Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help on Boosting Motor Speed on Slowstick

Hi, i'm new in this forum and started RC flying about 1 month ago. I currently have a slowstick powered by EPS400C Gear D, 1060 prop, 15a esc and 2s 7.4v 1200 lipo 10C battery. Well, i have no problem with flying on this configuration except it is a bit 'slow'.

I'm thinking of changing to a 3s 11.1 v Lipo battery to give some boost to the motor. Will this be too much for my 15a esc? Will EPS400c engine draw more than 15 ampere on a slow stick thus burning the esc?

I have no intention to go brushless for the time being.

Appreciate your kind advice.
    In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies only permanent interest - Lord Palmerston

11.1v will kill your brushed motor and ESC, definitely not recommended

Comment

You mean a 11.1V 3s lipo battery on a EPS400c Gear D motor will draw more than 15amp from the battery thus burning both out?

I'm unable to find any information on the maximum current draw for EPS400C. However one guy mention at rcgroup that he measured 9amp draw using 11.1v and 3s lipo on his warbird. Many people have reported success with 11.1v 3s except that it shorten the motor life.

Appreciate further advice. Thanks in advance for sharing with newbie here.
      In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies only permanent interest - Lord Palmerston

Comment

i've tried using 3s for brushed motor before. It will give the motor more power but i guess the only down thing is it will shorten the motor's life.

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
        Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

i've tried using 3s for brushed motor before. It will give the motor more power but i guess the only down thing is it will shorten the motor's life.

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
          Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

Hi guys,

Had tested a brushed motor on 3S. Result, motor fried within 2 weeks on flying. But of course, if you don't fly at full throttle, the lifespan of the motor will be longer. The cause of the dead motor is the burnt out brushes under the high temp generated by high voltage/current which is required to spin the prop. Those motor are generally designed to run on either 8.4 or 9.6V. Running on 11.1V is a bit overdrive.

Cheers

Happy Flying.
            Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

bigger prop

I think you should use a 1180 or 1260 prop for your slow stick instead of 100 or 1080. If you read the recommended prop size for that motor behind the package of new motor, its stated as 11 or 12 inch prop for a d gear.I know that some guys got 1080 prop bundle in box but that`s just not the correct size.happy flying

Comment

Btw as the name implies, it`s suppose to be slow...otherwise it`ll be call a faststick..haha

Comment

Pls remember to reinforce the wind! A 3mm CF rod across the metal tube forming the dihedral on LE/TE will reduce the possibility of the wing folding

Comment

When you increase from 2 cells to 3 cells lipo, reduce the prop diameter or pitch before starting .

Advise to get yourself a clamp on DC ammeter to measure the current so as not to exceed rating of motor and ESC.

Clamp on ammeter do not introduce resistance to your systems and hence results are more accurate especially when the setup is hot....over 20 ampere

cheers

Comment

try a 1170 on the 2s, I used it with good result on the eps400c d gear.

I tried 3s on the same setup with a heatsink on the motor. Never had the chance to fly the motor until in died coz i went brushless. I think it is not so much about the power into the motor that kills it, it is the rpm that kills the brush. I had the eps400c d gear 1170 3s combo on the slowstick and formosa, good speed and thrust, but heavy.

It is ok to use your 15amp esc, coz you don't go full burst of the slowstick for that long. I uesd a ics300 and a isc480. Both handled the current.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flameangel
                        Hi, i'm new in this forum and started RC flying about 1 month ago. I currently have a slowstick powered by EPS400C Gear D, 1060 prop, 15a esc and 2s 7.4v 1200 lipo 10C battery. Well, i have no problem with flying on this configuration except it is a bit 'slow'.

I'm thinking of changing to a 3s 11.1 v Lipo battery to give some boost to the motor. Will this be too much for my 15a esc? Will EPS400c engine draw more than 15 ampere on a slow stick thus burning the esc?

I have no intention to go brushless for the time being.

Appreciate your kind advice.
                        Okay, I try to explain to you with confusing you too much.

You said you feel that this current config is a bit slow, which I believe that you are talking about the speed of the plane.

To make to fly faster, increasing the motor RPM is NOT the only way to do so. You can also try increasing the propellor PITCH. Each Lipo cell has around 3.6V and increasing 1 more cell will overwork your motor, although 2 cells is a little underwork. The next practical way to increase flying speed is to increase the propellor pitch. 1060 prop means 10" in diameter and 6" pitch, which means the prop travels 6" forward every turn. Increasing the pitch to 7" means the prop travels another inch forward for every turn. This can make a lot of differences, and is the cheapest way as well.

However, simply increase the pitch will increase the motor load, which leads to a drop in RPM. It is a compromise. Normally, if we increase the pitch by 1", we also drop the diameter by 1", to roughly keep the motor load and RPM constant. However, if your motor is underworked in the first place, the motor RPM will not drop too much even with the increase of load. Your best bet is to go for 1070 or 1080. Do not increase the prop diameter. You lose even more speed although static thrust may increased.

Comment

With all humility, i thank all for your kind advice! I will try out a larger prop this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X