Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerial Photo Project Building Thread

Now that I have done my beginner plane, acrobatic plane, glider and warbird, I want to try my hands on aerial photography.

Started to scratch build my own UAV - I just bought a Olympus FE230 (105grams, 7.1MP) from ebay costing me £84.

I started with the wings - I think I will do a simple flat bottom wing 1400mm using depron foam and a carbon spar. Will make it as light as possible.

Next with the body - need a compartment for the camera to be mounted. Will make a rectangle body and have the underside covered in clear plastic so that my camera can be mounted inside to shoot.

I have been doing some research on this and there are many people with success on using high-resolution digital cameras for such aerial photo with great results.

Wings completed, fuselage done, dry fitted..... looks ok.

Rather huge 1.4m wing and 1.3m body. Using a AXI 2012/34 motor.

Comment

My Olympus FE230 arrived from the post. Done the camera-bay with the rudder-servo for clicking the shutter button.

Next stage - prepare for maiden!

Comment

Completed at last! Now to the flying field! Look at the size of that glider compared to my Formosa.

It flew beautifully! As the completed weight with camera came in only 550grams, given the wing loading, it literally float in the sky. Super stable and easy to fly. Loading was very easy!

Comment

nicely done..but u cannot post pics of ur aerial shots..

Comment

The Olympus FE230 was set to highest resolution (3072x2304) and shooting scene was 'Landscape' mode. Here are the results.

I'm slightly disappointed with the quality of the pictures, I expected very sharp and clear images. Perhaps it is the morning fog or haze.

I will try different setting and fly again this evening - when the air is clearer.

Comment

eh..never show how u mount ur cam ah?

Comment

I took about 100 photos and flew for 20 minutes at 1/4 throttle, I have a 1700Mah Lipo (after I landed and checked, the voltage each cell was 3.75V - still more juice left!).

Here are more pictures of my flying field. It is a very large cricket field (I can take off using the pitching ground) and besides it a stadium. I live just 2 mins away.

I believe I flew past 1000 feet, I could hardly see the plane, luckily it has long wing span. I think it is hazy up there.

This is really fun!

Comment

aerial shots arent allowed right??

but wow..seriously..nice shots..

the shots doesnt have to be sharp..a lil softening cud make the pictures more soothing.

Comment

Originally posted by deathism
                    eh..never show how u mount ur cam ah?
                    I made a camera compartment that slides into the belly of the fugelage, at the CG of the plane. It is made of balsa and foam sheets. The camera is safely protected and everything is internal - only giveaway is a small hole at the bottom for the lenses to shoot.

Got it? I got no plans lah, just scratch build and along the way, anyway hum-tum - fortunately, it turned out just sweet! No need for any balancing weight.

Comment

aerial shots arent allowed right??

but wow..seriously..nice shots..

the shots doesnt have to be sharp..a lil softening cud make the pictures more soothing.

In London, it's ok. Everyone is improvising and experimenting. That's how creative juices flow. I think Singapore garment keep setting constraints, everyone don't dare to try this and dat. But I understand why the garment wants to control aerial photo in Sgp - but is it really effective? Nowadays, we can get very nice satellite imagery (and very accurate too!) from Google Earth. So, it is a bit of oxy-moron argument.

Comment

ouh ur from london..no wonder.

wow..nice plane u got there..kinda makin me itch for one.

me student so no money..

Comment

ouh ur from london..no wonder.

wow..nice plane u got there..kinda makin me itch for one.

me student so no money..
                          This plane is made with Depron 2mm (wings), balsa and monokote covering (fuselage). Cheap lah. Student can afford. Heh heh....

Comment

can afford the plane..juz that i need a proper tx..might save up for an optic 6..

den can juz get the kit oredi..

all that R/C matters..after getting my driving license (self-funded)..and a DSLR and..oh yea..i still have modifications to do to my guitar.

Comment

Hi Mee Pok Man,

Nice project dude, i've got something along the line too. ;) Anyhoo, the Olympus cam should be fine. Judging by the still pic of ur plane outdoor on the ground ( http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/atta...chmentid=49458 ) and the rest of the aerial pics. I believe the culprit for the fuzzy pics is vibration from the motor. Maybe you'd like to zero throttle and glide 1st before taking a pic?

My 2 cents bro.

cheers!

nixaad
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X