Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 5th Buttercup

Many years ago, when electric parkflyers just started to hit the news and mags, I managed to get an Union S300 size motor/gearbox unit. A wonderful looking parkflyer named the 'Nora' was the talk of the town but fetched a price which is nowhere near what we are getting right now.

Then RCM magazine published a Speed 400 Buttercup parkflyer construction article, which has an equally smart look. I did not have any Speed400 motor and gearbox to go with and so I redesigned it to accept my Union motor unit.

I shrunk the wingspan from 50" to 40" and utilised an old Hitec MOSFET speed controller and a 6 cells 300mah Nicd pack, made up with 2 packs of cordless phone battery. The structure is fully built-up and hardly any sheeted surface and is covered with ultralight Litespan iron-on coverings. The result is astonishing as this bird climbs at 30-40 degrees at full power and the tiny rudder was effective enough to stir a roll if coaxed. In those days, there's hardly any electric plane that'll match it's performance although flight lasted only about 4-5 minutes. I later added 1 more cell to the pack and got even more spritely performances.

When the Nimh cells appears, I got hold of some 600mah GP cells and made some packs, which doubles to duration. The first model eventually crashed when the elevator pushrod buckled after numerous consecutive loops. Although the damage wasn't bad, I decided to build a 2nd model.

The 2nd one flew as well as the first but eventually got into a mid-air with another parkflyer and got one of its wings cleanly sheared off in flight. The model landed softly onto thick grasses and suffered no further damage. I rebuilt another pair of wings and it went into business again. Eventually, I lost interest in it and gave it to my buddy who wanted one very badly.

While I still got some 540 size buggy motors lying around, I built an enlarged version with multiple LEDs that can be flown at night. However, It took up quite some space and I passed it one to another friend of mine.

Some years later, I started to miss the Buttercup and built myself the 4th model, using the same setup, but eventually ventured into Lipo packs. At one flight, the plane climbed vertically to about 70 feet before the wings said bye-bye to the fuselage, sending it plummeting down. Surprisingly, the damages were very minor and I repaired it before giving it to another friend.

Months ago, while I was shopping at our LHS, I noticed that the GWS s300 motor gearbox units are getting cheaper while everybody is battling with each other with brushless motors. I though that there are still a lot of good use to these cheap units and got myself one. The first plane design that came across my mine is the Buttercup again, and right after the Freedom 20 got airborne for the first time, I found myself cutting some balsa again.

This is a picture of the second model.

I dug up some old pictures and found these. The one with the red wing is the first model. The full yellow one is the 4th. The magazine cutout is the plan feature in RCM magazine. I've yet to find the picture of the 540 version.

Comment

The main differences between the 5th model and the earlier ones are the covering, motor and ESC setups. I used Oracover lite transparent white instead for speedier job. The motor/gearbox is from GWS that has different mounting and with Lipo batteries in mind, I selected an Lipo safe ESC.

I ransacked my drawers and found a pair of small wheel pants and it looks very smart with them on. A GWS rubber spinner adds the final touch.

Today, it took it's first flight and it flew very well, but I thought the previous models with the union gearbox provided more power. Nevertheless, it's still powerful enough to do all the nonsense I threw at it. At one point, the prop came loose in flight and I lost power. I landed it but it hit the kerb and tore a chuck of balsa sheet on the fuselage lower surface. Not pretty but very minor. A quick inspection revealed no further damage and the prop nut is re-torqued, spinner re-installed and it took air again. I had fun until the BEC cut-out and it landed a bit awkward, but safetly.

After an hour of restoration, the damage is hardly noticeable and the plane is good for another day of throwing around.

She looks a lot smarter with the spinner and wheel pants on, doesn't she??

Comment

heh..heh..

I must say I am most pleasantly surprise to hear the whining/buzzing sound of an old-fashion brush 300-geared again...

Really transformed me back 2-1/2 years ago when I was an infant in this hobby, and GWS pico cubs and pico tigermoths were my staples R/C diet.

The Buttercup looks cute and seems to give itself a good account both in the air, on the ground and even against the ground (with that stall near the lollipop, a stock E-starter would have broken its back).

Another great Job Joe!

Cheers,
        Leon

Now how about that World War 1 funfly that we talked about yesterday?

