about 6000 rpm. Higher than 10000 rpm scoop design causes a lot of drag/vibration even --> Output power decrease but current increases... NOT GOOD

APC E:
      More robust, heavier design, especially at the hub area. Scimitar shaped. Opimised for higher RPM, very suitable for modern high power brushless with higher lipo cell count setup. Not very efficient especially for Lower RPM/less powerful motors, when compared to the SF sometimes draws more current at the same thrust because of heavy weight.

9x6 is suitable for high speed flyers especially if the kV/RPM of motor is high.
      Go for a 9x4.7 or maybe a 10x4.7 for better thrust but lower top speed.

Prop selection is an art on its own takes some experimenting to get to a personal preference.

Many people at the field find it astonishing that I flew my AM acromaster on a 1200kV AXI 2820/20, 13x6.5 APC E with 2-cell 2100mAH lipo. Light and good.

Choice is yours, Have Fun
      Cheers,
      Leon

Comment

Originally posted by leonlio
        Sport:
        Tough, strong and heavy. Designed to take the high stress of nitro engines. Poor efficiency on electric motors.

APC SF:
        Lighter than Sport and APC E. Scoop shaped with high under-camber (looks like an elongated spoon), Large paddle area. Good efficiency for low RPM motors (or low lipo cell count) up to about 6000 rpm. Higher than 10000 rpm scoop design causes a lot of drag/vibration even --> Output power decrease but current increases... NOT GOOD

APC E:
        More robust, heavier design, especially at the hub area. Scimitar shaped. Opimised for higher RPM, very suitable for modern high power brushless with higher lipo cell count setup. Not very efficient especially for Lower RPM/less powerful motors, when compared to the SF sometimes draws more current at the same thrust because of heavy weight.

9x6 is suitable for high speed flyers especially if the kV/RPM of motor is high.
        Go for a 9x4.7 or maybe a 10x4.7 for better thrust but lower top speed.

Prop selection is an art on its own takes some experimenting to get to a personal preference.

Many people at the field find it astonishing that I flew my AM acromaster on a 1200kV AXI 2820/20, 13x6.5 APC E with 2-cell 2100mAH lipo. Light and good.

Choice is yours, Have Fun
        Cheers,
        Leon

Is that why they call you the 2-S man?

Comment

about pusher props

When the motor is mount pointing backwards (aka pusher mount) the counter-clockwise chaft spin becomes clockwise direction. To push air backwards the pitch (twist) of the prop has to be in opposite of the regular prop.

There you have it, a pusher prop. Used to be important in the nitro past, but now the direction of spin can be easily reversed just by swaping wires, a regular prop can be used both for pusher or tractor mounted motor.

Having said that, pusher can still be useful as a pair together with regular prop to set up cool contra-rotating twin-engine planes (eg. P-38, C-47) to cancel out touque twist effect found in single-engined planes.

Comment

Working...
          X