Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitro Fuel Weakening Fuseleage

Hello,

I noticed that my fuel from the engine mount is weakening the joints in my fuseleage. What can i do to prevent in future? Epoxy the areas before 1st engine run? lacquering? thanks!

Epoxy and CA are fuelproof but the area should be coated when still new. Once the fuel has seeped in , you have a hard time. Some other products like Clearkote from SHS and Coverite fuelproofer from NTC are excellent, which seal the film edges and the bare wood very well. But do it outdoors as they contain harmful fumes.

Comment

You do need to fuel proof the engine bay area or any other bare wood area that will be exposed to fuel residue before your first flight. A thin coat (or two) of Z-poxy Finishing Resin will do the job.

Joe - Is that the Clearkote by Deluxe Materials? I tested the matt Clear Kote over waterbased acrylic paint and found that 15% fuel will cause it to turn rubbery and eventually rub off exposing the paint beneath it.
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

No. The Clearkote is from the same company as the Solarfilm. It is formulated specially for R/C use. It is resistant to high nitro fuel and helps the stick the film down better as it also has heat sensitive adhesive within. For mildly fuel soaked wood, it also can be applied over it for sealing. The Balsarite from Coverite seems to be the same but a lot more dilute. They are the best products I even use for such purpose.

Epoxy and CA will fuel proof the bare surfaces but will make the film difficult to stick. They are very difficult to get an fuel tight seal over the edges.

Comment

OIC. I think are talking about different things. My mistake. Sorry. I was referring not to Clearkote but Aerokote (by Deluxe Materials). Supposed to be a fuel proofer but so far, its been nothing but crap. Stay clear of this stuff. I've written to the manufacturers but have gotten nothing but silence so I guess they must know that they are selling crap too.

Is Clearkote a fuel proofer? I've been looking for a good fuel proofer. What is its full name (brand). I'll go get it to try out. Need a good fuel proofer for my next project, which will have a spray paint finish over Ceconite fabric.

Confucius

Comment

My apology. It is called Clearcoat and has the Solarfilm logo on the label. It is designed as a lacquer to be applied on Solartex to give the gloss finishing. And so, it has to be fuel proof which I have no doubt after using it for years.

Comment

I'll go down to SHS to buy a can to try over the paint I intend to use. I don't recall seeing it at the shop.......but then I wasn't specifically looking for it. What do you use to thin it with? I will need to thin it for spraying.

Confucius

Comment

I just brush it over directly. If you need to thin, I think you'll need acetone. Must check the label. You must thin it for spraying anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X