Comment

she is sweet .....

what can I say...... another master pc from the master

she must be a sweet and EZ flyer for a Sunday FF

ww1 ff ......

Comment

I'll be glad to join, but have to check my work schedule first. Anyway, I'm going to Beijing this Friday and will be back on Wednesday. Let me know when it is going to happen.

Comment

Aawww.... so cute... can I hug it?
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

If I can get hold of a smaller motor/gearbox unit, I may even design a even smaller version out of Depron.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                  If I can get hold of a smaller motor/gearbox unit, I may even design a even smaller version out of Depron.

Aye joe, prolly try with IPS motors? anyhoo, care to share the plans?
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                    Many years ago, when electric parkflyers just started to hit the news and mags, I managed to get an Union S300 size motor/gearbox unit. A wonderful looking parkflyer named the 'Nora' was the talk of the town but fetched a price which is nowhere near what we are getting right now.

Then RCM magazine published a Speed 400 Buttercup parkflyer construction article, which has an equally smart look. I did not have any Speed400 motor and gearbox to go with and so I redesigned it to accept my Union motor unit.

I shrunk the wingspan from 50" to 40" and utilised an old Hitec MOSFET speed controller and a 6 cells 300mah Nicd pack, made up with 2 packs of cordless phone battery. The structure is fully built-up and hardly any sheeted surface and is covered with ultralight Litespan iron-on coverings. The result is astonishing as this bird climbs at 30-40 degrees at full power and the tiny rudder was effective enough to stir a roll if coaxed. In those days, there's hardly any electric plane that'll match it's performance although flight lasted only about 4-5 minutes. I later added 1 more cell to the pack and got even more spritely performances.

When the Nimh cells appears, I got hold of some 600mah GP cells and made some packs, which doubles to duration. The first model eventually crashed when the elevator pushrod buckled after numerous consecutive loops. Although the damage wasn't bad, I decided to build a 2nd model.

The 2nd one flew as well as the first but eventually got into a mid-air with another parkflyer and got one of its wings cleanly sheared off in flight. The model landed softly onto thick grasses and suffered no further damage. I rebuilt another pair of wings and it went into business again. Eventually, I lost interest in it and gave it to my buddy who wanted one very badly.

While I still got some 540 size buggy motors lying around, I built an enlarged version with multiple LEDs that can be flown at night. However, It took up quite some space and I passed it one to another friend of mine.

Some years later, I started to miss the Buttercup and built myself the 4th model, using the same setup, but eventually ventured into Lipo packs. At one flight, the plane climbed vertically to about 70 feet before the wings said bye-bye to the fuselage, sending it plummeting down. Surprisingly, the damages were very minor and I repaired it before giving it to another friend.

Months ago, while I was shopping at our LHS, I noticed that the GWS s300 motor gearbox units are getting cheaper while everybody is battling with each other with brushless motors. I though that there are still a lot of good use to these cheap units and got myself one. The first plane design that came across my mine is the Buttercup again, and right after the Freedom 20 got airborne for the first time, I found myself cutting some balsa again.

This is a picture of the second model.
                    wow good job!
                    the 1st one is super heavy with the nicad rite?
                    -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                    -Mouton 1600 EV
                    -AMD micro chili
                    -HK Kinetic800
                    -SF Learjet45

Comment

Saw it flew.. .was beeeeuuutteeeeefuuuulllll....... white color some more...
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Touch n Go
                        wow good job!
                        the 1st one is super heavy with the nicad rite?
                        Not quite. I use only 300mah Nicd pack which weighs about the same as the 600mah nimh. But it has only about 4 mins of flight duration.

Comment

I'm considering doing this for my 2nd balsa build.

Night flyer, too.

Any things to take note of?

I'll post pictures here, if you don't mind.
                          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I still recall seeing your earlier Buttercup - I think there was a giant one too - flying at the Marina South flying site years ago. I think you often buzzed the storm drain ie. you were flying right inside and along it.
                            To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
                              I'm considering doing this for my 2nd balsa build.

Night flyer, too.

Any things to take note of?

I'll post pictures here, if you don't mind.

Buy lots of 1/8" balsa sticks, medium to hard grades. Do not try to overpower this plane. You'll get very spritely performance with around 40 Watts of output power.

Comment

Working...
                              X