Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formosa II power setup

Hi all!

i'm new here and i'm thinking of getting a formosa II. But i need some help with the power setup. I've seen vortices' thread on his formosa 2 with 650watt X-motor (xm3548ca-4) bl motor at 1080 kv and 3s2p setup. I'm pretty sure that motor will give tons of power. But is it a little overkill for this plane?? I was thinking of a lighter setup using dualsky XM3530CA-14 1000RPM/V 250W brushless motor and 1700mah 16C lipo. Is it gonna be powerful enough?? Or would it be better if i use XM3542CA-5 1120RPM/V 450W motor instead?? Do i need to have a 3s2p setup if i use the XM3542CA-5 with 1700mah 16C lipo??

If anyone could help it'll be great!

holycow-

Hi,

I guess a 250W motor will be probably underpowered for F2. If you just want to fly S&L. the 250W motor will not be a problem. But for F2, I guess you it to do some basic aerobatics, that itself will need a bit of juice. In addition, if you run on a 250W motor, you will be running on full throttle a all time just to keep it flying. For a 450~650W motor, at least you can run it on 70~80% of the throttle, which also the most effective thrust setting for any motor. 250W motor will be jsut nice for F1.

Cheers

Happy Flying.
    Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Ic.. So 250W of power is definitely not enough... Maybe i would get the 450W instead. But if i use the 450W motor will i be required to use 3s2p if i'm using 1700mah 16C lipo??

Comment

oh anyway i'll be using the F2 to do some aerobatic. Hope i will be a nice plane to fly.

Comment

Hi,

FII is a better plane for aeros as it is heavier, which translate to more stable in outdoor condition compared to FI. For batt, it is advisable to use a 2000 range for a decent flt time. You can use your 1700 batt, but since your motor can run on 450W, whcih roughly equate to about 40A, you can affort a bigger batt and higher rating ESC. What ESC are you running now? Recommended setting for FII. 450W, 1000KV motor, 35~45A ESC, 2000mAH 20C batt and 9" prop.
          For FII, you might want to do some modification so that the batt is loaded from top thru the canopy rather than slung underneath.

Cheers

Happy Flying...
          Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

oh... right now i'm using towerpro 30A Esc. ok that's bad. then looks like i'll have to change my ESC and use 3s2p configuration. But nonetheless i'll measure the Amp drawn first before my decision on the batt combination. Anyway thanks for the help!

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
            Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

hi,
              Just to give you some input on power-setup on 'the other end of the specturm'. I have a Himax 2816-890 with an APC 10X 7 APC "electric Prop" (and not the 'Slow Flyer"), wired to a 3 cell 1300mAh Lipo. Current drawn is 11A at 6900 rpm. the FII can do veritcal and axil roll with ease. It can do 'torque roll' - but as I am not very good at it, in did 'hang-on' long enough.

Fun plane to fly!

Comment

f 2 power

Hi Eflight

I m surprise yr setup can do so much wonder. Only 200w. What is your total weight ? and what is the secret ? woodlands many of them are using the Hacker A30 and are struggling with power.

XM3542CA-5 1120RPM/V 450W will use a prop range of 9*5 to 12*6. it is a bit heavy but it is equal to .21 glow. can pull big planes. and some more is so much cheaper compare to himax and hacker.

http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...26_88_102.html for the spec.

I thinking of building f2, will be thinking of 650w... it is definitely over power... but nobody complains about addition WOW power right ?

Bear

Comment

Yar i'm wondering too. So what's the secret Most probably i'll give the 3542CA-5 450W a shot. Once i got it up i'll tell you guys how it goes

Comment

f2

alright,

lets fly together some day then....!! U going to install retracts for your f2 ?

....feel the need ... the need for speed ...!!

Bear

Comment

Hui Flying Bear,
                      There is not secret but sorry to dissappoint you - my power setup is for aerobatics, rather than speed. the All-Up-Weight (AUP) is 750gm. I can good wind penetration -even in a 'stiff wind' like those in woodlands in the pm.

The key thing is to experiment with the prop pitch and diameter as well as the design (brand) of the prop - and balance the prop!! Get a good prop balancer - it pay for itself in term of battery and motor required to fly your plane.

Here is a picture of it - it is not the greatest looking plane, but i flies the way I like it.

Comment

hi all,
                        counldnt help but i would like to add my 2 cents worth.
                        My F2 runs on Himax 2816-890, TP2100 3s, but the secret is the prop - APC 12x3.8SF. I have tried many other prop sizes but couldnt get the F2 to prop hang. Then I saw a video on skyhobbies n they hv a Katana Mini using Himax 2025 wif APC12x3.8.
                        So i thought to myself, if 2025 (175W) can do it, 2816 should too!
                        My F2 is a little slow, but it flys 3D pretty well.
                        Of course if u want more speed, try Hacker A30-16M, 104gm. My friends are using that.
                        BTW, junk the tower pro esc, it has too much internal resistance, try other brand, u will be surprised by the extra power!

Comment

Originally posted by flying bear
                          alright,

lets fly together some day then....!! U going to install retracts for your f2 ?

....feel the need ... the need for speed ...!!

Bear
                          Hey sure man. My F2 is still in the process of building. Not gonna put retracts for my F2 but definitely not going to use the stock landing gear. Heard it's pretty weak. Gonna put like those extra, edge kinda of landing gear like what i saw some ppl did in rcgroups. But still looking for one.

Comment

wooo i just gotten my XM3542CA-5 450W motor on friday found out something strange. On it's website the XM3542CA-5 is rated 1120kv but on the motor itself it is printed 1050kv. Not sure which is correct Tested the motor with a APC 10X4.7 prop and measured the amp drawn using my Wattmeter. It's drawing around 38A at full throttle! Time to upgrade my ESC and batt. Do you guys think a 40A ESC is enough? And what batt do you guys recommend? Was thinking the DN power 2150mah 20C as it's more economical. Or should i pay abit more and get the new FP 2150mah 25C? Anyway the plane is weighted at 600+g without the batt.

Comment

Fii

i am flying with XM3542-5 450w with 11x7E. very powerful setup but the motor sucks the amp like hell!!! i will recommend to plant in a 60A esc. by the way, its really really good patten plane as it floats very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X