X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions - Connectors & Wires

Hi,
    Question 1
    I am wondering wat type of connectors should i use if i were to run an electric motor with 80A of current draw? I have gone around and those deans connector are rated at 40amps only. <-reading material mentioned 100A

Anybody has used other connectors like Anderson or watever that does the job? Can advice?

Reading Material:

Question 2
    I have seen 12 AWG wires and 14AWG wires being used for 80A escs. Does it really matter if i were to stick to 14 AWG? Wat are the factors that govern the ampere rating of a wire? Any expert advice on this issue?

Cheers

hi bro, no need to worry so much if you keep your lipo 3cell less than 2100Mah.

just get common T-plugs will do:

more imprt is to keep the plane light, and enjoyable.

cheers!
    Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Cant, cannot..... impossible

Bro, Not possible !!!
      The battery are 3700mah and will be connected in 4s config. Battery constant is 20-30C. Therefore i might get 3.7*20 = 74 Amps theoretically base on 20C. Just started HIGH voltage Electric RC

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by surfs
        Bro, Not possible !!!
        The battery are 3700mah and will be connected in 4s config. Battery constant is 20-30C. Therefore i might get 3.7*20 = 74 Amps theoretically base on 20C. Just started HIGH voltage Electric RC

Cheers
        I'm using 3.5mm gold plugs for 16 Sub-C cells. So far no problems.
        For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Hey thanks, i have heard that the gold pin works. I am just looking out for more options.

It is interesting to know that not many pple in SG flys high performance electric plane.

Comment

Refer to this:

Rating for 14AWG is only 15amp. If you're really runing on 80amp you will soon see a fire bird. .

The correct size is 1AWG but it's going to be big and heavy copper dia 7.35mm. Never try such high current b4, cant help much, but all I know is very thing from battery to motor has to be 80-100amp rating.

Just curious what about ur esc?
            Lonely flyer

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Lim
              Refer to this:

Rating for 14AWG is only 15amp. If you're really runing on 80amp you will soon see a fire bird. .

The correct size is 1AWG but it's going to be big and heavy copper dia 7.35mm. Never try such high current b4, cant help much, but all I know is very thing from battery to motor has to be 80-100amp rating.

Well that is reason why i posted this thread. Apparently ALL the ESC that are selling in the market range between 12 -14 awg.

According to some EE engineers, the 12-14awg wires are able to take high current, but in terms of seconds - minutes before it heats up to the point of failure.

<<"The correct size is 1AWG ",>> you are quite rite!!!
              If you are drawing a continuous current of 80A for a prolong period of time (in terms of hrs to days). The wires should not heat up above a certain temperature to deliver the current. There are some international standards for this measurement hence contributed to the part of the wire ratings.

I have been given an interesting description from a friend. He mentioned that my LIPO might be fried before the wires heats to the point of failure presuming that my ESC is indestructible!!!! Theoretically in at full power for ~3 mins, I might see fire.

Well, i have to agree that most electric flyer don't fly continuously at full throttle, so current drawn is AVERAGE. Furthermore the duration per flight is short. So……. No worries 12- 14 awg wires, deans ultra, gold bullet pins, Anderson powerpoles, etc, can be used but needs frequent inspections.

Comment

Gold pin rating is about 80amp. Other way to go is maybe solder 2 14AWG to one pin, dn't know, maybe is ok
                Lonely flyer

Comment

Gold pin rating is about 80amp. Other way to go is maybe solder 2 14AWG to one pin, dn't know, maybe is ok
                  I don't even think those giant scale electric fliers do that! I think it's an overkill. In my opinion, i think it's safe to use whatever wire the ESC uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Artyspec
                    I don't even think those giant scale electric fliers do that! I think it's an overkill. In my opinion, i think it's safe to use whatever wire the ESC uses.
                    I agree, i have also consulted those guys flying Jets and larger electric fliers too.

Basically just follow whatever the ESC specify. connectors: anderson powderpoles & dean's ultra. Just check the resistance after soldering to ensure the optimium bonding.

Comment

Refer to this:

Take note of the information stated before the table

The diameter information in the table applies to SOLID WIRES. Stranded wires are calculated by calculating the equivalent cross-sectional copper area. The table below assumes DC or frequencies equal to or less than 60 Hz, and does not take SKIN EFFECT into account."
                      Due to the high frequency of ESCs(at least a few KHz which are way above 60Hz) and higher overall surface area of all the strands, I suppose stranded wires can take higher currrent than solid wires of the same AWG. This is taken from another page

"High frequency and heavy current electricity travels near the outside of the wire. This is commondly known as the skin effect and is resposible for some power loss within the circuit."

Comment

Cool..... it is a good knowledge to acquire. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X