Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D flying tips and tricks

Hi all,

I have gotten some questions on 3D flying and I thought I might share the following links with you guys.

Video link of a cool 50inch Extra 300 EP 3D aerobatics

I personally am learning some of these moves and would consider myself a beginner still in 3Ding. Here's some of the moves that I am still trying to figure out and would appreciate any fliers who may give their opinions.

Inverter Spin:

I have no trouble getting upright spin but I have only 50-50 chance with inverted for some reasons on my Yak. Normally, I would enter with vertical up, stall the plane, cut throttle, left rudder, full up elevator. Wait for some sign of a slight spin, apply 1/3 to half throttle and feed in full right Aileron. Inverted will be the same procedure, right rudder, full down elevator, wait for some sign of spin, feed in 1/3 to half throttle and full right aileron. Sometimes it works, sometimes it becomes a dive weird spin.

Hover:
    My Yak is a bitch to hover for some reasons and it tends to drop its nose. Derrick has been nice enough to point out the downward thrust angle I have, Will be putting in some slight upthrust to see if it helps. I just can't seem to find the vertical point after I switched from Hacker 10XL to AXI 2826 motor.

Rolling Harrier:
    I am cheating on this move slightly for now, I do mostly right and left knifeedge harrier with some elevator inputs interval to keep the nose up. Anyone with mode 2 here can offer some inputs?
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

49 views and no inputs? Dun be shy lar, I am sure there are some who can do all these and some who are learning it too.

Comment

hi Edmund,

here is one video that will definitely inspire you further ...
      KATANA MD 3D FLYING

Please watch closely to it's RUDDER and ELEVATOR as it HARRIER ROLL pass at low level... this is one of the best video to study Harrier Rolls...
      The inputs of the Rudder are timed alternatively with the inputs of the elevator at different axis...

We are waiting for its arrival though

Look forward to see you Saturday and share about some 3D manoeuvres ...

SKY HOBBIES SINGAPORE
      200, Jalan Sultan, #02-36A, Textile Centre, Singapore 199018. (along Jalan Sultan)
      2 Blocks away from KEYPOINT, Nearest MRT - Lavender MRT, ICA building side
      Tel : +65 6293 3968
      Official You Tube Channel
      FACEBOOK :

Comment

try shifting the cg back a little? for the hover..
        TX:2 Sanwa Quasars , Futaba 9C super (heli)
        Gliders :JW 54 , Sprinter , Flip400 (unbuilt)
        Planes: Jumping Jack,,Zoom 4D,IFO, magic 3d,
        Helis:Feda,Zap 400

Comment

here's another video: ZAKWEST on SOMENZINI YAK54 at TUCSON Arizona

SKY HOBBIES SINGAPORE
          200, Jalan Sultan, #02-36A, Textile Centre, Singapore 199018. (along Jalan Sultan)
          FACEBOOK :

Comment

Buddy ive been a fan of 3Ding since i got into this hobby.
            You've got the best to help you out, go all out, dont pamper ure plane is what Derrick told me, to gain something in this sport you gotta loose alot of things in this hobby as far my opinion goes, get more inputs from Derrick n other guys they will always have gd inputs.... All the best buddy...
            cheers... vin
            HucKKK Fest''

Comment

hey many thanks for the video Derrick. I will take a good look at the harrier portion.

YZY, could it be unique for plane to plane? I noticed that it is especially much easier to hover another plane and find its "vertical point" where very little input is needed. I will try the a more aft cg and see. Just a bit worried about it getting too tail heavy for proper landing lol.

Comment

Hey Derrick, any chance you might bring in the Yak 54 from 3Dhobbyshop.com? I am dying to get my hands on one of those yak and Extra 300. Those clowns don't ship to Singapore

Comment

Edmond,
                  You know that I'm a worse flyer than you, so take this with a pinch of salt.

I read on another forum about the plane balance on 3 axis. Often, when we look for the CG we are only concern about the longitudinal axis front to back.

That is ok when we glide or fly sedated. But with 3D, lighter planes, there is a bigger need to centre the CG on the left/right and up/down axis as well.

The Left/Right is quite easy.

the up/down axis can be checked by hanging the plane from the ceiling with a string attached to it's props. The plane should be perfectly vertical, perpendicular to the ground. if not, you'd need to move the battery up or down to correct the cg. This makes alot of sense when you are trying to hover cos a high cg (nearer the canopy of the plane) will cause it to flip back and a low cg (nearer the landing gears) will cause the plane to nose down.

This is only theoretical knowledge for me as I'm still finishing my
                  4S BIPE. will let you know if all this works out for me when it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22
                    Hey Derrick, any chance you might bring in the Yak 54 from 3Dhobbyshop.com? I am dying to get my hands on one of those yak and Extra 300. Those clowns don't ship to Singapore

can't recall exactly where but have read somewhere about this region was listed as one of their CC Fraud blacklist prob that's one the reason they are just taking their precautionary measures... perhaps you can opt out CC transaction and persuade them to accept wire transfer instead?

SKY HOBBIES SINGAPORE
                    FACEBOOK :

Comment

Originally posted by nickchew
                      Edmond,
                      You know that I'm a worse flyer than you, so take this with a pinch of salt.

I read on another forum about the plane balance on 3 axis. Often, when we look for the CG we are only concern about the longitudinal axis front to back.

That is ok when we glide or fly sedated. But with 3D, lighter planes, there is a bigger need to centre the CG on the left/right and up/down axis as well.

The Left/Right is quite easy.

the up/down axis can be checked by hanging the plane from the ceiling with a string attached to it's props. The plane should be perfectly vertical, perpendicular to the ground. if not, you'd need to move the battery up or down to correct the cg. This makes alot of sense when you are trying to hover cos a high cg (nearer the canopy of the plane) will cause it to flip back and a low cg (nearer the landing gears) will cause the plane to nose down.

This is only theoretical knowledge for me as I'm still finishing my
                      4S BIPE. will let you know if all this works out for me when it is done.

That is what I am concerned about! thanks, somehow I can;t get the "vertical point" if you know what I mean, let me go experiment and get back.

Comment

Yo Edmund,
                        Practise....practise....practice
                        That's all I can say

Flying Without Wings

Comment

yar kekeke, we both have been practising hard lol.

Tell us your secrets to your harrier. It is one of the lowest and stable ones I seen around locally

Comment

Get a "light" 3D profile foamie and come fly 3D in my hangar on Sat mornings ...I'm sure your hovering (Prop hang) will improve !

....Nothing improves your 3D flying skills faster then having 4 walls and a low roof as constrains !
                            Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit
                              Get a "light" 3D profile foamie and come fly 3D in my hangar on Sat mornings ...I'm sure your hovering (Prop hang) will improve !

....Nothing improves your 3D flying skills faster then having 4 walls and a low roof as constrains !

Tony, actually for profile planes, I have already mastered controlled hovering. The last time I did that was on Charles's 4D zoom and Jimboz's Christen Eagle. Funny thing is, those profiles are easy to find and maintain the "vertical point". The Yak I have needs a lot of fighting with the controls. When Derrick pointed out the downthrust, I am increasingly getting more aware of probable setup issues like thrust angles, cg and power ratio kekeke. Maybe I should ask Alfian to let me try out his extra 300, darn he is mode 1 keke.

Comment

Working...
                              X