Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: Tower Pro esc and Align BL

DO NOT use the Tower Pro 30A esc and and Align 420L, 430L motors!
    I was building a Flycat and decided that since I hv these laying around, I might as well use them. BIG MISTAKE!
    1st I used a HobbyWing 25A with Align 420L. The Esc cuts at full thro. So I thought, why dont fit a bigger esc.
    So in went the TP 30A. Connect up everthing, advance the thro slowly to 1/2 n smoke came out of the motor!
    Not convinced, I then fixed in the 430L motor. Again, smoke!
    Very expensive lession!!!

Originally posted by sbc
    I was building a Flycat and decided that since I hv these laying around, I might as well use them. BIG MISTAKE!
    1st I used a HobbyWing 25A with Align 420L. The Esc cuts at full thro. So I thought, why dont fit a bigger esc.
    So in went the TP 30A. Connect up everthing, advance the thro slowly to 1/2 n smoke came out of the motor!
    Could it be you fix the wires wrongly
    sigpicGround is closer than it appear...

Comment

There must be a shock somewhere in your motor. The HW 25A cut thro bcos it hit its max current, that's the safety feature. But TP dn't have such safety build in.

Check the wire coil in the motor, if I'm not wrong the wire coating melt liao.

Hai.... same with my.
      Lonely flyer

Comment

If lightning strike twice at the same place, then you may want to check if there is a lightning rod somewhere.

Comment

i guess hugh is right, too high amp running through your motor. Since it is a 30amp ESC it is able to output 5 more amp than your HW25A esc. you should have set the throttle end point to 70% or less, then slowly advance and see if the ESC cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by sbc
            Saw your thread.I see two problem here.
            Problem1
            Your 25 A Hobbywing ESC cut at max power could be a crabby installation of the heatsink to the mosfet. I have open other china made ESC and found that between the Mosfet and the heatsink this people use double sided tape . How to conduct heat this way. The heatsink will appear warm during operation ....does not mean is good.

Problem2, Tower pro smoking the BL mtr means there is a short somewhere or a failed component inside the ESC.
            As for the Tower pro ESC that smoke the Brushless motor, I am afraid you may have to throw them away unless you know how to trouble shoot and repair the ESC.

Some China made ESC use double sided tape to hold the heatsink to the mosfet IC. No wonder after running sometimes usually at half to full power , motor will hiccups every now and then. ...so this is the story of some China made ESC. They will do anything to save a few bucks at your expenses.

Solution only to motor hiccups only (not the ESC that smoke your motor): if you know how. cut the heat shrink and re-install the heat sink by removing the doubleside tape carefully. Re-apply a thin layer of thermal grease to the heat sink and hold the heat sink to the PCB by applying hot melt to the four corners. Re-shrink the ESc and you are go to go.
            When you run high amps, the heat sink should feel hot.

I hope this will help.

Comment

Originally posted by sbc
              Jus curious, 420L is a 2500kv motor?
              You saw smoking when u tried running the motor loaded with what size prop?

Will you be willing to try running the motor without any prop? Jus for a split second to see if it works... running motor unloaded for too long will spoil the motor. Many a times we screw the mounting screws for the motor too deep into the can, jamming the rotating core...not sure if this is wat happened in your case.

Comment

Latest update on TP ESC and Align BL

Thks for all the suggestions. This is the latest update.
                The TP 30A esc - No i did not throw it away. I hv now decided to use it only for the Himax motor in the Filton Edge. It worked fine bf n its working fine now.
                For the Flycat, I got another Align 420L and I m now using it wif a ALIGN ESC. No problem there too.

Conclusion: I hv decided that from now on, I'll only use align esc for align high speed (above 2800VA) BL motors.

Comment

Working...
                X